RT-590 pork butts, 18 hours at 225. Sonny Salt rub. Smoked in their own juices, I always use the foil baking pans for butts. Let rest 2 hours.

Bama fan

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
PXL_20220122_143256130.jpg

You let them go in the foil pan the entire cook? I hate to admit it but I have yet to do a one of these on the Bull as I had some nasty pulled pork years ago done in a crockpot and have been shy to try again regardless of the method. I think we got bad meat honestly.

I see Costco has $5 off a package starting yesterday so might give it another go.

Not a fan of Costco boneless, good luck!

You let them go in the foil pan the entire cook? I hate to admit it but I have yet to do a one of these on the Bull as I had some nasty pulled pork years ago done in a crockpot and have been shy to try again regardless of the method. I think we got bad meat honestly.

I see Costco has $5 off a package starting yesterday so might give it another go.
Pulled pork on the Bull is great.
Only have done 2 so far.
I’m dying to spend the extra $ on a shoulder from Porter Road one day.

Great.. go figure lol
I think they are OK. You do lose some flavoring from not having the bone in them but they cook a little quicker. Also, they are not one big solid chunk since they have to cut away at it to get the bone out.

The last one I did I cooked all night at 180 and around noon stuck it in a foil pan and covered it for the rest of the cook. I think I pulled it around 6pm and let it sit in the pan mostly covered until it was time to eat. I don't go by meat temp, just pull when it gets tender. I've used Meatchurch hog seasoning (can't remember what it is called but it is on the sweet side) and then went over it again with their voodoo. I've also done their holy gospel and voodoo. Both turned out pretty good but Rudy's rub is still my personal favorite.

You do lose some flavoring from not having the bone in them but they cook a little quicker...
My experience is that you will not lose flavor when smoking a boneless pork butt. The bone in a pork butt is a blade bone, meaning it has no marrow which is where the flavor from bone-in cuts comes from. I prefer boneless pork butts because a) you don’t pay for the bone and b) with the bone removed you have much more exposed surface area to apply the rub.

Well I went for the $5 off the name brand boneless deal at Costco.. Been wanting to try doing one of these so have to break the Bull in one way or another. If this is a success, I'll try some other options of cuts. Wife loves pulled pork I have been the one resisting. We'll see :).

There are probably 2 butts in that package. But cook them both at once. PP can be vacuum sealed and frozen. I usually start mind at 6 AM on the grates at 180 for an hour or so. Then I crank to 225 until the meat hits 165 IT. Then I put them in aluminum pans and cover, with a little apple juice in the bottom. I pull when IT is around 205. I put both pans in a cooler full of towels for a few hours to allow the fat to render some more. I then let them sit on counter for 1/2 hour or so before I'm ready to pull. Turns out great every time and no need for overnight cooking.

There are probably 2 butts in that package. But cook them both at once. PP can be vacuum sealed and frozen. I usually start mind at 6 AM on the grates at 180 for an hour or so. Then I crank to 225 until the meat hits 165 IT. Then I put them in aluminum pans and cover, with a little apple juice in the bottom. I pull when IT is around 205. I put both pans in a cooler full of towels for a few hours to allow the fat to render some more. I then let them sit on counter for 1/2 hour or so before I'm ready to pull. Turns out great every time and no need for overnight cooking.

Good info.. never thought there could be 2 in the package. I'm planning it around a small family get together and they usually like to eat early more like a late lunch early dinner so for this one I might start at night and hope ready to go into a pan when I get up and finish it off. Thank you.

My experience is that you will not lose flavor when smoking a boneless pork butt. The bone in a pork butt is a blade bone, meaning it has no marrow which is where the flavor from bone-in cuts comes from. I prefer boneless pork butts because a) you don’t pay for the bone and b) with the bone removed you have much more exposed surface area to apply the rub.
It may be all in my head, but I always think the ones with the bone in them are better.

Since the names are used interchangeably sometimes, it is best to know that pork shoulder and pork butt are different cuts of meat. Pork but has more marbling and is best for pulled pork. Unfortunately it is my understanding that some stores sometimes mislabel their packaging.

Since the names are used interchangeably sometimes, it is best to know that pork shoulder and pork butt are different cuts of meat. Pork but has more marbling and is best for pulled pork. Unfortunately it is my understanding that some stores sometimes mislabel their packaging.
Thanks, makes sense.

So what would this be?

View attachment 14528
That’s just a two pack of boneless pork butts. It’s the right cut, just no blade bone in it. You just have to decide if you are cooking one or both. I’ve done a few of these from Costco when my butcher shop doesn’t have any bone in and they come out fine. I assure you it won’t turn out like crockpot pulled pork. You have enough experience with other smokes that you’ll do great on this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back