RT 590 new owner need advice and help!

MVIMG_20220716_125952.jpg

Wonder if any of these still work?

Ok guys the latest update, I was on the phone all morning Saturday with recteq. We ran tests cooks for an hour each at set point of 225° at different feed rates. Started at 2.0 then 1.5 then .5 after all of these it proved what I've been trying to tell them all along. The actual temp will consistently run from 221 to 255 just up and down never will settle and stay on set point. So after all that the cs rep still refuses to accept the fact there's a problem with the grill. That sets me off and after several not so nice words I ask for a supervisor or a boss. A gentleman that claims to be the supervisor gets on the phone and immediately starts going on and on about how the feed rate is like a carburetor on a car and that everything is working as it should. This rambling goes on for 15 minutes without me even getting a chance to say a word, he finally gives me a chance to speak, I said with all due respect I'm 62 years old and have probably forgotten more about carburetors than you will ever know, now lets get this god d**n grill fixed. So after 30 more minutes of finger pointing and arguing they are sending me "free of charge" some of there pellets to try. (I've already tried 3 different brands) Sorry for the lengthy rant !!

Ok guys the latest update, I was on the phone all morning Saturday with recteq. We ran tests cooks for an hour each at set point of 225° at different feed rates. Started at 2.0 then 1.5 then .5 after all of these it proved what I've been trying to tell them all along. The actual temp will consistently run from 221 to 255 just up and down never will settle and stay on set point. So after all that the cs rep still refuses to accept the fact there's a problem with the grill. That sets me off and after several not so nice words I ask for a supervisor or a boss. A gentleman that claims to be the supervisor gets on the phone and immediately starts going on and on about how the feed rate is like a carburetor on a car and that everything is working as it should. This rambling goes on for 15 minutes without me even getting a chance to say a word, he finally gives me a chance to speak, I said with all due respect I'm 62 years old and have probably forgotten more about carburetors than you will ever know, now lets get this god d**n grill fixed. So after 30 more minutes of finger pointing and arguing they are sending me "free of charge" some of there pellets to try. (I've already tried 3 different brands) Sorry for the lengthy rant !!
I will be happy to provide a foster home for the grill.

Maybe it’s time to see if the phone numbers for Ray and Ron still work.
I’d first start with Ben‘s number. Assuming he still works there and still cares about these issues like he did when I had a problem a couple of years ago, he will get it resolved.

I'm going to try the numbers tomorrow, I will try Ben's first. Thanks "everyone"

I agree w/ Jim.

S**t flows downhill and the higher you go the more likely the solution will flow down to the worker bees.

I'm not beyond writing directly to the CEO of major companies. I am always amazed that at this level of management someone actually reads snail mail and has someone reply and try to solve the issue.

I have expressed my feelings before about venture capital "investment" in small companies. The influx of money comes with a yielding of power to the investor and pressure to be more profitable. Be prepared down the road a few years when the investor wants their money back.

Sounds like RT is going the route of many other companies and farming out their customer support to India or wherever! Next time you call, ask for a Supervisor and do not accept anyone else!
Is this just supposition, or have you talked with a CS rep that sounded like they were overseas? I have a hard time imagining RT outsourcing their CS overseas, but stranger things have happened.

Is this just supposition, or have you talked with a CS rep that sounded like they were overseas? I have a hard time imagining RT outsourcing their CS overseas, but stranger things have happened.
I dealt with 3 people (unfortunately) - there is no one in India that can pull off any of these guy's accents. Not that they had accents, just American...

Man that sucks :(. Sorry to hear about your experience. Kind of making me uneasy if any issues come up with mine. So far my 590 works well and seems to maintain temps just fine. Seems like in the past they would have replaced parts with little fuss.

The recommended feed rate for the 590 is 1.0 as the latest revision has an upgraded auger motor. Set it to 1.0 and remove any ash left in your firepot.

Then start it again and let it run for an hour and do not open the lid or play with the feed rate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back