Stampede RT-590 Hot Spot??

Riggijc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Got a new RT-590 in July. It seems the right side (opposite of the hopper) runs a little hotter. I haven’t tested it with another probe.

Has anyone had similar experiences?? Are there any hot spots on these grills?

Mine runs a little hotter on the right side. What I have to watch is putting anything near the front or back edge of the drip pan. That’s where the heat rolls up from the fire pot.

All cooking devices have hot spots, all..............that said, yes, most folks notice the right side giving results that indicate a hotter zone. Now, if you really want to be aware of the total picture, in any cooker but in this case for now, buy a loaf of cheap white bread, spread the slices completely across the grate, crank the temp up into the 300s and watch the pattern of toasting. Learning what a cooker does is right up there for knowledge/experience purposes.

All cooking devices have hot spots, all..............that said, yes, most folks notice the right side giving results that indicate a hotter zone. Now, if you really want to be aware of the total picture, in any cooker but in this case for now, buy a loaf of cheap white bread, spread the slices completely across the grate, crank the temp up into the 300s and watch the pattern of toasting. Learning what a cooker does is right up there for knowledge/experience purposes.
For added fun, do that with bacon. 🥓;)

Yep. I definitely move my stuff around left to right and right to left when cooking. I need to do a bread or biscuit test and share my results.

I used 2 fire bricks opposite of the auger. Also have 4 more - 2 on each side under my modified 590 grates for my 2nd shelf. The right side is no longer hotter than the left. I originally was only going to use the fire bricks opposite the auger until I had the idea of using the fire bricks to hold up the 2nd shelf. This set up has worked well for the last 1.5 months. I did chisel out some clearance by the temp probe.

Attachments

• 20210206_150433 (2).jpg
    20210206_150433 (2).jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 175
  • 2nd shelf.jpg
    2nd shelf.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 205
  • 2nd shelf clearance.jpg
    2nd shelf clearance.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 164
  • Clearance to lid.jpg
    Clearance to lid.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 176
I used 2 fire bricks opposite of the auger. Also have 4 more - 2 on each side under my modified 590 grates for my 2nd shelf. The right side is no longer hotter than the left. I originally was only going to use the fire bricks opposite the auger until I had the idea of using the fire bricks to hold up the 2nd shelf. This set up has worked well for the last 1.5 months. I did chisel out some clearance by the temp probe.
That is a VERY interesting solution.

Did the two fire bricks on the right side under the drip pan reduce the hotspot on the right side or did that only happen with the addition of the four other bricks?

If the two bricks in the bottom helps the problem, I will go out and find me a couple right away.

My 590, as everyone else has noted, is hotter on the right than the left. This is a bit annoying when trying to cook multiple items at the same time. Only solution I came up with is playing musical meats in the middle of the cook. I will have to say the temp. difference w/ the 590 is less than the Louisiana Grills LG 900 I sold. LG customer service kept throwing things against the wall but nothing helped. I am thinking that large "barrel on its side" design smokers will always have one end hotter than the other. It appears just to be the nature of the beasts or at least the ones with vent holes along the top rear of the barrel.

Kathleendaron,
A question. Did you check the temp. spread with just the two bricks in the bottom before adding the four on the grate? I was wondering if the extra stabilization was worth giving up 9 linear inches on the grilling surface.

Kathleendaron;

My bad. You are only losing 2.5" of cooking space which is pretty livable.

Ok, did the calibration experiment yesterday as per Recteq video instructions. Placed three remote thermometers on the grate, one left and right center seven rods from edge and one in the middle, stabilized 590 at 250F. Ended up changing the calibration by + 3% to get the center to get the Recteq "actual" temp. to agree with the center thermometer.

For those that are wondering all three thermometers were tested to read 212F in boiling water at 206F above MSL.

The right was about 258 and the left was about 254. Of course these temps went up and down as pellets were added and burned down, which is to be expected. Full swing looks to be in the area of 10F (while RecTeq "actual" temp remained at 250. Really not disturbed by this since my gas oven probably does something similar.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the left and right temps being in the 8F range from the center, "set", and "actual" temps. as this was not my experience w/ a full grate of chicken thighs.

Just for the helluvit, I think I am going to play with the firebrick trick and see if there is any change, especially with food on the grate.

Yes I have too much time on my hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back