Stampede RT-590 High Temp Jumps

I am getting to a point I want to send it back. Obviously, I got a lemon. My buddy has a recteq, received it, assembled it, and the broke it in. He doesn't have one issue with his. I bought it on his recommendation. I am losing my patience. You can only spend so many hours doing tech support on a new product. I am so disappointed.

Important info (keep in mind): I bought the RecTeq upon recommendation from a friend who has one and swears by it. He uses the same pellets as I do. When I received my grill (super fast and well packed) it was missing parts (washers) and had the wrong parts - 2 right horns, instead of a left/right horn. The screen also had a scratch on it, but turns out it was just the film protecting the screen. RecTeq was fantastic with their response.

I received my Recteq RT-590 and broke it in as per instructions. The grill stayed spot on at 400 degrees, halfway in, jumped up 39 degrees and I figured it was calibrating itself. The following day (1st smoke) I put in a bottom round for roast beef. I set it for 220 degrees. Well, midway into the cook, it jumped to 259 degrees. It shot up so quick. I was out on my property working and didn't see/hear the warning in the app. When I finally checked the app, I ran to the other side of my property (grill is on a covered porch) and had to open the grill to cool it down. It continued to smoke the beef without issue. I thought is was just a "fluke" and blew it off.

2nd smoke (today) - I did a cured pork belly for bacon. I set the grill at 200 and let the grill come to temp. then added the belly. I kept an eye on it this time, with the app running close by. It did it again, except this time I took a screen shot. The temp jumped up to 247 degrees. I attached a screen shot. This DOES NOT happen on my Buddy's RecTeq. Does anyone know why these HUGE spikes keep happening?
I use Pit Boss pellets. Probably ain’t that.

I was having the same issue. Huge temp swings. Made me so angry! This grill is supposed to laser in, no fluctuations in temp!

I’m in CA. The Req Teq guy had me turn the Auger feed rate down. I’ve never had the issue again.

Makes me so happy. I can, and do use smoke tubes filled with pellets as well. They don’t make the temp climb or fluctuate. Just make the 590 billow with glorious smoke. The temp stays put. I just focus on flavor profile and seasonings, and 590 is gonna do it’s thing.

Hope something you read here helps. They really have the best service ever. Call em. Who knows if it’s the best grill? Maybe best constructed. But their service?! Top notch.

I use Pit Boss pellets. Probably ain’t that.

I was having the same issue. Huge temp swings. Made me so angry! This grill is supposed to laser in, no fluctuations in temp!

I’m in CA. The Req Teq guy had me turn the Auger feed rate down. I’ve never had the issue again.

Makes me so happy. I can, and do use smoke tubes filled with pellets as well. They don’t make the temp climb or fluctuate. Just make the 590 billow with glorious smoke. The temp stays put. I just focus on flavor profile and seasonings, and 590 is gonna do it’s thing.

Hope something you read here helps. They really have the best service ever. Call em. Who knows if it’s the best grill? Maybe best constructed. But their service?! Top notch.
I'm hanging in there. They had me turn down pellet feed rate to 2.5%, but still happening.

I'm hanging in there. They had me turn down pellet feed rate to 2.5%, but still happening.
Might need to turn it down another .25 🤷🏾‍♂️

How does the front door seal? I had a 340 that got damaged during shipping, the door didn’t hinge properly. My temps flared. The 590 hinged flush. Smoke seeps out the front, buts it’s minimal.

I wish you the best brother. I’ve called them several times. They’ll get you straight.

How does the front door seal? I had a 340 that got damaged during shipping, the door didn’t hinge properly. My temps flared. The 590 hinged flush. Smoke seeps out the front, buts it’s minimal.

I wish you the best brother. I’ve called them several times. They’ll get you straight.
Thanks! Lol, if I keep turning down the pellet feed rate, I might as well just bought an oven. 😁

They are jumping through hoops to help out. They're having their top guy taking a look in on it Monday.

They are jumping through hoops to help out. They're having their top guy taking a look in on it Monday.
Good deal. They’ll get you taken care of even if you have to replace the controller.

Thanks! Lol, if I keep turning down the pellet feed rate, I might as well just bought an oven. 😁
Trust me. I understand. When my temps was fluctuating during my cooks I was livid. I purchased a pellet grill for the temperature stability. If it doing that?! What is we doing?!

Hope they get you right. Keep us updated.

Trust me. I understand. When my temps was fluctuating during my cooks I was livid. I purchased a pellet grill for the temperature stability. If it doing that?! What is we doing?!

Hope they get you right. Keep us updated.
Doing a Pastrami now. Just did a spike. Not liking this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-21-10-29-20-545.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-21-10-29-20-545.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 99
Did you ever get resolution on this? I’m having the same problem now. Waiting on a response from them but if I can do something in the mean time I will.

Did you ever get resolution on this? I’m having the same problem now. Waiting on a response from them but if I can do something in the mean time I will.
Sure did, they were great. Mine never worked right out of the box. I worked with the Techs for about 2 weeks. They tried everything. It was around the holidays and I couldn't use it because of the swings. So instead of sending out parts, they replaced the whole grill. Must have been the combination of working with 3 or 4 Techs and missing the holiday cooks. I don't think they do that often (whole grill replacement). Class act. Recteq now has a Customer for life and I highly recommend them to family and friends. The new grill works flawlessly and extremely happy with the products it produces.

I’m sure their support will get this sorted. They have been great about most issues. I saw some folks thinking maybe the pellets but I’ve run through few brands without any temp fluctuations. I’ve even mixed brands because I was too lazy to change it out.

Dang, I was hoping that would do the trick, IT DID NOT. Did some ribs (3-2-1 method) tonight and it spiked again. Back to the drawing board.
Have you run it without the app and just use an independent temp probe just above the cooking grate?

This would take one variable out of the equation.

I just drilled a hole in a piece of wood and run my temp probe through there and it holds the tip of the probe about 1"-2" depending on which direction the rectangular block runs and how far down the probe shaft I run the block. I never cook at the kindling temp of the wood.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back