Stampede RT-590 High Temp Jumps

BigFish

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Important info (keep in mind): I bought the RecTeq upon recommendation from a friend who has one and swears by it. He uses the same pellets as I do. When I received my grill (super fast and well packed) it was missing parts (washers) and had the wrong parts - 2 right horns, instead of a left/right horn. The screen also had a scratch on it, but turns out it was just the film protecting the screen. RecTeq was fantastic with their response.

I received my Recteq RT-590 and broke it in as per instructions. The grill stayed spot on at 400 degrees, halfway in, jumped up 39 degrees and I figured it was calibrating itself. The following day (1st smoke) I put in a bottom round for roast beef. I set it for 220 degrees. Well, midway into the cook, it jumped to 259 degrees. It shot up so quick. I was out on my property working and didn't see/hear the warning in the app. When I finally checked the app, I ran to the other side of my property (grill is on a covered porch) and had to open the grill to cool it down. It continued to smoke the beef without issue. I thought is was just a "fluke" and blew it off.

2nd smoke (today) - I did a cured pork belly for bacon. I set the grill at 200 and let the grill come to temp. then added the belly. I kept an eye on it this time, with the app running close by. It did it again, except this time I took a screen shot. The temp jumped up to 247 degrees. I attached a screen shot. This DOES NOT happen on my Buddy's RecTeq. Does anyone know why these HUGE spikes keep happening?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-13-10-26-43-370.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-13-10-26-43-370.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 172
It might be as simple as a bad bag of pellets. I use Bear Mountain and two bags ago had a few cooks with temp problems. Once I burned Through those and put a new bag in everything settled back down. If you call Req Teq that’s probably the first thing they will question. Even if you are using their pellets they will tell you to change them out.

It might be as simple as a bad bag of pellets. I use Bear Mountain and two bags ago had a few cooks with temp problems. Once I burned Through those and put a new bag in everything settled back down. If you call Req Teq that’s probably the first thing they will question. Even if you are using their pellets they will tell you to change them out.
It's the first thing I did.

I had a bag of pit boss pellets that seemed pretty long compared to the Bear Mountain that I had been using. The Pit Boss pellets did cause temperature swings because they were too long. I even took the bag and started breaking up the long ones by hand.

I had a bag of pit boss pellets that seemed pretty long compared to the Bear Mountain that I had been using. The Pit Boss pellets did cause temperature swings because they were too long. I even took the bag and started breaking up the long ones by hand.
It's strange, the temp rockets up tremendously and then drops slowly. It's like the controller or auger goes bonkers. I have an analog all stainless steel smoker that did this (not pellet). I ripped out the analog and put in a digital PID controller and higher wattage element and it fixed it and has been spot on since.

I sent an email to RecTeq and in the meantime, I'm burning it empty at 400 again.

You'd think all the pellet mfrs would figure out a way to screen out long pellets and break them in half.
You'd figure grill makers would accommodate machine compressed pellets. Wait, some do.

Last edited:
Ran it at 400 yesterday for an hour and temp is spot on.

Last edited:
Just did a test run at 220 degrees. It spiked 30 degrees!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-14-08-41-02-302.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-14-08-41-02-302.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 88
What did Rec Teq have to say?

Just did a test run at 220 degrees. It spiked 30 degrees!
How long did you let it run @220? If not very long, I'd give it a few hours and see it if settles. The PID algorithm may be adjusting to variables :unsure:

How long did you let it run @220? If not very long, I'd give it a few hours and see it if settles. The PID algorithm may be adjusting to variables :unsure:
3 hours after temp.

Pingo, I don't think it's that smart. My buddy has one and has had zero problems with his.

Pingo, I don't think it's that smart. My buddy has one and has had zero problems with his.
The PID is smart, it's a computer, that's how it's able to keep stable temps with differnt variables (wind, pellets types, opening lid, etc...) but since yours is spiking, something is not right with your grill. RT will get it sorted out.

Last edited:
RT had me lower the feed rate of the pellets from 3% down to 2.5%. So far, holding temp and no spikes. Wish me luck!

So far, just veering off a degree or 2, nothing drastic like before.

Stayed on the money @ a 2.5% pellet feed rate. Test complete. Going to try different temps.

Dang, I was hoping that would do the trick, IT DID NOT. Did some ribs (3-2-1 method) tonight and it spiked again. Back to the drawing board.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-17-19-43-21-315.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-17-19-43-21-315.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_2021-11-17-19-42-46-228.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-17-19-42-46-228.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 98

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back