Rt-590 grill grates

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just bought some grill grates for the Rt-590. I've been hearing of people having grease fires because of them. Has anyone been using them long enough and still been able to avoid this happening? Any tips? Mainly plan to use them for grilling steaks and burgers.

Just bought some grill grates for the Rt-590. I've been hearing of people having grease fires because of them. Has anyone been using them long enough and still been able to avoid this happening? Any tips? Mainly plan to use them for grilling steaks and burgers.
Honestly it's pretty easy
1) get the heavy duty wide foil at costco *or elsewhere
2) apply layer of foil to drip tray, making sure to fold in the edges so they don't overlap
3) only go above 275 while the foil is relatively clean

like this isn't rocket science, if you smoke a pork shoulder, you will have a lot of grease on the foil, don't then cook hamburgers at 350+ untill changing the foil

also don't let food overhang the grease tray and drip into the barrel.

Honestly it's pretty easy
1) get the heavy duty wide foil at costco *or elsewhere
2) apply layer of foil to drip tray, making sure to fold in the edges so they don't overlap
3) only go above 275 while the foil is relatively clean

like this isn't rocket science, if you smoke a pork shoulder, you will have a lot of grease on the foil, don't then cook hamburgers at 350+ untill changing the foil

also don't let food overhang the grease tray and drip into the barrel.
Thank you. Sorry for the newb question. Just getting into smoking/grilling and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you. Sorry for the newb question. Just getting into smoking/grilling and trying to learn as much as I can.
Its normal to be worried, I have had my share of grease fires in smokers / grills as I was learning. They generally add a unique flavor to the food :p

One big tip for learning to smoke food, is start with he cheap meats, don't go buy a brisket this month or next month, stick to pork and chicken until you master them.

I would cook chicken thighs as often as you can till you feel like they are your specialty.

**Since you are new to this a tip for thicken thighs is get a cast iron 13x9 pan from lodge, I use mine for mac n cheese and thighs.

for thighs I pull back the skin and add a bit of rub, I like something more savory under the skin, then I put the skin back and wrap it around *after puling off any loose fat, then I add a sweeter rub to the outside ** play with this starting with store bought rubs till you learn what you / your family likes.

then I do 1-2 hours at 180/Lo with the thighs right on the grate to give a nice smoke flavor, at this point I put about 1/2-3/4 a stick of butter in the cast iron and I put the thighs in the cast iron on top of the butter, skin side down, I raise the grill to 225 and do about an an hour, or until they are all above 165, this butter bath helps render the fat out of the skin so it is less rubbery.

at this point I warm up a mixture of 50/50 cranberry juice and a bbq sauce of choice, I add a bit of hot sauce, I get it to about 200 degrees on the stove, then take it out, dip each thigh in this glaze and put it straight on the grill skin up... and they get 10-15 minutes or so at 300 to set the glaze and dry off the skin a bit.

** there are many ways to do thighs, but this is how I do it and I recommend you give it a shot :p

Its normal to be worried, I have had my share of grease fires in smokers / grills as I was learning. They generally add a unique flavor to the food :p

One big tip for learning to smoke food, is start with he cheap meats, don't go buy a brisket this month or next month, stick to pork and chicken until you master them.

I would cook chicken thighs as often as you can till you feel like they are your specialty.

**Since you are new to this a tip for thicken thighs is get a cast iron 13x9 pan from lodge, I use mine for mac n cheese and thighs.

for thighs I pull back the skin and add a bit of rub, I like something more savory under the skin, then I put the skin back and wrap it around *after puling off any loose fat, then I add a sweeter rub to the outside ** play with this starting with store bought rubs till you learn what you / your family likes.

then I do 1-2 hours at 180/Lo with the thighs right on the grate to give a nice smoke flavor, at this point I put about 1/2-3/4 a stick of butter in the cast iron and I put the thighs in the cast iron on top of the butter, skin side down, I raise the grill to 225 and do about an an hour, or until they are all above 165, this butter bath helps render the fat out of the skin so it is less rubbery.

at this point I warm up a mixture of 50/50 cranberry juice and a bbq sauce of choice, I add a bit of hot sauce, I get it to about 200 degrees on the stove, then take it out, dip each thigh in this glaze and put it straight on the grill skin up... and they get 10-15 minutes or so at 300 to set the glaze and dry off the skin a bit.

** there are many ways to do thighs, but this is how I do it and I recommend you give it a shot :p

** there are many ways to do thighs, but this is how I do it and I rec

Will definitely have to give that a go!

I have a 590 with the GG and I agree with the above, use foil on drip pan. That being said, I have never had an issue with the GrillGrates on the 590. The grates do a great job of holding the grease or cooking it off. Maybe if you use the flat side be careful with the grease, but again, I love mine and they definitely fit a need!
I love my 590, very consistent temperature. I now cook Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, Reverse Sear Steaks, Tri-Tips with ease. This is the best easiest grill I have ever owned. Even if I don't do 100% the food is still very good! Of course the guys and gals here are a tremendous help, taught me alot!
Welcome and Enjoy!

I have a 590 with the GG and I agree with the above, use foil on drip pan. That being said, I have never had an issue with the GrillGrates on the 590. The grates do a great job of holding the grease or cooking it off. Maybe if you use the flat side be careful with the grease, but again, I love mine and they definitely fit a need!
I love my 590, very consistent temperature. I now cook Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, Reverse Sear Steaks, Tri-Tips with ease. This is the best easiest grill I have ever owned. Even if I don't do 100% the food is still very good! Of course the guys and gals here are a tremendous help, taught me alot!
Welcome and Enjoy!
Great to hear! Excited to start cooking this weekend! Have been going through the forum and watching YouTube vids on the best ways to cook different things on it! Hopefully I can impress the wife to justify the purchase😁

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back