RT-590 - Door Gasket or Not?

aconnell1122

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Fairly new owner of RT-590 with only a handful of cooks thus far. Wondering if folks recommend the use of installing a gasket around the door to reduce leakage of heat and smoke, as well as keep the grill a bit cleaner. Any thoughts, guidance and experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fairly new owner of RT-590 with only a handful of cooks thus far. Wondering if folks recommend the use of installing a gasket around the door to reduce leakage of heat and smoke, as well as keep the grill a bit cleaner. Any thoughts, guidance and experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Search would do you a world of good. This is controversial subject. Happy reading!

As Psycho said, there's a TON of debate on the forums for this. I just got a 1250 last week and I put the gaskets on mine. I have seen no negatives so far, but I have only done a few cooks and all have been at higher temps (350-400). I chose to do it while the grill was new and clean and figure I can scrape it off at some point if I change my mind. That will be a chore, but as I said, so far I'm happy with it.

I did a handful of long cooks without the seal on my 1250 and after spending more time than I would prefer cleaning the outside of the grill, I went back and added the 1/2" Lavalock tape. I have not noticed any difference in performance other than seeing all smoke coming out the smoke stack as I believe it should. Cleanup of the outside of the grill is now virtually effortless. I'm very happy I added the seal.

Welcome to the forum....
Since you're asking and as other have stated, this topic has been debated numerous times. Here's a few discussions:
https://www.recteqforum.com/search/244936/?q=gasket&c[title_only]=1&o=date

Like asking about oil on a automotive forum.. But since we are here I put it on mine and I feel it was worth it to keep it cleaner and don't think it has contributed to any issues. If these grills were that sensitive to a gasket around the lid we would be in a ton of dodo. Your call..

I like one on my 700. My gasket has come off over time. I plan to replace it again. I haven't noticed any performance issues. It definitely keeps more smoke in.

Like asking about oil on a automotive forum.. But since we are here I put it on mine and I feel it was worth it to keep it cleaner and don't think it has contributed to any issues. If these grills were that sensitive to a gasket around the lid we would be in a ton of dodo. Your call..
Thanks for input - - exactly the kind of experience and feedback I was hoping to receive.

Done the seals on 2 different grills AFTER cooking several times without seals.
Can't see ever smoking again without seals
The ease of cleanup alone is worth it

I installed the seal when I received the smoker. it has help keep it clean and the smoke from leaking around the door. I haven’t noticed any performance issues. My friend purchased the same smoker a year later and didn’t install a seal. The smoke comes out around the lid and it looks like she had it for a couple of years.

Depends on what you want the gasket for. If it’s to keep the exterior cleaner from smoke stains then yes. If you think it will improve performance then no. Remember the 590 has vent holes in the back so heat leaking out the front is negligible in the overall performance.

I did a handful of long cooks without the seal on my 1250 and after spending more time than I would prefer cleaning the outside of the grill, I went back and added the 1/2" Lavalock tape. I have not noticed any difference in performance other than seeing all smoke coming out the smoke stack as I believe it should. Cleanup of the outside of the grill is now virtually effortless. I'm very happy I added the seal.
Did you put on the gasket tape on the lid or the grill barrel? Thx

I put it on the lid of the smoker and the lid of the hopper on my 590 before my first cook (while it was clean). I like that smoke only comes out from where it is supposed to. But, I am too inexperienced to say anything about the affect on performance.

I did when it was new. Still looks great. No side effects.

I adjusted my lid pretty well to my liking and don't see very much smoke ever sneaking out, personally don't see a need for adding a gasket other than perhaps easier clean up as some suggested. I just don't let anything buildup/stain to begin with, a bit of simple green on a soft cloth cleans the grease and smoke residue easily. As always to each their own and make your smoker how you prefer it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back