RT-340 or a 17" Blackstone for camping

We have a 36" fifth wheel. Carry a 17" Blackstone, 2 burner Camp Chef Ranger and a Weber Q for my outdoor kitchen. Have taken our Bullseye on family weekends when I was going to smoke something or needed a larger grill. It's easy even for a smaller guy like me to get into the bed of the truck. It would take up too much room in the basement of the camper, The 17" Blackstone is OK for 2, maybe 3 people. Need the Camp Chef when we need to boil something. Looking at replacing the two of them (Blackstone and Camp Chef) with the 22" Blackstone with side burner or a similar Camp Chef. We pull with a long bed dually so the Bullseye fits in the bed without any disassembly, but on longer trips I have a storage container holding a compressor, generator, propane tanks, floor jack and other accessories. Have not looked at how the Bullseye would fit with all that in the bed. I would love it if Recteq would make something to compete with the ASmoke and other portable pellet grill/smokers
I also once “packed heavy“ for my trips. Especially if I was going to Utah from SoCal for a week or more but I learned that most of my cooking needs were fulfilled with one dedicated portable 2 burner grill and a 24” Blackstone (BS). When I came across the Tailgater, that changed everything. Its versatility allows multiple configurations. If I want to do a whole chicken, kabobs or ribs, the grill side is perfect for a meal that serves up to 6 healthy eaters. When combined with the griddle (aproximately 16” square) I can do burgers, hotdogs, cheesesteaks, grilled veggies and other great stuff at the same time. When I use dual griddles, let the games begin. Everyone is familiar with all the breakfast ideas for BS but as I stated in an earlier post, I served 40 smashburgers in ~20 minutes during a cook with a bunch of folks and everyone had a chance to eat around the same time. I had a buddy working one of the griddles and I was on the other and it only took the single Tailgater for everything that was served hot. At one time, we had 24 burgers on at once. (When I was in college I worked at a Wendy’s a few semisters so I am a trained professional, haha.) If I want to do anything that needs a pot or skillet, the round center oriented left hand burner rules. It heats 3 gallons of water to a boil in about 5 minutes (with my regulator mod). I also have the Lodge large Wok that I use on it for fried rice and a number of other delicacies on board. I have been on about 6 trips each about a week long and some with as many as 50 people, and we are still amazed at how efficient the Tailgater can be. Obviously it takes planning and staging, but I have been camping for over 50 years and I haven’t come across anything as versatile as this little rig and it packs down to the size of an oversized bag that can be checked at the airport. I hear rumors that it will be phased out for the for the Adventure Ready 17” but I am over 6’ tall and I appreciate the stand alone capability of the TG because I’m not taking up table space when I cook. Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone else on this thread use a TG to accompany their RecTeq cookers? If so, how do you use it as a tool?

[Edit]. I forgot to mention one of the biggest advantages of the BS. It runs off propane and I can carry a 5 or 10lb tank for short trips or the old trusty 20lb tanks for longer trips when I am dry camping, which is my preferred way to go. Of course that may not be an issue for you (or me for that matter) because my Toy Hauler has a 5500w Onan Gold Marquis genset and it can provide enough power for my rig and any rigs on my sides without a problem.

Last edited:
Several of you guys seem to really enjoy your larger Blackstone griddles, and I've noticed they have a small 17" model as well but uses a pretty small tank.
Mike, I forgot about this option earlier, but Pit Boss makes a 2-, 3-, and 4-burner ceramic flat top where the fire box lifts off the frame and wheels. They also make an identical 3-burner for sale at Walmart, and I bought one today. The 3-burner is $649 direct, or the Walmart model is $374. Walmart at Richmond has a stack of them. I had to accessorize Mine. 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back