Bullseye Royal oak charcoal pellets

Chief

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Checking in to see if anyone has used the Royal Oak charcoal pellet in the 380 and if so their experiences.

Not specifically an answer to your question, but... When I purchased my RT-590, the one type of pellets they told me to avoid at all costs, were any that had charcoal in them. Maybe they burn too hot, or smolder too long, but I was told to "avoid like the plague". I recently purchased a Bullseye, but it is still in the box, so I am not sure if the same is true, but I was warned strongly enough, that I will not use charcoal pellets, or pellets containing any charcoal, any of my RTs. (again, not an answer to your specific question, but I would have felt horrible if I didn't share what I was told)

I beleive the reason not to use charcoal pellets on RECTEQ is because the pellets burn a lot hotter, and will likely result in a drip pan fire

Not specifically an answer to your question, but... When I purchased my RT-590, the one type of pellets they told me to avoid at all costs, were any that had charcoal in them. Maybe they burn too hot, or smolder too long, but I was told to "avoid like the plague". I recently purchased a Bullseye, but it is still in the box, so I am not sure if the same is true, but I was warned strongly enough, that I will not use charcoal pellets, or pellets containing any charcoal, any of my RTs. (again, not an answer to your specific question, but I would have felt horrible if I didn't share what I was told)
Interesting.
I was just on Royal Oaks website and in the product details it mentions they can be used in all pellet grills, including recteq.

I’ve been using the Royal Oak pellets for about a month now. I have had no issues with burning hotter, fires or wet pellets, which is one of their selling points. The last thing I want is an auger cemented in with wet pellets.
I know some of the other charcoal brands have had issues with being too hard and too big. This is also not an issue with Royal Oak.
just my 2 cents.

I may break down and try them, but here is what I got from Rec Teq support:
"Thank you for reaching out. The biggest thing with pellets is the blend, age, and length. We don't want to use a pure mesquite blend or anything that has charcoal in it such as char-hickory or pure charcoal. Pellets have a shelf life of roughly 6 months as well and we do not want them any longer than 1/2 of an inch. All of these will cause weird temp swings. You can use any brand that you would like as long as you are mindful of the things listed above.

The main reason for the is that the heat from the fire pot will ignite the pellets in the auger tube and in turn, burn up all the pellets in the hopper. That is the biggest reason to stay away from charcoal pellets."

I'm curious if anyone who has used them tastes much of a smoke taste difference. I've used char-hickory and don't really notice any difference. I do like to mix 50/50 char-hickory and competition blend. But these royal oaks are 100% charcoal so I am curious if that gives a stronger smoke flavor. I would to try them but pretty sure they are fairly expensive. And by expensive, I mean I'm used to paying around 50 cents a lb. or less by me.

I tried the Lumberjack ones last summer. Couldn't taste it at all, but could see the black dust everywhere!
Of course that is not long after I bought the pellet pooper and was trying to get the smoke/charcoal flavor I wanted out of it. I've given up on that and now just enjoy the light smoke flavor that it produces - and the ease of use!

I got a bag but haven't tried them yet. I'm waiting to completely finish my Bullseye hopper. From the reviews I've seen, the flavor is there but not strong.

I have the lumberjack char-hickory in my hopper right now and don't taste the charcoal so I'm hoping b/c these are 100% charcoal, I will be able to taste the flavor but I'll have to see.

Malcom Reade did a review and said he could taste it. Just not like strong like a weber charcoal or offset or whatever but still could taste it.

Whenever I start using them, I'll post my experience but I know myself, I don't expect a strong smoke flavor at all.

Wow.. I guess I'll stick to the Kettle for my charcoal cooks.
Try a bag for yourself and let me know what you think.
We all have different tastes. You may have a totally different opinion.
Kettle with charcoal is hard to beat.

So I finally got around to trying these however differently than others. I did NOT put these in the hopper, rather I used them in a smoke tube with hickory chips for added smoke.

I was smoking beef plate ribs. My hopper I believe had some char-hickory(which I never taste charcoal from) and 100% hickory.

I usually use a smoke tube when doing ribs with pellets and wood chips mixed in.

So I did notice a definite charcoal taste on the ribs. One of my kids said he said it tasted like it was cooked on a weber as my other kid said she no doubt noticed the smoke charcoal/wood flavor.

i think I may have find a good use for these. I will still try using these in my bullseye for just normal grilling but with the price point(close to $1 per lb.), I probably won't buy these often for that kind of use. But it appears for longer cooks, this is an easier way get charcoal flavor rather than using my magnum pig by smokedaddy.

The big difference between these and other "charcoal" pellets is that the Royal Oak are 100% charcoal and no other wood in them like Camp Chef's or Lumber jack or whoever.

If you think about it, these pellets are like mini/micro charcoals that burn slowly in a smoke tube with also some real wood chips in there will give an effect like cooking on charcoal. Obviously the flavor is lighter but this was as stronger of charcoal taste I even compared to my magnum PIG which takes a lot more maintenance than this. Since this was about an 8 hour cook, I did refill the smoke tube again so I did do 2 smoke tubes of the charcoal pellets/hickory wood chips which I am sure made a difference.

I will definitely do this again for other cooks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back