Routine burn-off?

sherpa

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Do any of you guys/gals do a routine burn off at high temperature to “deep clean” the smoker?

It's called pizza night! ;)🍕
Yes, I have to admit, that's how I've done it. Just plan ahead and give a little extra time before tossing in the pizzas. I learned the hard way on the very first pizza I ever cooked. It was horrible, but the other five I made on that first attempt worked out great.

Do any of you guys/gals do a routine burn off at high temperature to “deep clean” the smoker?
Never. After about every cook, I remove the grates and clean them in the sink with simple green and a Scotchbrite pad, vacuum the fire pot and in the bottom of the drum, wipe the grease out of the end of the drip tray groove and change the foil on the drip tray. Of course, I only use my RT700 for long cooks.

For short smokes or all grilling (chicken, steaks, kabobs, etc), I use my Bubba Keg or in rare instances, my gas grill. We really don't do burgers or dogs, but sometimes some grilled chicken.

I did a lovely burn off last weekend after a good vacuum of the pot and other ash accumulation, also scraped the lovely carcass drippings off the grease pan, and then set to 400 for some yummy smelling smoke that had my neighbors watching. LOL

No. My periodic cleaning of the grates, drip pan (refoil), scraping down the sides, vacuuming, and wiping out the grease “trough” is my cleaning regimen.

IMHO, the next startup for the next cook will kill any koodies. Besides, I don’t want to mess up the grill’s seasoning. 🤭

Never have in the 13 years I have owned pellet grills. I rarely even go to 350 degrees which does not do any burn off. I do 95% of my cooks at 200-250 degrees.

Yeah I rarely exceed 300F for any cook, I do a burn off at 400 and it does a fine job. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back