Rough night with my butt

The PID controller does tell the auger when to feed pellets based on the temperature it is maintaining. The feed rate only sets the minimum amount of time that the auger feeds pellets each cycle. The higher you set the feed rate the more pellets will be put in the fire pot each time the PID controllers knows it needs to add pellets to keep it on the correct temperature. It has no effect on flameouts because of high winds. In fact, I have never heard of high winds causing a flameout, I do not believe that is even possible.
You answered your own question regarding flameout and minimum feed rate. If set too low it is possible to have a flameout in high winds due to a lack of pellets per feed cycle. I have had this happen is how I know it can happen during high winds. Just bump up the feed rate and all is good to prevent this from happening.

You answered your own question regarding flameout and minimum feed rate. If set too low it is possible to have a flameout in high winds due to a lack of pellets per feed cycle. I have had this happen is how I know it can happen during high winds. Just bump up the feed rate and all is good to prevent this from happening.
Do you really think there is wind getting in the fire pot? That is not possible, if you had that much wind in your grill the temperature would be hard to maintain and the PID controller would be dumping pellets into the firepot like crazy to keep it up to the set temperature. Unless you have a major hole in your grill or you are grilling in a hurricane, there is no way for wind to get into the firepot or even the grill overall. Even when you open the lid on a windy day no wind is getting into the firepot you have a drip pan and a heat deflector protecting the firepot.

The ambient outdoor temperature is what can cause a flameout if the feed rate is too low and you are not feeding enough pellets to maintain your desired temperature.

My RT-700 came with a default setting of 65 (6.5%). I notice with the latest iOS app if you click the set to default option it will set it to 3%.

Do you really think there is wind getting in the fire pot? That is not possible, if you had that much wind in your grill the temperature would be hard to maintain and the PID controller would be dumping pellets into the firepot like crazy to keep it up to the set temperature. Unless you have a major hole in your grill or you are grilling in a hurricane, there is no way for wind to get into the firepot or even the grill overall. Even when you open the lid on a windy day no wind is getting into the firepot you have a drip pan and a heat deflector protecting the firepot.
I had an auger fire/hopper fire situation, and the Recteq support person asked if it was windy when it happened. I told him yes, and he advised moving the grill to a more sheltered location, because “wind can get under the grill and into the ‘air box’ causing the fire to burn back into the auger.” That is an exact quote. I think we may have found the cause of the problem (not the wind), but I have a lot of questions about this statement…🤔

Last edited:
I have a lot of questions about this…🤔
As any intelligent person would! That has to be the stupidest remark that I have ever heard for an explanation about a problem with a pellet grill. Not even Treager support in there worse days would have thrown a comment like that out.

I had an auger fire/hopper fire situation, and the Recteq support person asked if it was windy when it happened. I told him yes, and he advised moving the grill to a more sheltered location, because “wind can get under the grill and into the ‘air box’ causing the fire to burn back into the auger.” That is an exact quote. I think I may have found the cause of the problem (not the wind), but I have a lot of questions about this statement…🤔
BTW, not sure what an "air box" is that the support person was talking about. Has anyone ever heard of one of them in a pellet grill? Maybe they forgot to install it in my 1250, guess I will have to call them and ask about that.

BTW, not sure what an "air box" is that the support person was talking about. Has anyone ever heard of one of them in a pellet grill?
It's an imaginary part to confuse customers. It fails quite frequently.

Another example of some of the asinine comments coming out of Req Teq support.

Call Ray on his cell. 😂

BTW, not sure what an "air box" is that the support person was talking about. Has anyone ever heard of one of them in a pellet grill? Maybe they forgot to install it in my 1250, guess I will have to call them and ask about that.
All pellet grills have an air box-that’s how the fan blows air into the fire box.

All pellet grills have an air box-that’s how the fan blows air into the fire box.
Thank you! I couldn’t remember anyone ever referencing that part before, and I wasn’t sure if that was what they meant. I know I should have asked, but…it’s a long story for a different thread.

The ambient outdoor temperature is what can cause a flameout if the feed rate is too low and you are not feeding enough pellets to maintain your desired temperature.
I know so. There is a fan exhaust feeding the firebox. This is the noise you hear when the grill is turned on. There is a large opening at the bottom that allows this fan to draw in air to feed oxygen to the flame in the firebox. If you are slow smoking at low temps and the feed rate is set down very low at say 3, enough wind on a windy day can enter up through the bottom and snuff out the flame. Again, I have had this happen. Ambient temps...LOL now that's stupid.

Personally, I'd always consider it a fan intake instead of an air box. :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back