Riot mode for rt-700

THX I meant Pit Boss. I grew up in Spotswood and spent many days on the shore near you.

I thought they might be the same.. :)

I was born and raised in NJ.. Lived in central my younger days then moved north west as my first home with my wife in the early 90's. Career change brought me to the shore area. On the water (bay side) in Bayville and do like it here for the most part but would prefer warmer weather. One day I'm headed your way hopefully.

I haven't used my Weber gas in years, maybe I should.

Just for those last minute sears .. I actually took my sear plates I got for the Receq and put them right on the Weber grates (had to fit sideways but still works)

I know how to get the firmware rev on the Bullseye but how do you do it with this controller???

I think this works for the Bull .. Found it in another post. Really not sure what versions we are up to. I'll check mine and report back.

With grill off, hold the settings button down and cycle through until you see 103 or 104

Why doesn’t the RT-700 have riot mode?
I think “FUL” is the same. It does not get as hot as the Bullseye on “Riot” because it is a much larger volume of space to heat. Auger motor speed, fan speed, and pellet delivery are probably the same on Riot or FUL. I looked in their spare parts area for both units and both those parts looked the same. I just rechecked and I am correct, the parts are the same, it says they fit interchangeably. I imagine that the algorithms on the controls of the different units are different for the other functions, but on Full or Riot you get the same number of pellets per minute and the smaller units will be hotter than the larger units. ?

Last edited:
I think “FUL” is the same. It does not get as hot as the Bullseye on “Riot” because it is a much larger volume of space to heat. Auger motor speed, fan speed, and pellet delivery are probably the same on Riot or FUL. I looked in their spare parts area for both units and both those parts looked the same. Could be wrong but you could ask them.
From what I can gather from RT info the Bullseye and Bull share the same 2 RPM auger motor.

Stan. This morning after cooking bacon on the griddle at 400 I ran the controller up to 500. After 30 minutes it stalled at 498. It was ~42 and a little windy. I was using Pit Boss Competition pellets. What pellets do you use? 65 minutes is about the same as mine.

Did you increase your auger feed? I smoked some ribeye steaks last week in WI, and I was reverse searing. I had a hard time getting temp to 500 as it was only 18 degrees outside. I turned the auger feed up to 65, and it climbed up to 525. I didn't want to go higher, as I didn't want to start the auger and hopper on fire.

Did you increase your auger feed? I smoked some ribeye steaks last week in WI, and I was reverse searing. I had a hard time getting temp to 500 as it was only 18 degrees outside. I turned the auger feed up to 65, and it climbed up to 525. I didn't want to go higher, as I didn't want to start the auger and hopper on fire.
I think what happen, your temperature rising after the minimum feed rate adjustment you did was just caused by the grill running longer. At FUL and higher temperature settings the auger is running at full speed, on all the time with no cycling. The minimum feed rate adjustment will not raise temperatures for the higher heat settings it's only for lower temperature settings to help prevent flame outs and to maintain lower cooking temps.

i have a bfg auger motor coming for my 700 will see if that gives me a riot mode! will keep you guys posted. rec teq said it will fit and they are testing it now to be the standard motor.

i have a bfg auger motor coming for my 700 will see if that gives me a riot mode! will keep you guys posted. rec teq said it will fit and they are testing it now to be the standard motor.
I was looking at that option as well. If it works for you I will do it for sure so keep us posted.

i sure will chris i will test it at minimum temp max and time it going to max and let you guys know. rec teq actually wants me to let them know what i think also about it. which i think is cool. those guys are constantly trying to improve there product

Interesting.. Did you actually discuss with them what you are looking to accomplish? I'm wondering if there are any concerns overall trying to achieve higher temps based on design itself. I would have thought the limitation was in the controller not the motor but this makes sense if that is the limitation.

i did talk to them first. i wasn’t even sure it would fit. they said it will fit and in there testing so far it heats up dramatically faster and achieves higher temps. i personally don’t plan to run it at 600 plus if thats even possible but i would love to be able to cook pizzas for alot of guest and have a fast recovery time from opening the lid at 500. im excited to give it a go. and my grill is only alittle over a month old so i have alot of warrenty time left if it causes any problems. and if it does you guys will know about that also

i did talk to them first. i wasn’t even sure it would fit. they said it will fit and in there testing so far it heats up dramatically faster and achieves higher temps. i personally don’t plan to run it at 600 plus if thats even possible but i would love to be able to cook pizzas for alot of guest and have a fast recovery time from opening the lid at 500. im excited to give it a go. and my grill is only alittle over a month old so i have alot of warrenty time left if it causes any problems. and if it does you guys will know about that also

Awesome.. I would love to see quicker temps myself. Using the gasser for searing works and I would likely still do the same just so it is ready to go when needed but quicker adjustment would be a fantasy.

Very interested in the results.. they best be prepared with some BFG motors if this works out.. would become the #1 mod I think :unsure:.

Interesting.. Did you actually discuss with them what you are looking to accomplish? I'm wondering if there are any concerns overall trying to achieve higher temps based on design itself. I would have thought the limitation was in the controller not the motor but this makes sense if that is the limitation.
If memory serves me the BFG auger motor is 2.5 3.0 RPMs and the Bull is 2.0 RPMs.

If memory serves me the BFG auger motor is 2.5 RPMs and the Bull is 2.0 RPMs.

I was looking at the parts and the picture on their site shows 3 RPM for the BFG but is not shown for the 700.. if the 700 is 2 RPM that would make a huge difference.

i didn’t realize it was a 50 percent increase thats alot! i would imagine the paint would be fine. the stock 2rpm auger is used for the trailblazer which probably can get pretty dang hot. i would be more worried about potential warping the fire pot sheild but i don’t plan to push it max. just looking for faster heat ups and recovery times when opening the lid at high temps. plus i just like to tinker

i didn’t realize it was a 50 percent increase thats alot! i would imagine the paint would be fine. the stock 2rpm auger is used for the trailblazer which probably can get pretty dang hot. i would be more worried about potential warping the fire pot sheild but i don’t plan to push it max. just looking for faster heat ups and recovery times when opening the lid at high temps. plus i just like to tinker
IMHO this is the auger motor to use.

2.5 rpm probably a pretty good upgrade and made in usa! cant beat that. i would imagine mine is china made. haven’t seen it yet. shipped today

Is the controller in the RT-700 the same as the RT-2500? If not, can the RT-700 controller handle the additional amperage of the higher RPM motor?

Is the controller in the RT-700 the same as the RT-2500? If not, can the RT-700 controller handle the additional amperage of the higher RPM motor?
Current draw was minimal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back