Stampede Ribs For 12 Plus

Luscombe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I am smoking 9 slabs of ribs for our office lunch tomorrow. I have them all on the Stampede. You can't lay that many flat so I have them standing on edge. I could actually get a few more slabs in there if I had another rib rack. The Stampede has plenty of grill space for larger cooks!

I got this Stampede last fall and love what it is able to do. I actually started it from the office so it was ready for the meat when I got home.
Ribs Stampede 8.13.20.jpg

Yes indeed, low and slow at 225.
Prepped and rubbed the ribs last night and let them marinate in the fridge.
I am going to do the 4-5 ish method with these. No wrap and no turn. Mist every hour and sauce 1/2 of them the last 30 minutes or so.

Stay tuned for photos at 11

How'd the smoke go and are you happy with the end product? I'd love to know how long it took and the temps! That stampede is loaded!

A short update on the smoke.
Ribs on at 5:20
Every hour I sprayed apple juice on the ribs and rotated them in the smoker. There are some hot spots and the ones on the right end were cooking faster. I saw some bones showing and some of the edges seemed to be crisping up some. I tried the bend test at 4-1/2hrs and they were nowhere near done. Some internal temps were 160 ish and some were 190 ish.
At 9:45 pm I decided to wrap the ribs. I sprayed them with apple juice, sprinkled some brown sugar on them and wrapped them in foil. Put them back on for 45 minutes. Pulled them and let them set on the counter in the tinfoil until 11PM then put them in the fridge.

I am at work now. I have fired up a weber kettle - low temp indirect. At about 11 I will unwrap and place them on the weber to warm them up and then sauce them. Photos to follow.

I am trying to not overcook them but do have some reservations. There are 6 slabs of baby backs and 3 slabs of spare ribs. The spare ribs are much thicker.
I don't think any of them will be bad but they probably won't be epic.

So this is what they looked like after an hour on the weber. Most of them broke or cracked when given the bend test. In the end, they were good but not consistent although nobody knew that but me. We had 13 employees join us for lunch in the warehouse and everyone liked them. They were quite tasty and not tough.

The next time I do this many on the Stampede I will stand them all on edge with the right sized rib racks.

My next task is to map the temperatures in the grill corners and along the centerline when it is set to 225. I bought a probe to do that. I really want to see the temp variation.

I cooked 6 slabs of baby backs and 3 slabs of spare ribs and we had 1-1/2 slabs left over. It was also a mistake to mix baby backs in with the spare ribs as the spare ribs take longer. That was a rookie mistake. I know better.

Attachments

• Ribs on Weber 1.jpg
    Ribs on Weber 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
  • Ribs on Weber 2.jpg
    Ribs on Weber 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • Ribs on Weber 3.jpg
    Ribs on Weber 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
Oh darn, now you have to cook some more do make sure your new plan will work. That’s the beauty of BBQ. Let me know if you need help taste testing them!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back