Reverse Smoke

SmokeOCD

Well, I made it a thing. I had pork shoulders going at the same time I wanted to make jerky; so the jerky racks went into the oven (170-fan). I got them just about right, but they were missing something. Once the pork came off - I dropped the 1070 back down to Lo and threw all the jerky (in an aluminum pan) onto the top rack. Couple hours on Lo and shut it down and left it all out there overnight. This morning I have proper jerky with a nice smokey smell and taste. For anyone concerned... I used Morton's tender quick to cure the meat.

Sounds like you found a winning solution. I often hear of a lack of smoke in some of the posts but I think it is usually just a lack of imagination on the user’s behalf. If you want to have some real fun, since it is winter, put a few pounds of your favorite cheese in the smoker at the lowest setting with a couple of containers of ice cubes surrounding them. Leave your smoker slightly open and watch the smoke come rolling out. I haven’t tried leaving it like that overnight but it can kick the smoke levels to an all new high in just a few hours without raising the temps to an out of control state. Note, YMMV and the fan will sound like it is going crazy. You can also add a smoke tube and you would think someone gave the cow hickory cigarettes before they milked her. The number of experiments you can do with these things is countless. I also like to take an old fashioned bellows and have it ingest the smoke during start up. Then I take a glass of whisky put it under an even larger glass (a good old fashioned 64oz Ball jar works best) and lift one corner and squeeze the bellows to fill the ball jar with the extracted smoke. Give it about 15 minutes or until the smoke dissipates and wala!!! Smoked whiskey. You can leave out the whiskey and just smoke the ice cubes also which is great for a good “ole fashion”. Just saying… Experiment on and share your results.

I've got 3 blocks for smoking (Gouda, Cheddar, Jarlsburg), but I think I'm going to use the pellet maze... in the recteq, so the recteq is just a big stainless box holding in smoke for me at that point. At least I know I won't melt the cheese this way.
I mostly dislike Smokey whiskey, like Chivas - but Johnny Walker Blue is pretty good.

My preference is no tenderizer. The meat gets a gummy-bear like texture. I used to make my own for horse rides. Lately, I've found a brand at Sam's Club that I like a lot.

20221205_152404.jpg

I've got 3 blocks for smoking (Gouda, Cheddar, Jarlsburg), but I think I'm going to use the pellet maze... in the recteq, so the recteq is just a big stainless box holding in smoke for me at that point. At least I know I won't melt the cheese this way.
I mostly dislike Smokey whiskey, like Chivas - but Johnny Walker Blue is pretty good.
I‘ve read posts about doing that. It seem to work fine. I have used 2 smoke tubes with no additional heat and ice near the cheese to keep the temp down and it works but takes forever (i.e., overnight) fortunately, my smoke tubes expand in length and can accommodate about 6 hours of run time. If I weren’t so cheap I’d but the smoke box but I don’t think it would get that much use. lol. Let us know how it turns out.

I have used 2 smoke tubes with no additional heat and ice near the cheese to keep the temp down and it works but takes forever (i.e., overnight)
Usually about 5 hrs is a great plenty for cheese. Anytime in the mornings before temps get to 85-90°

I won't see those temps for about 6 months. ;)
I'll try the cheese this weekend.
I've got pork loin curing that I will cold smoke probably around the 17th.
The amazing maze claims up to 12 hours of smoke.

I won't see those temps for about 6 months. ;)
I'll try the cheese this weekend.
I've got pork loin curing that I will cold smoke probably around the 17th.
The amazing maze claims up to 12 hours of smoke.
My Amazing makes the same claim but I haven‘t seen more that about 7 max with the pellets I use. YMMV.

Yup. It's cheese smokin weather. Just the sun on the black smoke box is too much. I like this time of year and just try to do it at night.

When we smoke Cheese, I only use the Smoke Tube, no heat
They say to keep the "Box" under 60
I lay the Cheese Blocks out and get the Tube going
Turn the Blocks every hour for four hours so all four sides get a turn to be on-top ;)
Cheese on the Bull.jpg

Cheese Smoked on the Bull.jpg

Then we Vac-Seal them and let them "rest" for a couple weeks before we get into them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back