Reverse Seared Ribeyes and Strip Steak tonight

Devimik

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Still learning here - did some reverse seared ribeyes and a strip - also, smoked and grilled some more Spam. Smoked the steaks and Spam for an hour at 200 degrees, then cranked the Bull up to Full - it took about 30 minutes to get to 500. Used the grill grates on the flat side, so seasoned the steaks with Kinder's Buttery Steak House seasoning and seared. Came out pretty good, but need to get more of a crust on the steak. Thinking maybe seasoning after smoking instead of before. Anyway, the flavor of the steaks was excellent and I've discovered that I just love grilled Spam, although I need to ensure it doesn't get too salty - it's already salty before cooking. Learning a lot here about smoking, so I think the results are getting better. :D

A well seasoned cast iron pan sears steak about as well or better than anything.

Regarding Spam, there's a couple choices to help with the sodium. The "25% Lower Sodium" or "Spam Lite" should help. But we couldn't deal with the "Lite". It was too lean to fry nicely.

Last edited:
I don't recall cooking steaks not reversed seared, since I first tried it. Much easier to hit the temp needed. I use a ripping hot CI skillet on my grill with some Ghee in it. It does make a mess somewhat, but is worth it. Spam, huh? I just might have to give that a try. Was it regular, or low sodium that you used?

Anova are top brand of sous vide and are 25% off right now.
https://anovaculinary.com/
The middle of the line is only 150 and has wifi so we can smoke and sous at the same time
from the bar. well not the bar they are all closed.. but maybe from the hospital no wait that doesn't sound good either. You get the idea.! Stay Healthy all.

+1 on the CI and Ghee. This is how I reverse sear all the time anymore. I have a gasser with a side burner. I use the side burner for my searing station. Works great. About the only thing I use the gasser for anymore.

D....those steaks and the beer look fantastic!

Thanks, guys - I never thought to try a CI skillet on the grill - will try that. As for the Spam, it was regular Spam. I think I just put too much seasoning on it, so I'll try no-salt seasoning next time, or get lower sodium Spam. lol.

Still learning here - did some reverse seared ribeyes and a strip - also, smoked and grilled some more Spam. Smoked the steaks and Spam for an hour at 200 degrees, then cranked the Bull up to Full - it took about 30 minutes to get to 500. Used the grill grates on the flat side, so seasoned the steaks with Kinder's Buttery Steak House seasoning and seared. Came out pretty good, but need to get more of a crust on the steak. Thinking maybe seasoning after smoking instead of before. Anyway, the flavor of the steaks was excellent and I've discovered that I just love grilled Spam, although I need to ensure it doesn't get too salty - it's already salty before cooking. Learning a lot here about smoking, so I think the results are getting better. :D

+1 on the CI and Ghee. This is how I reverse sear all the time anymore. I have a gasser with a side burner. I use the side burner for my searing station. Works great. About the only thing I use the gasser for anymore.

D....those steaks and the beer look fantastic!
Looks amazing. I’m ready to come over.

A well seasoned cast iron pan sears steak about as well or better than anything.

Regarding Spam, there's a couple choices to help with the sodium. The "25% Lower Sodium" or "Spam Lite" should help. But we couldn't deal with the "Lite". It was too lean to fry nicely.
If your going to eat spam, eat the good stuff. It’s like regular bacon vs turkey bacon. No comparison. Some things just don’t translate, no matter what they call it.

Oil your sear grates for more sear. i hear all of the time...oil the meat not the grill but in my case (per my pic) i feel like to get the crust i oil the grates when i put them in. So.. i cook my steaks to the temp i want (120-125) and pull them.. I stoke up the rectec to 500 and put the grates in (while steaks are resting). i oil them right then. Simply olive oil with a paper towel or even a small brush. Get them glistening.

Then when i hit temp i move quick to get the lid open and steaks in, lid closed. When they hit the grill they sizzle like a rattlesnake because of that oil (in my opinion). I like the grill side, but it still works flat. Then when you rotate...rotate to a new part of the grates. Even when using flat side you should rotate and move on the flat side. By doing this you are exposing different parts of the meat to the hot oiled surface. If you keep in the same spot your grates will lose their temp and not get the job done. I do it 4 spots. One turn per side.

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but this method has always resulted in the results i am looking for.

Attachments

• July4th Reverse Sear.JPG
    July4th Reverse Sear.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
MMM...Sizzle like a rattlesnake... like it!
Anova are top brand of sous vide and are 25% off right now.
https://anovaculinary.com/
The middle of the line is only 150 and has wifi so we can smoke and sous at the same time
from the bar. well not the bar they are all closed.. but maybe from the hospital no wait that doesn't sound good either. You get the idea.! Stay Healthy all.
Looks amazing. Great grill marks.
Cutplug- do you do a lot of sous viding?
Oil your sear grates for more sear. i hear all of the time...oil the meat not the grill but in my case (per my pic) i feel like to get the crust i oil the grates when i put them in. So.. i cook my steaks to the temp i want (120-125) and pull them.. I stoke up the rectec to 500 and put the grates in (while steaks are resting). i oil them right then. Simply olive oil with a paper towel or even a small brush. Get them glistening.

Then when i hit temp i move quick to get the lid open and steaks in, lid closed. When they hit the grill they sizzle like a rattlesnake because of that oil (in my opinion). I like the grill side, but it still works flat. Then when you rotate...rotate to a new part of the grates. Even when using flat side you should rotate and move on the flat side. By doing this you are exposing different parts of the meat to the hot oiled surface. If you keep in the same spot your grates will lose their temp and not get the job done. I do it 4 spots. One turn per side.

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but this method has always resulted in the results i am looking for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back