Reusable oven liner on grease tray.

the_BM

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Has anyone ever tried using a reusable oven liner on the grease tray? My wife suggested it and I thought it was a good idea, but would it change how it heats up? Does the reflectiveness of tinfoil help heat up the grill? What are your thoughts?

Has anyone ever tried using a reusable oven liner on the grease tray? My wife suggested it and I thought it was a good idea, but would it change how it heats up? Does the reflectiveness of tinfoil help heat up the grill? What are your thoughts?
I did some experiments in my early days with my Blaz'n GS. Tested the grill temps with foil on and off of the drip tray. With the temp set for 350*, when the temp on the grates level was up to 350*, the temp at the surface of the drip pan was 25 to 30* less with the foil on than with the foil off. I concluded that the foil reflected the heat back down, and that the result was that there was more heat by convection and less by radiation. But the results were the same at grate or RTD probe level. In other words, the PID control doesn't care where the heat comes from, it just does its job. Not sure I know what I am talking about but that was my conclusion at that time. Might be worth doing again on my 590, but I am not motivated to mess with it. I use foil now, but there are many who do not. We all seem to get good Q either way. Perhaps it boils down as to whether you like to scrape or fold up and toss to clean the pan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back