Rested Pork, now it’s at 127’

Wiwrestler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I cooked a 8.5 lb pork butt for 14 hrs then rested it for 5 hrs. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and towel and placed it in a yeti cooler. I woke up to it being 127’ internal temp. Is it safe to eat.

Attachments

• ADF7371B-50FB-4BFC-81B9-56ABB1343082.jpeg
    ADF7371B-50FB-4BFC-81B9-56ABB1343082.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 164
I think you are ok with it. It hasn’t been at that temp long, it was wrapped at a high temp, and in a more or less sealed environment. Dig in. If still concerned wrap it back up and put it in your oven for a while to heat it back up to 160+

I'd bet that food at a dinner party sits out longer, below those temps, and is still saved for leftovers.

if you want it to hold at a hotter temp longer next time. you could put hot tap water in the yeti for a hr or two before to preheat the cooler. just like people will often prechill a cooler. your good to go though. i would eat it no problem

If you rested it 5 hours before putting it in the cooler then you need to track the temp during the rest. It needs to stay above 140 during the entire rest. Maybe rest it until the internal temp is 170 then put it in the cooler (wrapped).

I’ve run through several calculations using different variables, and now my brain is fried, and I need a nap. Maybe someone smarter than I am has an absolute answer for you?

That being said, I think you’re fine, but to be safe, you’ll want to get it to a safe temp ASAP, and consider reheating the meat to 165 degrees using sous vide, a slow cooker, or oven before eating it 🙂. Any salt on the meat is also your friend in this case.

I’ve run through several calculations using different variables, and now my brain is fried, and I need a nap. Maybe someone smarter than I am has an absolute answer for you?

That being said, I think you’re fine, but to be safe, you’ll want to get it to a safe temp ASAP, and consider reheating the meat to 165 degrees using sous vide, a slow cooker, or oven before eating it 🙂. Any salt on the meat is also your friend in this case.
Speaking strictly as a lay person, I believe the JD spritz could prove to be beneficial. I don't have any calculations (or recollection) to back up my theory.

If it hit an IT of 195-198, it was wrapped the whole time during the rest and in a cooler, it will be fine. Any potential foodborne bacteria was cooked off many degrees before. With it wrapped and not exposed to any external environment until eaten, it would be fine. dig in and enjoy. I know I sure would.

If it hit an IT of 195-198, it was wrapped the whole time during the rest and in a cooler, it will be fine. Any potential foodborne bacteria was cooked off many degrees before. With it wrapped and not exposed to any external environment until eaten, it would be fine. dig in and enjoy. I know I sure would.
It may indeed be fine, but that’s not how food bourne bacteria works. Just because the bacteria was cooked off initially doesn't necessarily mean it’s safe just because it has been kept wrapped in a cooler for 5 (or more) hours. The 140*/4 hours rule still applies, regardless of how it was wrapped after it was cooked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back