Remove Rust From Cast Iron Grates

Gotbbq

Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I could use some advice- I have cast iron grates in one of my grills. They didn't weather well over the winter. Whats my best shot at getting the rust and stuff off and getting them back to usable? Thanks-

First step would be some mechanical means of removing rust scale and stuff; scraping with a fixed blade tool, wire brush or wheel on a grinder/drill, depending on what tools you have. Bead or sand blasting could work if you have the equipment. As for the rust issues in the pits and bumps, between the ribs, there are many favored ways. Some folks like electrolysis method, but you need a "tank"/pan large enough to submerge the grill and an older style battery charger. I find chemical works easily. Folks will list all manner of favored brands, but the common active ingredient is either phosphoric acid (e.g. Naval Jelly, Coca Cola, various products sold to car guys under a myriad of brand names and colors), or oxalic acid (e.g. Bar Keepers Friend, CLR). These are mild acids and won't attack large chunks of rust, but work very well on what's often called "surface" rust. Once clean, a seasoning like is done for cast iron pans and griddles should shorten future cleaning processes, especially if repeated at the end of season.

I could use some advice- I have cast iron grates in one of my grills. They didn't weather well over the winter. Whats my best shot at getting the rust and stuff off and getting them back to usable? Thanks-
Here is a good video on how to remove rust from a cast iron skillet, but you should be able to follow the same overall process for your grates.

We've done this with an old skillet in the past with good results.

50 50 mix of water and vinegar. Light scrubbing.
Just like cleaning rust off cast iron.
Google it...
Thanks. I left it out all winter. Now to pay the piper.

Another reason I bought Rec Tec. I have had bad luck with porcelain grates and cast iron grates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back