Reheating brisket slices

Jim6820

The Crazy Ol’ Basque!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I smoked a brisket last weekend and had some slices left over; something of a rarity around here. :rolleyes: So, I packaged up some individual serving portions, vacuum-sealed them and put them in the freezer. Last night, we decided it was time for brisket sandwiches on some of our favorite, locally-baked ciabatta rolls.

After pondering several reheating methods, I settled on a pseudo Sous Vide idea (since I don’t—yet—have a real Sous Vide machine). I filled a medium-sized pot 2/3 full of water and brought it to a boil, then shut off the stove. Dropped the frozen packages (one for each of us) into the water and covered the pot. Pulled them out 15 minutes later and they were a perfect 140 F. The sandwiches were great!

If you have brisket (or other sliced meat) that you might want to re-heat, you might try this. And, remember; the stove was turned off after the initial water heating period, using just the residual heat to warm the meat.

I smoked a brisket last weekend and had some slices left over; something of a rarity around here. :rolleyes:
Great technique. And yes, I have even pulled the vacuum sealer out ahead of time only to find out I had nothing left to package and save.

@Jim6820, I did buy a Sous Vide for that exact purpose, it works well, however I am lazy sometimes and after thawing I cut a corner off of the vacuum seal bag and microwave....

I know, I know.

However my son who is still in an institution of higher learning, does exactly what you do. He heats some water and sticks the bag in. He swears by it and I have given him, brisket, pulled pork, beef tenderloin, steak, salmon, lamb and the list goes on!

@Jim6820, I did buy a Sous Vide for that exact purpose, it works well, however I am lazy sometimes and after thawing I cut a corner off of the vacuum seal bag and microwave....

I know, I know.

However my son who is still in an institution of higher learning, does exactly what you do. He heats some water and sticks the bag in. He swears by it and I have given him, brisket, pulled pork, beef tenderloin, steak, salmon, lamb and the list goes on!
Where were you when I was “still in an institution of higher learning?” I would have gladly let you adopt me. :ROFLMAO: Wait…that was probably before the discovery of fire! Oh well.:rolleyes:

@Jim6820, I did buy a Sous Vide for that exact purpose, it works well, however I am lazy sometimes and after thawing I cut a corner off of the vacuum seal bag and microwave.....

My son got me Sous Vide a couple of years ago. Used it twice and did the same thing.....back to the microwave. I think I might dust it off and use it again.

I know it wasn’t asked but if add a little Wagyu tallow (tablespoon) before you vacuum seal that bag, when you reheat it you are in for an even better treat. Don‘t overdue the quantity as the meat will absorb it pretty well since the Wagyu tallow melts at about 92 degrees F and gets sucked into the brisket quickly and there is a thin line between full flavor restoration and greasy.
(Note: This is for the flat, not necessary for the point as it already has quite a bit of fat content already.)

Sous vide is ideal for warming meats. Don't have to worry about over cooking it like a microwave or boiling water does.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back