Reheating Brisket Point

In our case, there’s just the two of us most of the time, so when I do a brisket I know there will be leftovers. I slice a generous amount for us to eat on the cook day and vacuum seal the rest in appropriate portions. If we will be having guests, I can pull out multiple “portions” as needed and reheat.

My vacuum sealer lives in a cabinet in the kitchen and takes about 15 seconds to set up, so there’s no inconvenience factor for me. YMMV
That is the exact same thing I do.

For the vac-sealing people... Is vac-sealing a preplanned thing, or just whatever is left goes in the bag?
To clarify - do you size the cook to come up with extra meals or it just happens?
I only pull out the sealer maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it's never for leftover bbq.
I am still evolving. I do use it for leftovers. My wife puts it in meal sized bags for later use. When I am doing a event such as 'Q for my ham club, I like to cook in advance to make sure there is plenty of time to complete the cook and rest the meat. In that case I would bag all the meat and refrigerate it

Let me say once again, one of the big advantages of sealing, freezing and reheating in boiling water is that the smoky taste is enhanced substantially. It gives time for the flavors to mature and meld I guess you could say that it is a form of resting the meat.

My vacuum sealer lives in a cabinet in the kitchen and takes about 15 seconds to set up, so there’s no inconvenience factor for me. YMMV
Yep my mileage is substantially more. Downstairs in the basement on a shelf by the meat grinder/sausage stuffer.

MO… Ditto. That is my process also.
SmokeOCD: I typically smoke way more than a single meal’s worth. So I plan for the bag and vac method. It works great for just about everything except for peaches and similar large seed fruits. I also smoke chilles (yes, it’s Hatch Chille season) and freeze them for later use. Another good use is if you smoke cheeses or spices. They thaw very well except for the dryer cheese selections that get a little crumbly, lol

For the vac-sealing people... Is vac-sealing a preplanned thing, or just whatever is left goes in the bag?
To clarify - do you size the cook to come up with extra meals or it just happens?
I only pull out the sealer maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it's never for leftover bbq.
There is only my wife and me. So, larger meats like briskets and butts are way more than we would eat. We usually make one meal off the cook the day of or the next day and the rest gets vacuum sealed and frozen. I usually do the sealing the next day because I like to let the juices congeal. That way it is easier to vacuum seal. I prefer to do single portions of pulled pork because I might feel like having a bbq sandwich for dinner and my wife might like something else. I can always throw two in the pot if we both want the same thing. Next time I do brisket I am going to do the same thing. Like @Jim6820 my set up time is less than a minute.

BTW, WA4NZS here.

There is only my wife and me. So, larger meats like briskets and butts are way more than we would eat. We usually make one meal off the cook the day of or the next day and the rest gets vacuum sealed and frozen. I usually do the sealing the next day because I like to let the juices congeal. That way it is easier to vacuum seal. I prefer to do single portions of pulled pork because I might feel like having a bbq sandwich for dinner and my wife might like something else. I can always throw two in the pot if we both want the same thing. Next time I do brisket I am going to do the same thing. Like @Jim6820 my set up time is less than a minute.

BTW, WA4NZS here.
Since we seem to be doing a ham radio check-in, W7DHC is on frequency as well. Glad to see some other hams on the forum.

Don't understand why you need an expensive apparatus. I vacuum seal my leftovers and freeze or refrigerate depending when I want to serve them. I reheat in the bag in boiling water. Tastes fresh, and the smoke flavor is substantially enhanced. Almost better than fresh.
Not really sure I would call $80 "expensive apparatus", but nonetheless, I find I have way more control over re-heats given I can dial in temps. Water boils at 212 deg/f - normally don't want to bring a medium rare chunk-o-meat anywhere near that. But hey... to each their own. I have used the boil-in-a-bag method for down and dirty re-heats, and for that it works fine.

Not really sure I would call $80 "expensive apparatus", but nonetheless, I find I have way more control over re-heats given I can dial in temps. Water boils at 212 deg/f - normally don't want to bring a medium rare chunk-o-meat anywhere near that. But hey... to each their own. I have used the boil-in-a-bag method for down and dirty re-heats, and for that it works fine.
Good to know. I also fear taking anything rare/medium-rare beyond that temperature. I will have to consider getting one again. Guga has a dedicated YT channel for different techniques. I typically have great results using the Bull and reverse searing, but I am willing to experiment.

It is preplanned for us! We will buy in bulk from Sam's , Smoke everything and then vacuum pack everything! As someone has already stated I agree that the smoke flavor seems to be enhanced!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back