Reheating Brisket Point

Dr.Floyd

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Reheating some of a brisket point I cooked a few weeks ago. Sous Vide comes out juicy and tender....almost as good as frereshly rested off the smoker.

Screenshot_20220724-121908_Gallery.jpg

I’ve been doing a variation of this for years. Since I don’t—yet—have a real Sous Vide setup, I just boil a pot of water, shut the heat off, drop the vacuum-sealed bag of frozen brisket in and in about 15 minutes, the brisket is at serving temperature. Not as exacting as doing a Sous Vide cook, but about as effective for reheating frozen brisket.

I did a full brisket for firehouse dinner a few months ago. Cooked it overnight and timed it with my go-to-work time. Started about 3hrs prior to dinner time for the reheat process. (1800hrs) 325 degrees double wrapped with beef broth and butter. It was absolutely AMAZING, both parts. 13 guys, 18lb brisket to start, NO leftovers. I’m very suprised they didn’t make a shake out of the drippings.

Thanks. I will look into that one. My son has a Joule, but those things are priced at $300-up and I can’t see that you get much more than you do with the $90-$100 units.

I've got the the insta-pot version. 3 or 4 years old now, no bluetooth, no wifi, just set the temp on the stick and that's it. I like to use it in a meat lug, everything has plenty of room, plenty of liquid circulating around. We only use it for super thick steaks, 2 - 4 " cuts.

I’ve been doing a variation of this for years. Since I don’t—yet—have a real Sous Vide setup, I just boil a pot of water, shut the heat off, drop the vacuum-sealed bag of frozen brisket in and in about 15 minutes, the brisket is at serving temperature. Not as exacting as doing a Sous Vide cook, but about as effective for reheating frozen brisket.
We do the same but my wife throws in 3 or 4 ears of corn and it finishes at the same time! A meal in one!

Interesting thread. I like the idea of using it for reheating because the results were sub-optimum for actual cooking with it and I sent it back. Is it any different than setting your heat source for the water at a constant temperature and just dropping a high temperature vacuum sealed bag into the water? Does the circulation make that much of a difference?

Please advise.

Don't understand why you need an expensive apparatus. I vacuum seal my leftovers and freeze or refrigerate depending when I want to serve them. I reheat in the bag in boiling water. Tastes fresh, and the smoke flavor is substantially enhanced. Almost better than fresh.

For the vac-sealing people... Is vac-sealing a preplanned thing, or just whatever is left goes in the bag?
To clarify - do you size the cook to come up with extra meals or it just happens?
I only pull out the sealer maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it's never for leftover bbq.

For the vac-sealing people... Is vac-sealing a preplanned thing, or just whatever is left goes in the bag?
To clarify - do you size the cook to come up with extra meals or it just happens?
I only pull out the sealer maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it's never for leftover bbq.
I vacuum seal what I know won’t get eaten within a day or two. I weigh mine into 1 or 1-1/2lb packages. It’s handy on busy weeknights if I don’t have the me/feel like cooking anything else.

In our case, there’s just the two of us most of the time, so when I do a brisket I know there will be leftovers. I slice a generous amount for us to eat on the cook day and vacuum seal the rest in appropriate portions. If we will be having guests, I can pull out multiple “portions” as needed and reheat.

My vacuum sealer lives in a cabinet in the kitchen and takes about 15 seconds to set up, so there’s no inconvenience factor for me. YMMV

Interesting thread. I like the idea of using it for reheating because the results were sub-optimum for actual cooking with it and I sent it back. Is it any different than setting your heat source for the water at a constant temperature and just dropping a high temperature vacuum sealed bag into the water? Does the circulation make that much of a difference?

Please advise.
I feel that the circuation of the water heats it up more evenly and by setting it at a temperature below boiling the meat slowly comes up to temperature without getting mushy.

Don't understand why you need an expensive apparatus. I vacuum seal my leftovers and freeze or refrigerate depending when I want to serve them. I reheat in the bag in boiling water. Tastes fresh, and the smoke flavor is substantially enhanced. Almost better than fresh.
I got the Sous Vide as a Fahter's day gift. Before that I did just bring a pot of water to boil and dropped in the vacuum sealed package. With the sous vide, the contents of the bag are slowly brought up to the below-boiling temperature of the water and cooked at this lower temperature for a longer period of time. It works really well when I set it to heat up and just let it run for as long as I want. No need to babysit it because it cannot get above the set temperature. And I think the Sous Vide I have was only about $40. Sometimes with boiling the meat gets mushy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back