recteq moving away from selling pellets?

Greg Jones

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
Anyone watching the official recteq videos lately would notice that they have been pushing the Kingsford pellets hard. I assumed that recteq was in the process of switching to Kingsford as their in-house brand, but it’s starting to look like recteq is getting out of the pellet business. They had a big announcement yesterday about the new relationship they have with Kingsford, and they were very specific about all the places that sell Kingsford, including coming soon to all Walmart stores.

Looking at the recteq site today, the only pellet option they have is a combo of 4-40# bags of the recteq pellets plus 3-20# bags (1 each classic, hickory, maple) of Kingsford pellets. Even more interesting, they can only be purchased with a grill. Makes me wonder if this will only be available until they run out of the recteq branded pellets. The Cookinpellets Perfect Mix pellets are already gone from their site. I’ve had excellent results with the recteq pellets, and while they were not a bargain price, I’m sorry to see them go. Anyone know who made them for recteq?

Back when I got into the RT game a couple years ago the claim was that the RT pellets were supplied by Cookinpellets.

I would guess the Kingsford relationship nets better to the bottom line if what appears is any indication. It's a prized "get" for an equipment supplier. The head guy at Pit Barrel Cooker was maneuvering for a relationship like that some years back with them and tells the story about how it was a protracted dance that eventually didn't materialize. He seemed pretty disappointed, so it must have something more than just halo value. After years of recommending KBB as the best/only/preferred fuel for the little barrel he now admits he only uses lump. Big shocker for many of his cult like followers.:)

Back when I got into the RT game a couple years ago the claim was that the RT pellets were supplied by Cookinpellets.

I would guess the Kingsford relationship nets better to the bottom line if what appears is any indication. It's a prized "get" for an equipment supplier. The head guy at Pit Barrel Cooker was maneuvering for a relationship like that some years back with them and tells the story about how it was a protracted dance that eventually didn't materialize. He seemed pretty disappointed, so it must have something more than just halo value. After years of recommending KBB as the best/only/preferred fuel for the little barrel he now admits he only uses lump. Big shocker for many of his cult like followers.:)
I

I like RT pellets but they are more than double the price vs other brands. Once my initial purchase is used up I will got to LJ or BearMountain.

Anyone watching the official recteq videos lately would notice that they have been pushing the Kingsford pellets hard. I assumed that recteq was in the process of switching to Kingsford as their in-house brand, but it’s starting to look like recteq is getting out of the pellet business. They had a big announcement yesterday about the new relationship they have with Kingsford, and they were very specific about all the places that sell Kingsford, including coming soon to all Walmart stores.

Looking at the recteq site today, the only pellet option they have is a combo of 4-40# bags of the recteq pellets plus 3-20# bags (1 each classic, hickory, maple) of Kingsford pellets. Even more interesting, they can only be purchased with a grill. Makes me wonder if this will only be available until they run out of the recteq branded pellets. The Cookinpellets Perfect Mix pellets are already gone from their site. I’ve had excellent results with the recteq pellets, and while they were not a bargain price, I’m sorry to see them go. Anyone know who made them for recteq?
I wish I would’ve known this was coming. Just about to run out of the recteq blend and wanted to get another 200# delivery. 🙁

I have been impressed with Bear Mountain. I was able to get 40# hickory on amazon for $22/each shipped.
The pill size is a little larger, dust is minimal, and flavor is in line with any other premium pellet.
Hopefully sometime I can get a nice discount code for a bulk Bear Mountain pellets.

I first caught wind of RT mentioning Kingsford a few months ago. Looks like that relationship picked up steam. I tried a bag of Kingsford that I bought cheap-ish from Home Depot. It wasn't bad, but I still prefer Lumberjack.

I first caught wind of RT mentioning Kingsford a few months ago. Looks like that relationship picked up steam. I tried a bag of Kingsford that I bought cheap-ish from Home Depot. It wasn't bad, but I still prefer Lumberjack.
On another site a Bull owner recently tried the Kingsford and reported that he got considerably more ash compared to the RT pellets. Without a standard of measure it's still a subjective report, but wonder what your impression is.

On another site a Bull owner recently tried the Kingsford and reported that he got considerably more ash compared to the RT pellets. Without a standard of measure it's still a subjective report, but wonder what your impression is.
It's been so long since I used RT pellets that it's hard to make that particular comparison. But I recall thinking the amount of ash from 20# of the Kingsford was more than expected. The flavor from them was also on the mild side, even when using a tube. That's all subjective memory, mind you. But let's just say I wasn't overly impressed and running out to but more.

I've also used some Bear Mountain and even Pit Boss Comp Blend just to try the el cheapo from Lowes. Got back to some LJ this week.

Last edited:
The last 200lb batch of Perfect Mix I ordered from RT came with the Cookin Pellets logo on the bag. The Ultimate blend pellets that came with the cooker and had the RT logo on the bag were undoubtedly made by Cookin Pellets.

For those disappointed by the Kingsford change, you can buy the Cookin Pellets cheaper directly from the source (imagine that). Problem is, you have to buy a large quantity (unless you want to pay a dollar a pound from Amazon). But it’s much cheaper than formerly buying from RT and I really enjoy the CP brand. I have seen these go on sale before where you could get 7-10 bags for around $20 a bag ($0.50 a lb). Worth keeping an eye out for that again.

I've had good results from Lumber Jack. I'm going in on a "Group Buy" of Lumber Jack from BBQ Pellets Online to the Kansas City area. They sell 1/4 Ton, 1/2 Ton and 1 Ton lots as well as a 1 Ton "Group Buys" which is 1/4 Ton (13 - 40# bags or 26 20# bags) to each of four individuals. The 1/4 Ton, 1/2 Ton and 1 Ton can be picked up at a shipping terminal or delivered to site (for extra cost). The "Group Buy" is shipping terminal pick up only. The shipment can be any mix of Lumber Jack. The 1 Ton "Group Buy" pricing is almost as good as a 1 Ton shipment. Depending on your location (distance from Hayward, WI), the cost per pound is around $0.35 to $0.40/#. I have no monetary interest in BBQ Pellets Online. It's just a way to get pellets at a lower cost. The current "Group Buys" where at least one person has submitted their order is listed at:
https://bbqpelletsonline.com/index.php/contact-us/current-group-buys

I spoke with RecTeq yesterday and confirmed they are not selling pellets without an accompanying grill purchase. The Rep was very kind (which is consistent with their well established company values, kudos Chris) and they didn‘t say they were getting out of the Pellet game per say. He gave me a referral to the Kingsford and said they were great pellets. I also asked about the “white bagged” pellets versus their pellets with the Recteq “black” label and markings. He said both were good. He also said cookin pellets was a good blend to use. I think we all know there was an existing partnership with CP though. Just an update.

I have 1/2 a bag of RT pellets left and then I'm switching to all Lumberjack. I've liked their stuff...it's made here in Wisconsin...and I can get 20# bags for $7.99-$9.99 anytime locally.

Just FYI if anyone wants to stock up on "original" rec tec pellets.. I just bought 4 x 40lb bags for $108 (pretax) from Home Depot. It's easiest to google it.

I cleaned out my smoker a few days ago after going thru several bags of "Bear Mountain " pellets and I was impressed with the amount of ash there was. They burn very clean.

I have no experience with the RT pellets, but have run several bags of Bear Mountain through my new Bull in the last month. All the cooks have been fantastic. I get them locally for really cheap, so I am pleased to keep using them.

I live locally and just bought a bag of original Rec Teq pellets. They claim that they will continue to offer the original pellets locally or in bundles. They cited shipping cost as the reason they no longer offer the original pellets online. They definitely have a partnership with Kingsford now. Kingsford is on their signs and such.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back