RecTeq mistake (big one)

I'm with you, bud...I bought a new RT-590 and it arrived like it had been in a demolition derby. I was thinking of RecTeq when I looked at what I could see of the inside and didn't see any damage so I didn't reject the shipment. That was my big mistake!

It never worked correctly and they did try to make it right. I could not keep a constant temp. It let me down on a large Thanksgiving meal and I was upset. But when it let me down again on Christmas Day with a big crowd and a very expensive prime rib roast, well...I lost it!

I threw it in the corner of my garage, where it's been ever since X-mas. I can't even sell it cheap around here. I have a stainless steel anchor or mooring. That's all it's good for. I do give props to customer service...it's just an inferior product trumped up to sound superior.

I would keep working with them on resolving your issues. I'm sure once you do you will be happy for what it is. Every manufacturer has issues. It seems like you got a bug and just need to squash it. Overall it is hard to beat for what it is. Likely they will get even more cheaply made so best to work it out now and hold onto a tank rather than some tin.

Reading all this “equity” stuff is making me a bit nervous now. I live about an hour from RT HQ and have been in the market for a pellet smoker. Happened to be in Evans and picked one up. Wanted to support local. CS was spot on. Did notice I got a dented drip bucket but figured that was minor. Fingers crossed when I do my first cook this week!🤞
I think you will be fine. Call Customer Service and make them send you a new bucket. Good Luck, and keep us posted on how your first cook goes.

I’m really sorry that RT is going south. My 590 is a year and a half old and I love it. One minor problem with the fan smacking loose wires. Fixed with a twisty. Oh yeah. Leaky bucket. Put foil around the outside because I was smoking at the time. Never did put it on the inside. It worked fine so far, almost since it was brand new.

11 years ago I ordered a camper to be built to my specs and we drove that thing all over the country and lived in it during the winters, probably a total of 3 1/2 years over the course of 10 years. Trouble free. Then that company got bought out. Junk now. It seems companies just can’t let well enough be.

I’m really sorry that RT is going south. My 590 is a year and a half old and I love it. One minor problem with the fan smacking loose wires. Fixed with a twisty. Oh yeah. Leaky bucket. Put foil around the outside because I was smoking at the time. Never did put it on the inside. It worked fine so far, almost since it was brand new.

11 years ago I ordered a camper to be built to my specs and we drove that thing all over the country and lived in it during the winters, probably a total of 3 1/2 years over the course of 10 years. Trouble free. Then that company got bought out. Junk now. It seems companies just can’t let well enough be.
Increasing profits is the goal, not customer satisfaction.

IME, “equity partner” is a fancy name for “profiteer!” They lend you money, take control of your business and then squeeze it for every penny they can. Sadly, you see this happen to a lot of smaller, private companies that develop a good product and find a market for it. The profiteers see that business model as an opportunity to make money at the expense of quality control, customer service, etc. I fear that’s exactly what’s happening to RT.
Indeed it is because "He who has the gold, makes the rules".

I really wanted another grill to do sides at a different temp. but after my own experience with estes and everyone else having issues I'm gonna have to go with another brand unless I ever make it to a showroom.

I really wanted another grill to do sides at a different temp. but after my own experience with estes and everyone else having issues I'm gonna have to go with another brand unless I ever make it to a showroom.

Did you have issues with your 1st delivery? They will make it right if you have issues.

Yikes. I guess I got lucky with mine. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. And has been 110% for a year now. So far.
I wonder if me ordering a bunch of pellets with the grill created a protective shield around the grill for shipping. =)

Everything was shrink wrapped together. Except for some of the accessory boxes.

Attachments

• 20210324_112650_LI.jpg
    20210324_112650_LI.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 88
Disappointed to hear this as I'm waiting for Estes to get off their duff and deliver my RT-1250. I sure hope I don't regret going in this direction, especially since my Traeger 885 Ironwood has performed flawlessly except it doesn't provide much smoke regardless of pellet brand used (except for Knottywood Plum).

It was the unavailable smokebox that sold me........and the stainless as I'm contemplating a move to Florida in a couple years.
Hope yours stainless does not rust like mine has.

Hope yours stainless does not rust like mine has.
Anyplace special, like at the welds, at the hardware/screw holes or just all over patina of rust?
Barkeepers Friend ? It should improve the look even if it can't get all of it.

Did you have issues with your 1st delivery? They will make it right if you have issues.
Just the horrible delay sitting at estes for ever before finally being delivered. I lucked out with no damage but I did just order a rt340 bundle so let's hope those pellet bags stay closed.

Last edited:
My hopper lid on my 1250 has rust spots now. Gonna try to get rid of them tomorrow. Fun father's day project. Haha. Also the rust is all over the top in small little dots. Like half pea size

My hopper lid on my 1250 has rust spots now. Gonna try to get rid of them tomorrow. Fun father's day project. Haha. Also the rust is all over the top in small little dots. Like half pea size
I've got them, are you sure it's not baked on grease? I had my griddle in there, seasoning it - wanted to see how hot the grill gets - I hit 783 before I shut it down. My hopper lid is in front, it warped like crazy and I have spots on my lid. The warp goes away once it cools back down. Going to try barkeepers friend on those spots.

PS - The spots look worse in person.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Just the horrible delay sitting at estes for ever before finally being delivered. I lucked out with no damage but I did just order a rt340 bundle so let's hope those pellet bags stay closed.
Makes me a little nervous reading this thread....
My 340 bundle is on the truck for delivery today...via Southeast Freight

I've got them, are you sure it's not baked on grease? I had my griddle in there, seasoning it - wanted to see how hot the grill gets - I hit 783 before I shut it down. My hopper lid is in front, it warped like crazy and I have spots on my lid. The warp goes away once it cools back down. Going to try barkeepers friend on those spots.

I have the 1250 so I don't have a warped lid. It's definitely not grease. I had to scrub with bartenders friend and you can still see the spots they are just not rust spots now. Just slightly darker spots than the lid. Either way took about 15 minutes of really hard scrubbing so hopefully it keeps them away for a while. Your lid warping is crazy. Also I bought the griddle grates from grillgrates.com and really like them. Did philly cheese steaks last night

Wow, as someone that just took delivery of a new 1070 this past week, The lid warping has me worried. I knew I was taking a risk on the new design, but seems like a lot of issues so far.

Wow, as someone that just took delivery of a new 1070 this past week, The lid warping has me worried. I knew I was taking a risk on the new design, but seems like a lot of issues so far.
It pops right back into original form when it cools. Not sure I'll ever use 783* in a cooking situation.
Ran a brisket overnight (actually - still on), was never more than 5* off. The stainless quality isn't great, but I'm pretty sure (from grill owner stories) I'd be buying spray paint and sandpaper if I took a painted grill that high. So I have a copper/golden bottom half of my 1070 and the top is still pretty good aside from those spots I need to scrub away. I think it's a solid design - just not top tier build quality. It's a grill, not a DeLorean; I expect it to get uglied up after a while.

I posted this in response to anther member’s questions but I think it frames the current state of affairs for those receiving a RecTeq product on the first steps in the process. If anyone wants to build on this concept, please feel free to add your feedback or experiences. Through the sharing of knowledge, perhaps we can enhance the new user/family member experience.

I suggest you start with an inspection. Before the transportation company runs away give it an overall sanity check for any broken, dropped, damage packaging as it could be an indicator that you want a “witness” for the opening party. I realize RecTeq support is phenomenal but there is nothing worst that getting something brand new and needing to order parts before it can be used because of ”upon recept” damages. Once accepted, check all the larger surfaces for damage including all weld points, and the concentricity of the bolts, nuts, bolt holes, and their alignment. You may even want to do a test fit to make sure they aren’t cross threaded or damaged. I realize this shouldn’t be required but the variability in RecTeq quality will drive your decision, trust me. Then, lay down a large moving blanket or similar to protect the assembly area. Nothing worse than putting scratches on your new “rig” until there is a great story behind the battle scars, lol. I agree that a second set of hands helps when placing the cooking chamber on the stand, if not, an adjustable saw horse of tall floor jack will be your best friend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back