RecTeq mistake (big one)

SmokeOCD

Their big mistake was asking me for an opinion of how I like my new 1070 that I ordered May 12th.

Since I'm on my second grill and the 3rd cabinet is on its way - I hit my boiling point and let them have it.
I know 99% of everyone here is at least somewhat satisfied with the grill. Maybe my mistake was going for the new model; I wanted to avoid the paint issue when searing.

So far Estes beat up the first grill, the QC on the cart was non existent. The welds were so hot they discolored the stainless from the other side, making it not stainless anymore.

Second shipment - grill looks fine, cannot test due to 1. the cart being damaged in shipment 2. the nuts welded to the base of the cart were off center so the screws can't fit.

Third time needs to be the last time either way. If this third one isn't good either - I'll ask for a full refund and go shopping for a grill on a father's day sale.

I was pretty chill this morning until they asked me to rate them. (I did put in a good word for the CSRs. They're awesome, but can't overcome bad QC and bad shippers)

It is an embarrassment when you recommend them to others which for these reasons and a few others I don't do that. I'm not making excuses for them when inherent issues bubble up.

I know my unit for what it is and enjoy it. I don't complain but don't recommend them either.

It took three shipments before I got an “acceptable” Bullseye. Even then they had to send out another grate (only after the CS manager got involved). All three grills had weld problems in the barrel. The last one at least wasn’t burned all the way through. The grate was missing the enamel coating in a couple of places.

Their answer was that after a few cooks everything would have a coating so it wouldn’t be a problem, and if it developed a leak they’d send me a mat. Like I want to clean grease every cook off a new grill. I told them I didn’t pay for scratch and dent and I expected the grill to be of the qaulity they advertised. I love cooking on the Bullseye and am glad I bought it but I wasn’t thrilled with RecTeq the company at all.

One of my interactions with CS they offered me a koozie for my troubles 🤦‍♂️ . I enjoy my grills and my first two purchases were great, but that was before they took outside money.

Disappointed to hear this as I'm waiting for Estes to get off their duff and deliver my RT-1250. I sure hope I don't regret going in this direction, especially since my Traeger 885 Ironwood has performed flawlessly except it doesn't provide much smoke regardless of pellet brand used (except for Knottywood Plum).

It was the unavailable smokebox that sold me........and the stainless as I'm contemplating a move to Florida in a couple years.

It took three shipments before I got an “acceptable” Bullseye. Even then they had to send out another grate (only after the CS manager got involved). All three grills had weld problems in the barrel. The last one at least wasn’t burned all the way through. The grate was missing the enamel coating in a couple of places.

Their answer was that after a few cooks everything would have a coating so it wouldn’t be a problem, and if it developed a leak they’d send me a mat. Like I want to clean grease every cook off a new grill. I told them I didn’t pay for scratch and dent and I expected the grill to be of the qaulity they advertised. I love cooking on the Bullseye and am glad I bought it but I wasn’t thrilled with RecTeq the company at all.

One of my interactions with CS they offered me a koozie for my troubles 🤦‍♂️ . I enjoy my grills and my first two purchases were great, but that was before they took outside money.
Wow. A koozie? Go big or go home I guess.

Campchef makes a nice grill, a buddy of mine has one and loves it. Hear good things about Zgrills as well, or try to find an AMERICAN made grill and be done with it all.

I hate to see this. I had my igniter go out last summer on my 590. I called them and told them I had a problem getting the grill to start. The diagnosed it as the igniter and sent me a new one and didn't charge me. I'd had the grill for 15 months.

Sorry about your issues. I got my Bullseye and had no shipping issues. Received product, assembled it, i cook on it 3-5 times a week. I'm very happy with product and support.

I'm not sure any company is immune...I've had MORE than my fair share of issues with my RT-1250...Bad control board, and the replacement had no printed instructions, and the video they said I should follow had INCORRECT instructions...Long story short, I almost regret not buying a Yoder, but there's plenty of complaints about them too! Technology is a double-edged sword...Maybe I'll just go back to a stick burner next time...

Their big mistake was asking me for an opinion of how I like my new 1070 that I ordered May 12th.

Since I'm on my second grill and the 3rd cabinet is on its way - I hit my boiling point and let them have it.
I know 99% of everyone here is at least somewhat satisfied with the grill. Maybe my mistake was going for the new model; I wanted to avoid the paint issue when searing.
So far Estes beat up the first grill, the QC on the cart was non existent. The welds were so hot they discolored the stainless from the other side, making it not stainless anymore.
Second shipment - grill looks fine, cannot test due to 1. the cart being damaged in shipment 2. the nuts welded to the base of the cart were off center so the screws can't fit.
Third time needs to be the last time either way. If this third one isn't good either - I'll ask for a full refund and go shopping for a grill on a father's day sale.

I was pretty chill this morning until they asked me to rate them. (I did put in a good word for the CSRs. They're awesome, but can't overcome bad QC and bad shippers)
I had similar issues with my RT-1250 earlier this year. First one leaked grease around where the auger case meets the drum. Bad caulking job. They didn’t want to replace it. Sent me caulking and told me to just keep cooking and the grease and ash would plug the holes? Really??. Door was bent so the drip strip didn’t seal and grease ran down the front. ‘Smoke stack flange was bent. Lots of QC stickers on the grill, though! Finally got them to send me a new grill. Bent up grease bucket. Faulty shelf brackets (had to send me 6 to get one that worked right!) and the main fan didn’t run. Got all the faulty parts replaced fine now after weeks of effort, and caulked the new grill myself as a precaution. Grills runs like a champ now, but their manufacturing QC sucks. I don’t know how they make any money with all the replacement parts they must send out along with the ‘free gifts’ to make up for you trouble.

Seem like a lot these issues started @ the time they got bought out or merged with that other company.

As some of you may or may not know, I live in Evans, GA. I'm about seven miles from RT-HQ. Attended the April Academy, which is a blast of awesome knowledge. During the "downtimes", there was a lot of discussions going on. The "money injection" equity deal was front and center several times. After doing a little reading on equity companies in general, and Norwest in particular, I've come to the conclusion that they are cut from the same cloth as used car salesmen/saleswomen. Good side is that they have money, bad side is that they KNOW they have the money, and if you take their money, they now become Board Chair. By accepting "the money", the founders have lost some of their autonomy. Norwest is the reason you do not see Dirty Gurl on the website. Norwest was the Kingsford Killer, per one of the other guys in my Academy class. And the ESTES trucks were like honeybee workers, flying in and out of the RT hive. The consensus at the Academy, was that there are "good" Estes, and "bad" Estes on the back end. It is costing RT money, both in dollars and reputation. The money has allowed them to expand the "foot-print" (Utah), and build up inventory, but I think we can all agree, at a cost. The new grills, and the sheer volumes they are asking for, could very well be over-taxing the Chinese suppliers. Hence the drop in QC. I think the proof of this, is that they now have a somewhat continuous scratch-and-dent sale going on, which used to not be the case. However, getting back to the "leaks", I can remember YouTuber "Smokin' Steve" talking about his Bulls-Eye needing a mat under it, since he keeps it in his covered lanai in Florida. That was a couple years now, so I don't think this is a new problem. I have a mat under mine. @SquireJim said, "technology is a double-sided sword". I think equity company's business "intrusions", are as well. The good news, is that the people I see at RT-HQ are just as friendly and helpful as they always have been, which is a great thing. Lastly, @Waterboy -- if you need a spare RT koozie, I have one that I can send you... And the grills march on.

Last edited:
That's a quite bunch of interesting information. Thanks for it passing along. We will be at the academy in November.

Last edited:
IME, “equity partner” is a fancy name for “profiteer!” They lend you money, take control of your business and then squeeze it for every penny they can. Sadly, you see this happen to a lot of smaller, private companies that develop a good product and find a market for it. The profiteers see that business model as an opportunity to make money at the expense of quality control, customer service, etc. I fear that’s exactly what’s happening to RT.

Reading all this “equity” stuff is making me a bit nervous now. I live about an hour from RT HQ and have been in the market for a pellet smoker. Happened to be in Evans and picked one up. Wanted to support local. CS was spot on. Did notice I got a dented drip bucket but figured that was minor. Fingers crossed when I do my first cook this week!🤞

I'm with you, bud...I bought a new RT-590 and it arrived like it had been in a demolition derby. I was thinking of RecTeq when I looked at what I could see of the inside and didn't see any damage so I didn't reject the shipment. That was my big mistake!

It never worked correctly and they did try to make it right. I could not keep a constant temp. It let me down on a large Thanksgiving meal and I was upset. But when it let me down again on Christmas Day with a big crowd and a very expensive prime rib roast, well...I lost it!

I threw it in the corner of my garage, where it's been ever since X-mas. I can't even sell it cheap around here. I have a stainless steel anchor or mooring. That's all it's good for. I do give props to customer service...it's just an inferior product trumped up to sound superior.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back