RecTeq App suggestions

2Wheeler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I would like to suggest the following changes to RecTeq app. Make the temp range selectable in a range that would allow users to see temp gradients at 600 degrees the grill temp is so low temp fluctuations are imperceptible. Suggest 300, 400, 500 as the later is seldom used. Allow direct input of time range as it’s a pain to pinch the screen for folks who may have arthritis or may not be able to pinch the screen at all Or have fat fingers. 😜
A9BF719F-F74D-44BF-8705-27D1462D95E7.jpeg

Yes.. this forum is not run by RecTeq so it would be best to send it directly to them.

They do seem to take some of the mods that were thought of here and copy them though.. cough, cough.. I mean implement them so who knows.

I think they should just start over with the app.

I'm still waiting for the right deal to come along before buying a 1250, but the app comments have me feeling disappointed already in the capabilities of the app / built in thermometers.

My current grill is a Kamado Joe Big Joe and I have a FlameBoss 500 for it which works almost flawlessly. Biggest issue I've ever had was that around holidays, FlameBoss servers were overloaded and failed to do the online portions of monitoring. However, they have a backup "local network only" setting that helps when that occurs.

Based on the comments I've seen about the Recteq app and etc, it sounds like Recteq should team up with FlameBoss, FireBoard, or DigiQ type companies to license and include their apps / software for the temperature control aspect.

I'm still waiting for the right deal to come along before buying a 1250, but the app comments have me feeling disappointed already in the capabilities of the app / built in thermometers.

My current grill is a Kamado Joe Big Joe and I have a FlameBoss 500 for it which works almost flawlessly. Biggest issue I've ever had was that around holidays, FlameBoss servers were overloaded and failed to do the online portions of monitoring. However, they have a backup "local network only" setting that helps when that occurs.

Based on the comments I've seen about the Recteq app and etc, it sounds like Recteq should team up with FlameBoss, FireBoard, or DigiQ type companies to license and include their apps / software for the temperature control aspect.

Although I have experienced the notification issues I don't rely on them for my cooks. I actually don't care for their notifications as it is. I know others do but I'm sure all suppliers have issues with something. I would not let this stop you if this is the only thing that bothers you about a RecTeq. The grill itself is pretty nice and does much better than the 2 Traeger's I've had. This is coming from someone that will not recommend RecTeq but that is for other reasons. I let others choose their brand, I just won't be a cheerleader but I won't bash them either. If I were in the market, I'd likely fall back here even knowing what I know today.

The app that they are currently using is terrible compared to the previous app. Why is it folks have to tinker with all these apps and programs? Just leave something alone just once, please! Changes are seldom an improvement. The former app allowed temperature changes in 5° increments that were very easily set. This new one is a pain in the A&@! And the chart is useless in my humble opinion.

even knowing what I know today.
What are the things that you know today that would have possibly given you pause in the past? I have some of those same types of concerns with my Kamado Joe grill, but like you, would likely end up back with a Kamado Joe if I was purchasing that again.

In my case, they were a lot like Recteq when I purchased...VERY active on social media, forums, etc and had a family like feel. Oddly enough, also based in Georgia. However, they eventually sold out to Masterbuilt and their customer service and family feel declined significantly. I'm now slightly fearful of that with any company like this where they're limited in distribution and relatively small. There are also a few quality issues, but overall still a great product and mine's been going strong for 5 years now. I'm just wanting to get a pellet grill for ease / speed of use vs traditional charcoal type cooking.
The app that they are currently using is terrible compared to the previous app. Why is it folks have to tinker with all these apps and programs? Just leave something alone just once, please! Changes are seldom an improvement. The former app allowed temperature changes in 5° increments that were very easily set. This new one is a pain in the A&@! And the chart is useless in my humble opinion.
I know, right? If it's not broken, don't fix it. I don't know what the cost would be, but teaming up with a company that specializes in the temp controller / app market could really be a big selling point for their grills. Of course, they'd have to pay and that would drive up the cost of the grill.

What are the things that you know today that would have possibly given you pause in the past? I have some of those same types of concerns with my Kamado Joe grill, but like you, would likely end up back with a Kamado Joe if I was purchasing that again.

In my case, they were a lot like Recteq when I purchased...VERY active on social media, forums, etc and had a family like feel. Oddly enough, also based in Georgia. However, they eventually sold out to Masterbuilt and their customer service and family feel declined significantly. I'm now slightly fearful of that with any company like this where they're limited in distribution and relatively small. There are also a few quality issues, but overall still a great product and mine's been going strong for 5 years now. I'm just wanting to get a pellet grill for ease / speed of use vs traditional charcoal type cooking.

I know, right? If it's not broken, don't fix it. I don't know what the cost would be, but teaming up with a company that specializes in the temp controller / app market could really be a big selling point for their grills. Of course, they'd have to pay and that would drive up the cost of the grill.

I say it that way cause it really ain't nothing of a big deal. Things like they won't sell parts unless you own the model or even own a RecTeq in general. Like some folks would like to just purchase a controller for their project but they won't sell you one if you did not purchase a unit from them. They have already said no dice for any 1250 parts to allow folks to upgrade their 700's.. just selfish in my view.

Support likes to blow off minor things as it seems they don't want to be bothered. Things like temp issues which I have had where it takes forever to lower the temp after being high. It will not respond until like 10-15 minutes.. I don't know why but they point fingers to the user which I don't appreciate when it is obvious there is some kind of a bug there. Another thing is the app notifications as mentioned but honestly I don't rely on them but as said others do and they continually fail to resolve that. In general the unit works well and a lot better than my old Tragers (tried 2 and both had issues) so for the cost and what you get it's hard to go elsewhere. The 6 year warranty pretty much sells it, just don't expect that warranty to cover bug fixes.

I know there are problems with the app and people should be concerned. I know that spending more to fix the problem is a pain but I bought the Meter Plus. I know it won't solve the app problem but it makes my cooks a lot more enjoyable and that is what grilling is all about. I do believe that RT will fix the problems. Even with that problem I think the RT is still the best for the price.

I actually don't expect them to do much with the app. I assume they test new versions before release, but they may not see the issues if they only test next to the servers and during the week.

Yesterday morning the apt dropped my 1250. Cooked on it a week ago, so I redid it, everything went well. Late yesterday afternoon I did a second cook, reverse sear steak, no notifications until after 7pm. Not a big deal but still. The tracking really irks me. Doesn’t track it if it’s not open, and having to consistently stretch out the timing graph every time you open it is ridiculous.

The first time I had an issue with the app was when in the middle of a cook the grill turned off while being monitored/controlled by the app. Before that it worked fine. Now I cannot seem to link it to my router any longer.

While I like the ability to control the grill remotely and see the reported temps along the way, risking the grill going off during brisket cook in the middle of the dark hours is just not worth it. I never had a remote app before the 590 so I don't miss it that much.

If I believed in coincidences, then I would believe the router issues I had that were solved concurrently with removing the RecTeq app from my phone was a coincidence.

To add… yesterday started the grill 10:45am stopped at 6:45pm the only notifications I got were on and off. Although I don’t rely on the notifications, it pretty piss poor app performance. The temp history is at best very sloppy. Having to adjust the time periods every time you open it is stupid, so along with all the complaints the app far below the previous version.

Suggestion: temperature axis adjustments. Also, does not need to go to 1000 deg F.

Attachments

• 2F0E79B3-2FA1-4EC5-BEC8-F09D88AABD5D.jpeg
    2F0E79B3-2FA1-4EC5-BEC8-F09D88AABD5D.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 62

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back