Recteq’s Cold Weather Cooking Tip

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I as watching the latest Recteq YouTube video that just came out, offering cold weather cooking tips. One of the tips was to allow 1/8” - 1/4” of ash to build up at the bottom of the drum, to help insulate it. The is a new one for me. I almost always vacuum out the ash after a cook, especially if it’s a lengthy one…:oops:

Yeah, folks have been saying to let the ash build up for a while now. I really don't do a lot of cold weather cooking, but I HATE having ash blowing all over something I want to eat so I always clean up the ash before and after long cooks.

Yeah, folks have been saying to let the ash build up for a while now. I really don't do a lot of cold weather cooking, but I HATE having ash blowing all over something I want to eat so I always clean up the ash before and after long cooks.
I'm the same way. I prefer to keep my grill clean.

When I do cold weather cooking I just throw my welding blanket over the grill and have had zero issues.

I’ve read plenty complaints about welding blankets shedding, what brand do you use?

My first “cold-weather tip” is don’t cook outside in it unless you have to! :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, I am sometimes unable to follow my own tips, so will be grilling beef filets for dinner in 11F temperatures with 15 mph winds gusting to 25. Fortunately, my Napoleon gas grill is up to the task. With any luck, I can get the job done in about 10 minutes of outdoor time. Down jacket time!

Last edited:
I have been smoking on the RT during winter for years. Both with the barrel vacuumed and with a few layers of ash on the bottom. I have not noticed much of a difference. Matter of fact, I vacuumed tonight knowing temps were going to get into the teens in the next few hours. I also don't notice much of the ash blowing around on my food. Although I might be numb to it, as I cook on a charcoal BBQ all the time, and charcoal and the wood chunks I put in the pit does blow around a bit of ash. Don't notice as much on the RT.

I am a little spoiled (SoCal) by the weather but I actually leave the ash in the bottom for 2 reasons. The first is that it will absorb spillage from anything that hangs outside the drip pan, and the second is that it does actually provide a protective barrier for moisture. Think of it as a desiccant for your chamber. I’ll have to probe the ash temps and the external chamber temps next time I use it to see if I can detect any insulating properties. When I purchased my Bull 3 years ago, it was recommended you leave some ash in the bottom of the pit’s interior to keep it from rusting prematurely. I know some parts are SS but of varying series (3xx vs 4xx). Or maybe I was in a dream state and made that up. Either way, I don‘t get a lot of ash circulating during my cooks even though I have about an 1” of ash coating the entire bottom Great question, can’t wait the see the responses.

Cooking in cold temps? I live in Arizona and we barely get in the 30's at night so no worries here. My Bull will be smoking all weekend and I don't need no stinkin' jacket!

Merry Christmas all

Cooking in cold temps? I live in Arizona and we barely get in the 30's at night so no worries here. My Bull will be smoking all weekend and I don't need no stinkin' jacket!

Merry Christmas all
Not looking good for me doing much outdoor cooking this weekend! I don’t ever remember it getting below zero where I live.
F93E92E3-B069-45A3-99DB-1CCA07C24AB7.jpeg

So I as watching the latest Recteq YouTube video that just came out, offering cold weather cooking tips. One of the tips was to allow 1/8” - 1/4” of ash to build up at the bottom of the drum, to help insulate it. The is a new one for me. I almost always vacuum out the ash after a cook, especially if it’s a lengthy one…:oops:
I'm cooking now, it's 25 degrees outside. Vaccumed the grill after my last cook. I don't like pellet dust floating around the grill either. Have cooked twice in cold temps, but today is the coldest day so far. Had no issues previously in the cold. What I did do was seal the lid with a grill gasket and that seems to help keep consistent heat.

20221223_064627.jpg

Not looking good for me doing much outdoor cooking this weekend! I don’t ever remember it getting below zero where I live.
We have a light dust of snow and +3 temps. I was done with Alaska temps and while nothing like it, I have reacclimated to the Deep South, so a bit cool. Hoping for temps in the 20’s on Sunday.

Better this morning. Warmed up to 0° and wind is only blowing 23 mph. Wind has cleared up our driveway some. Illinowhere is lovely. Wish I still lived in Texas.

Better this morning. Warmed up to 0° and wind is only blowing 23 mph. Wind has cleared up our driveway some. Illinowhere is lovely. Wish I still lived in Texas.
Well it is a little warmer here in East Texas…we got hit with this cold stuff too. The high yesterday was 23F, supposed to warm up 34F today. Smoking a Christmas turkey tomorrow, so I’m thankful for the warm up.

Here is a cold weather cooking tip that only costs a few bucks. Put a few fire bricks in the drum and vacuum the ash out so it dosent get on your food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back