RecTec Blanket or?

Seattlepaul1975

I did the search and didn't really find what I am trying to determine.
So here up in the Pacific Northwest, I am a about 20miles from a mountain pass so it is windy and colder then down at sea level.

I have had no issues, but recently with the stronger winter winds and colder temps I fight to get to 400....I chewed thru what seems like a metric ton of pellets, and never got above 410!

I saw the blanket from RecTec but states only to 350? Any options or is that not right? I am still waiting to do searing and such on it or do some quick cook salmon on the sear grates.

Thanks!!!

sck77

Grill(s) owned
Bull
I recently spoke to RecTec about the cover. The temp noted is true... any hotter and it can melt. It was designed with slow cooks/low temps in mind. But like you, I wanted high heat, too. After perusing through some forums here, numerous people noted using welders blankets and moving blankets. The welders blankets are a very cheap alternative to try that can withstand some serious heat - though not sure how hot to the touch they get when exposed to such elements. I recently picked up a sheet of black ¼" thick felt carbon fiber at a discounted price on Amazon (notably no longer available in the bigger size) to try on my RT-700. Did some minor fabric modifications (cutting and hand sewing) to allow for form, fit and functionality - notably sewing doesn't appear to be something I'm naturally skilled at - but goes on easy, and allows for opening and closing. $25 all-in (plus labor :)) The few cooks I've done on my new grill were in relatively cooler weather and - yeah, even at 225 or 250, after 12 hour+ cooks the cost of pellets was adding up quick. Will find out how this welders blanket does for the first time on a slow and long cook this weekend in midwest where temps are going to be closer to 20F or less. An alternative to consider though Seattlepaul. Good luck!

ifican

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Yep standard welding blanket and you should be good, just be sure to check specs first.

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
Bull
Blankets are a great addition if for nothing else it allows your RecTec to get up to temp very quickly and will use a bit less pellets as well.

Just be sure to not cover up the horns as they will get very hot otherwise.

sck77

Grill(s) owned
Bull
I recently spoke to RecTec about the cover. The temp noted is true... any hotter and it can melt. It was designed with slow cooks/low temps in mind. But like you, I wanted high heat, too. After perusing through some forums here, numerous people noted using welders blankets and moving blankets. The welders blankets are a very cheap alternative to try that can withstand some serious heat - though not sure how hot to the touch they get when exposed to such elements. I recently picked up a sheet of black ¼" thick felt carbon fiber at a discounted price on Amazon (notably no longer available in the bigger size) to try on my RT-700. Did some minor fabric modifications (cutting and hand sewing) to allow for form, fit and functionality - notably sewing doesn't appear to be something I'm naturally skilled at - but goes on easy, and allows for opening and closing. $25 all-in (plus labor :)) The few cooks I've done on my new grill were in relatively cooler weather and - yeah, even at 225 or 250, after 12 hour+ cooks the cost of pellets was adding up quick. Will find out how this welders blanket does for the first time on a slow and long cook this weekend in midwest where temps are going to be closer to 20F or less. An alternative to consider though Seattlepaul. Good luck!
Tried out the welders blanket Sunday in Chicago (-15 windchill; 5 deg F) and have to say I was worried...so cold and windy. The good news....the 7 lbs pork shoulder was awesome. The grill Held temps at 225 F and 250 F without any issues - total cook time was around 10 hours and if I had to guess, I used up to 12-13 lbs of pellets

Deuce

Grill(s) owned
Bull, RT-680, RT-300
Blankets are a great addition if for nothing else it allows your RecTec to get up to temp very quickly and will use a bit less pellets as well.

Just be sure to not cover up the horns as they will get very hot otherwise.
Purchased a Tillman ThermoFelt 6x6 welding blanket a few years back for my 680. It works very well. I double it up and just drape it over. As stated earlier do not cover the horns they get hot, trust me! You can cut out for the horns if you want or just run it between them. I have no problem reaching whatever temp I want in the middle of winter in Wisconsin. I was not sure that I wanted to try a fiberglass type welding blanket so I spent the extra on this. No regrets. The mouse in the garage apparently also loves this judging by the fist size hole he left in it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2Wheeler Chicken done the RecTec Stampede RT-590 4
charlesrshell RecTec app Rec Teq Lounge 8
OrangeCrush Light for the RecTec 590 Stampede RT-590 3