Bullseye Reconsidering Bullseye purchase… Need help

REMDMM

Having had a great experience with our 590 this last year, my wife decided to buy me a Bullseye for Christmas. Unfortunately, it arrived with a damaged pellet hopper. The replacement arrived yesterday and it also had damage to the same area, but much worse this time.

While waiting for the replacement to arrive, I had some time to do more research and see mention online of grease fires with the 380 model. This concerns me and makes me wonder if I should even bother with another replacement or just call it quits.

Have any of you experienced issues with grease fires and if so, what have you done to address them?

I did search this site but the only thing I see mentioned is the use of a drip pan but that only seems to be for longer cooks.

Having had a great experience with our 590 this last year, my wife decided to buy me a Bullseye for Christmas. Unfortunately, it arrived with a damaged pellet hopper. The replacement arrived yesterday and it also had damage to the same area, but much worse this time.

While waiting for the replacement to arrive, I had some time to do more research and see mention online of grease fires with the 380 model. This concerns me and makes me wonder if I should even bother with another replacement or just call it quits.

Have any of you experienced issues with grease fires and if so, what have you done to address them?

I did search this site but the only thing I see mentioned is the use of a drip pan but that only seems to be for longer cooks.
I have the 380 and mine arrived with a broken temperature sensor that RT took care of without issue.

I use my 380 for steaks and burgers.
I wouldn't suggest cooking fatty foods on the 380 without a drip pan. The drip pan does several things like catch grease and act as a heat deflector. Keeping the grill clean also plays a big role with fires, keep it clean!

I have the 380 and mine arrived with a broken temperature sensor that RT took care of without issue.

I use my 380 for steaks and burgers.
I wouldn't suggest cooking fatty foods on the 380 without a drip pan. The drip pan does several things like catch grease and act as a heat deflector. Keeping the grill clean also plays a big role with fires, keep it clean!
Thank you Chris.

How large of a pan do you use?

Thank you Chris.

How large of a pan do you use?
I use my Traeger for greasy cooks. I think some are using this. Hopefully they will chime in to confirm.

I haven't found a reason for a drip pan yet. I purchased the 380 more as a Weber kettle substitute.

Would you be looking to return or sell it? I assume return but I would love to pick one up and add to my arsenal if the deal permitted. So many uses with that little guy when combined with my other tools.

Would you be looking to return or sell it? I assume return but I would love to pick one up and add to my arsenal if the deal permitted. So many uses with that little guy when combined with my other tools.
It would be returned... damage is bad :(

It would be returned... damage is bad :(

Well that is a shame based on that.. but if ya return and still don't want her afterwards I'm sure someone would pick her up here.

They will sort the damage out. I had a few issues really minor overall and prob not worth even bringing up but when ya get something new that is what you expect to have.

im not understanding greasy cooks?

Grease fire are part of grilling? or have my years of flame ups been lieing to me?

I think the op damaged grill may be causing his problems?

id rather have a flame up on a outdoor grill then in my oven....

im not understanding greasy cooks?

Grease fire are part of grilling? or have my years of flame ups been lieing to me?

I think the op damaged grill may be causing his problems?

id rather have a flame up on a outdoor grill then in my oven....
I didn't see any mention of OP cooking on a damaged grill, must have missed that part.

My bullseye also had a damaged pellet hopper too. They sent me replacement metal pieces but I haven’t installed them yet. Only used it twice so far. Only issue is that the temp probe in the grill reads lower than the actual temperature in the grill. I checked it with a regular dial thermometer.

My bullseye also had a damaged pellet hopper too. They sent me replacement metal pieces but I haven’t installed them yet. Only used it twice so far. Only issue is that the temp probe in the grill reads lower than the actual temperature in the grill. I checked it with a regular dial thermometer.
Easily remedied.

NO PROBLEM WITH MINE...BUT ,I do keep it clean, and I am sure there is a temp point that any very fatty food will create enough grease to start a fire ...I long cook/smoke in the 700 and use the 380 for the wings,burgers,dogs,veges, and as back up for the 700 when needed for larger cooks...

NO PROBLEM WITH MINE...BUT ,I do keep it clean, and I am sure there is a temp point that any very fatty food will create enough grease to start a fire ...I long cook/smoke in the 700 and use the 380 for the wings,burgers,dogs,veges, and as back up for the 700 when needed for larger cooks...
I like mine very much now that I have adjusted temp(see elsewhere). Flare ups and grease fires are different events to me. Flare ups occur often when doing hot cooks with steaks and chops etc. and very hot surfaces. They are a common part of professional cooking and can give you good char effect as seen with charcoal grilling or open flame grills. They require the chef to know how and when to control them.
Grease fires are uncontrolled and dangerous, as there is too much grease and it can spread into your auger, hopper and if not addressed quickly can destroy your cook, grill/smoker, or your adjacent home.
If I am going to do a low/slow cook with fatty meat on 380 I will use a drip pan with some water to catch most of drips. Then after the cook clean up the inside of the pit. For medium heat fatty cooks the same. No grease fires so far for me. The 380 is easy and fast to clean up so no big deal. However, I mostly use the 380 for hot cooks and flare ups are easy to deal with. Just move the meat to different spot if it lasts longer than a few seconds. Usually it does not last and leads to great char broiled steaks, chops and chicken, burgers etc.
Like my 380!!

I have the same issue. I have a 700, decided to get rid of my gas grill and buy the bullseye. The first one arrived with holes in the box from a forklift and the hopper was damaged. The second one arrived two days ago with two corners of the box not even together and the hopper had been damaged this time much worse than the first time. I wrote them and told them to send me two shipping labels and to refund my money and that they need to come up with better shipping methods and UPS need to be more diligent in handling merchandise. Looks like I will end up buying another Weber for those hot and fast cooks.

I have the same issue. I have a 700, decided to get rid of my gas grill and buy the bullseye. The first one arrived with holes in the box from a forklift and the hopper was damaged. The second one arrived two days ago with two corners of the box not even together and the hopper had been damaged this time much worse than the first time. I wrote them and told them to send me two shipping labels and to refund my money and that they need to come up with better shipping methods and UPS need to be more diligent in handling merchandise. Looks like I will end up buying another Weber for those hot and fast cooks.
Shipping / packing doesn't seem to be RT's forte.

All I have to say about drip pans, is be careful NOT to spill water into the bottom of the grill when placing it in. The spilled water makes it way to the blower fan. Ask me how I know.

All I have to say about drip pans, is be careful NOT to spill water into the bottom of the grill when placing it in. The spilled water makes it way to the blower fan. Ask me how I know.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back