Recommended Gap between the Chimney and the Chimney Cap

Brian Vallotton

I have never really heard anyone speak about the recommended gap on the chimney cap. Does a smaller gap make more smoke? Does the way it comes from the factory have a preset height or is it just luck of the draw? My unit comes next week some time. Was just wondering... love to hear your thoughts.

Screenshot_20200223-143051.png
. This is all I've ever seen on it.

Thanks, I have owned a Traeger Texas Elite 34 and am waiting on my new Bull, but have never known exactly what the recommendation is. I know too much damper would interfere with air flow, and too much gap would probably effect the smoke production. God bless and happy grilling!

Last edited:
@Brian Vallotton here's just a quick screenshot from a pic I had on hand. Obviously it's not a "looking at it level" shot, but you get the idea.
I would say it's slightly higher than the RecTec recommendation I posted early. Hope that helps.
Screenshot_20200223-195529.png

Honestly, the RT answer isn't an answer. Anything from 1/2" to 4" meets that definition.

Welcome to the forum and also soon to the RT family. I haven’t changed mine from the “as delivered” configuration. I remember some time ago people in higher elevations (above 6,000’) were making adjustments on the RT680s, but I think the new PID controller in the RT700 can compensate for the altitude better and also maintain the temperature profile more consistently. Now when it comes to smoke and/or smoke saturation. I feel riot mode (e.g., set 160f-180f) can give me ample coverage then, move the temp above 210f for the balance of my cooks. As you probably know, everyones tastebuds are calibrated individually and you don’t know until you experiment.

Good luck with your cooks.

This is something I have never considered or will. It came preinstalled and I left as installed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back