Rec Teq PID controller vs Traeger PID DS controller

Caps_Shield

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So in my research I found thought I figured out that Rec Teq had a better controller because it is a PID controller. That it vary +/- 5 degrees because of this. I was reading last night that new Traegers (Pro 575) not only have a PID controller but their new DS controller has a DC motor to make it stronger. Now I'm so confused. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Any help is appreciated.

Before I purchased my 1250, the takeaways I heard in asking as many people I knew with pellet grills was:

At the time, the Recteq had a more stable controller. I suspect that Traeger obviously makes enhancements over time so they may be comparable or even superior now. I know their mobile app seems to be better received than Recteq's. I can say I have had no real issues with maintaining consistent temperatures in my grill.

Not sure what a DC motor lends to the conversation. RPM's seems to be the issue. There isn't a heavy load on an auger motor so I don't know why more (presumably) torque from a DC motor would be helpful. Frankly I just don't know.

The one thing I have heard over and over is the build quality of the actual grill. The Traeger guys I know gripe about rust and thin sheet metal. Even the Yoder guys complain about rust. We've seen some folks here with rust/paint problems with the grill frames, but no one seems to be complaining about problems with their cooker (in general).

I'm not really answering your questions, but rather just sharing some of the feedback I collected from people before I made my purchase.

Thank you Pacman. I am going blind trying to decide between these two grills (Pro 575 and the RT-590). I was 100% sure I was going with the Pro 575, then I learned about the RT-590 and I was sold. More research shows the controllers are close to the same. I'm overthinking this, I'm sure.

@Caps_Shield

Have you owned a Traeger before? I am sure they have progressed since the dinosaur ages when I went through 2 of them to only find myself here. Without going into details, I would get a Pit Boss before I own another Traeger. That is going pretty low. @Pacman is on point with his feedback. At least you are doing your homework.

If you are truly unsure do some more diligence before deciding such as customer support & warranty. It might seem the Recteq is due for an overhaul with tech, keep in mind that it is not always good to create a new wheel when you have one that rolls smoothly. You have to come to your own decision what is important to you.

I would likely not recommend a Recteq to a friend or family but over Traeger, there is no way I'm going back. I can explain to friends and family why as since they know me and my background, they would understand why I don't recommend them. Here, it is hard to say that to just anyone. Dollar for Dollar.. go for the Recteq.

I did the research, bought the 590 2 years ago and have never looked back. Many great cooks, all with great results. The grill is insanely stable.

I really don't have any major issues with Traeger's. Mine worked fine, never had any issues, but Rec Teq's have a much better build quality.

But.....Like Sdynak.....I won't buy another Rec Teq. However, if you have to choose between the two, RT is the way to go.

I personally wouldn't buy a Traeger but the DC motor is actually pretty great innovation and something I think recteq should start looking at.

DC auger motor allows for more precise control(if your PID algorithm and temp probe can keep up) by allowing variable speed instead of binary on off operation of an AC motor. It also can allow for smarter control like detecting jams and reversing if needed.

I'm a fan of innovation and although it's not needed I think recteq could benefit from more innovation and being a leader on technology instead of a follower.

If I’m not mistaken, Green Mountain Grills (GMG) started using DC with their new models about 2 years ago. I would look at them only if you want another option to compare. I would still choose recteq, hands down.

My Stepson bought a Traeger Ironwood 850 year ago and had it replaced under warranty because it started to rust. Last time I was there he was smoking BB Ribs and I noticed that it was about 25 degrees more than the target temp. It also has a PID controller so there must be something about the Traeger design that prevents it from holding the target temp. He thinks Traeger is the best because he gets a 40% discount. The Traeger app is better than the RT app but I went with the 590 because of the build quality.

So in my research I found thought I figured out that Rec Teq had a better controller because it is a PID controller. That it vary +/- 5 degrees because of this. I was reading last night that new Traegers (Pro 575) not only have a PID controller but their new DS controller has a DC motor to make it stronger. Now I'm so confused. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? Any help is appreciated.
I own a Bulls-Eye, and love it. A 590 is on my Wish List now, for something other than a "Daily Grill", which is what the BT380 is. I think that you will be very happy with the 590. As far as Traeger goes, they are truly puzzling to me. They don't seem to have kept up with the competition, even though they invented the pellet grill. You'd think that the "inventor" would've had a PID controller before anyone else, but that was not the case. They also seem to be trying to be everyone's grill company, but how can you take a bunch of spare parts, and throw a grill "pack-up" for QVC, box some grills up for Costco/Sams, and then come up with a new grill aimed at people with $4000 of disposable income. That is a big moving target, to try and manage. Maybe it's just me...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back