Rec Tec Accessories

Brianong18

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Picking up a Stampede in about a week. Seeing which of the accessories Rec Tec sells for it is worth it. Definitely getting the sear grates. Pretty sure I'm getting the smoke vents and the folding shelf. I know plenty of people have made their own shelf but I'm lazy and not super handy. How is the grill mat? The floor one not the cooking one. I just got my deck redone and I don't want to mess it up. Does the mat stain at all? I looked at some slightly cheaper mats on Amazon and some of reviews say they leave stains. How is the cover? Would you recommend getting it or are there aftermarket options you prefer? Thanks all.

Last edited:
Hey Brian,
I just bought my Stampede around three weeks ago. I went with the Vents, Shelf and the cover. The cover, works well but I thought I could have been longer. Time will tell how it holds up with the weather. I know I was buying a new cover for my Weber every two years (not good). But I found a place online that makes custom covers and it has lasted 4 years and still looks good.

I decided not to buy the mat, so far 7-8 smokes, it has not made a mess on the deck.
Best Greg

Hey Brian,
I just bought my Stampede around three weeks ago. I went with the Vents, Shelf and the cover. The cover, works well but I thought I could have been longer. Time will tell how it holds up with the weather. I know I was buying a new cover for my Weber every two years (not good). But I found a place online that makes custom covers and it has lasted 4 years and still looks good.

I decided not to buy the mat, so far 7-8 smokes, it has not made a mess on the deck.
Best Greg

Around how much do the custom covers go for? Also, how well do vents fit? Some reviews say they fit well but some say they are a bit looser and had to put some sealant around the vents. I think the floor mat is more of a peace of mind thing for me. In case for some reason I forget to out back the grease bucket or I drip putting or pulling meat.

The custom covers cost about 20 percent more, but are more durable. The company I ordered from for my Weber was coversandall.com. I did look for a cover for the Rec Tec and it would cost around $100.00. The downside is that it does not allow for the shape, so I think you would be better with the one they sell made for the unit.

The vents fit fine, you just bend the tabs and you are done. You see a bit of smoke around the vents, but I really see no reason to seal around the vents.

One thing to consider is also buying some disposable liners for your bucket. This way instead of trying to clean the grease out of a full bucket you just remove the liner and pitch.

I just ordered some liners on Amazon, here are the ones I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZWB37PB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best Greg

My vents were pretty loose. Actually they are curved top to bottom, probably because they were originally designed for the 300 rather than the flat surface of the 590. I used some RTV to seal them as otherwise soot and grease can make a mess. Does not look great but does the job. They are necessary if you will be cooking in the rain and should really be standard.

A week or two ago I noticed my front shelf has sliced a hole in my cover. I think it was from the wind but I suppose it could have been from putting it on or taking it off. I know more than one person had wondered about that, well it can and did happen. The front shelf is also an inch or two shallower than I'd like. Putting stuff on there is often a bit precarious and it sits very low so I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I wouldn't get it again.

I bought a mat from a local hardware store. I've spilled lots of stuff on it and my composite deck stains fairly easily so I'm glad I got it. Also, I have had a slight leak from the left side that I'm waiting until spring to look into.

The cooking mats are awesome. I use those more often than I figured and if you fold a crease in them they can go right in the dishwasher.

The vents fit fine, you just bend the tabs and you are done. You see a bit of smoke around the vents, but I really see no reason to seal around the vents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZWB37PB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best Greg

Was thinking of doing the bucket liners. Thanks for the link.

My vents were pretty loose. Actually they are curved top to bottom, probably because they were originally designed for the 300 rather than the flat surface of the 590. I used some RTV to seal them as otherwise soot and grease can make a mess. Does not look great but does the job. They are necessary if you will be cooking in the rain and should really be standard.

A week or two ago I noticed my front shelf has sliced a hole in my cover. I think it was from the wind but I suppose it could have been from putting it on or taking it off. I know more than one person had wondered about that, well it can and did happen. The front shelf is also an inch or two shallower than I'd like. Putting stuff on there is often a bit precarious and it sits very low so I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I wouldn't get it again.

I bought a mat from a local hardware store. I've spilled lots of stuff on it and my composite deck stains fairly easily so I'm glad I got it. Also, I have had a slight leak from the left side that I'm waiting until spring to look into.

The cooking mats are awesome. I use those more often than I figured and if you fold a crease in them they can go right in the dishwasher.

So the Rec Tec shelf is not very useful and can slice up your cover. Good to know. At this point I might just pick up the grill grates, vents and cover and call it a day. I also completely missed the 29% off sale anyway.

Hey Brian,

Best Greg
I am a custom upholsterer so I am going to take my complimentary Weber smokeFire cover and modify it to fit my Bull! Always remember the Weber name faces the BACK! ?

Was thinking of doing the bucket liners. Thanks for the link.

So the Rec Tec shelf is not very useful and can slice up your cover. Good to know. At this point I might just pick up the grill grates, vents and cover and call it a day. I also completely missed the 29% off sale anyway.
You can make a better shelf yourself for a lot less anyway.

Yeah, the thing to remember with any shelf is that the body of the grill overhangs it. So while the RT-590 shelf is 10" deep, only 8" is usable. It's not quite wide enough to hold a lot of pans or cutting boards. And it's 26" off the ground. I usually just use the top shelf. The front one does come in handy to set sauce and stuff on I guess.

I can't help but wonder if they changed the sourcing on the cover. I did my own shelf mod before they brought out that stainless one and it's a little over 13" in depth and I have no issues with it snagging the cover. The cover is what I would consider a comfortable close fit, but not so close it is too tight. Again, that may have changed, but I'm mindful that there are people out there who have an amazing capacity to, um, have "problems" in their life. Just sayin'...…...if 80 or 90% of the people out there are doin' fine, the minority reports may not be all that representative of reality. BTW. if some are wondering why RT made the 590 shelf that shallow it was done to clear the drop to the comp cart.

@Brian Vallotton , where were you when I needed you? :D Every time I needed to find a good upholsterer for a car I'd built or acquired I hated the vetting process and wondering about the outcome. A lot of unreliable dudes in that biz...……......…...

Last edited:
I have the RT700 with RT front shelf and RT cover and it is snug, but I have had no issues with the shelf brackets damaging the cover. SO FAR,,,

Last edited:
My cover is snug but not particularly tight. And I don't think the brackets even stick out further than the barrel. The problem are their triangular sheetmetal edges which you can see below.

RT-SPSHF.03.jpg

I would think that's going to eventually wear through most covers that are out in the wind. It's just not a very well designed shelf. It will do the job, mostly, but I don't feel it's worth it.

I can't help but wonder if they changed the sourcing on the cover. I did my own shelf mod before they brought out that stainless one and it's a little over 13" in depth and I have no issues with it snagging the cover. The cover is what I would consider a comfortable close fit, but not so close it is too tight. Again, that may have changed, but I'm mindful that there are people out there who have an amazing capacity to, um, have "problems" in their life. Just sayin'...…...if 80 or 90% of the people out there are doin' fine, the minority reports may not be all that representative of reality. BTW. if some are wondering why RT made the 590 shelf that shallow it was done to clear the drop to the comp cart.

@Brian Vallotton , where were you when I needed you? :D Every time I needed to find a good upholsterer for a car I'd built or acquired I hated the vetting process and wondering about the outcome. A lot of unreliable dudes in that biz...……......…...
Yes, with my 40 years experience, I have eventually caught on... hehe. It is true, like with many of the trades out there that the good guys are hard to find. I have a 3 word job application: DO YOU CARE? That is the bottom line! God bless YOU!

I got the vent covers, grill cover, folding shelf, grill grates and the griddle when I got my Stampede. I absolutely love every one of them and they are all good quality! I also just ordered the small interior shelf and it will be here Monday! Can't wait!

The custom covers cost about 20 percent more, but are more durable. The company I ordered from for my Weber was coversandall.com. I did look for a cover for the Rec Tec and it would cost around $100.00. The downside is that it does not allow for the shape, so I think you would be better with the one they sell made for the unit.

One thing to consider is also buying some disposable liners for your bucket. This way instead of trying to clean the grease out of a full bucket you just remove the liner and pitch.

Best Greg
Greg, I did the Mason Jar trick that I think I seen on one of their videos. Seems to work well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back