Stampede Rec Tec 590 VS Daniel Boone GMG

Golfsnc

Hi All,

Appreciate all tips....

I'm new to pellet smoking, and want to start off on the right leg. I've got my grills down to the REC TEC 590 to the GMG Daniel Boone. I like both of them, both seem durable, pid controller, easy to use.

I've gotten it down to:
gmg is less expensive, window viewer, and seems to have a better app.
Rec Tect more expensive, thicker steel, better customer service.

Appreciate any tips to make my final decision...
thanks

I considered the DB at one time. After discovering RecTec, and seeing the stainless steel build, 6 yr warranty and unequaled customer service, all doubt was gone. I only live an hour away from them, so I paid them a visit to see what the hype was all about. Seeing them in person made it a no brainer. Truly a set it and forget it. Looking at reviews from both companies, you're hard pressed to find anyone with much complaint about RecTec. GMG complaints are everywhere. Personally, I couldn't be happier! Just my 2 cents. Of course you do get what you pay for.

Stainless steel grates rule. I have had good luck in previous lives with porcelain grates, which I believe the GMG has.

Ditto Blues above. RT is the gold standard in my book. Also the window viewer is a non-starter for me. The smoke will fog it over and make it useless. You will have to clean it after each cook. The clincher for me was the 30 day money back guarantee. Don't like it, you are not stuck with it. I have had mine for nearly a year and could not be happier.

It could also depend on what kind of outdoor cook you think you'll be over time. If you're the type to play with something for awhile, then get restless/inquisitive about any alternatives, then price might be a more important factor over longevity/build quality. That said, the 590 would be the value (if you understand the difference from price alone) purchase. If you hang around some general bbq sites, as opposed to brand identified, the entire GMG line has little respect for quality and continued performance. Might be why there always seems to be quite a few on the used ads in FB Marketplace and Craigs List.

I had the GMG Daniel Boone. It was a good grill but it doesn’t compare to the Rec Tec. The GMG had issues holding temp consistently it would have huge swings which is not good. After 2 controllers and numerous calls to there customer service I went with Rec Tec and haven’t looked back. Good luck with your decision.

I had the GMG Daniel Boone and all I can say is it was a factory of pain...in every way possible. Temperature swings, rusted (inside and out) almost immediately, had multiple occurrences on long smokes where the auger would feed too many pellets and it would start a fire in the bottom of the pit. The only thing that was worse than the performance of the Daniel Boone was the GMG customer service. I’ll give you one example, it took over 7 months to resolve an issue with the controller. I sent picture after picture of 100 degree temperature swings to them with nothing but excuses on the other end. The amount of phone calls and emails to get a resolution would make your head spin. When I got my Rec Tec I had a slight controller issue and they sent me a new one no questions asked after a 5 minute phone call. I know I could have had a Lemon with the GMG and many people have owned them with good results, but my experience was pretty bad. I ended up selling it after less than 2 years of ownership because I was sick of the constant issues.

Attachments

• 340319DA-521F-43B2-9CEF-E74EFC555A56.jpeg
    340319DA-521F-43B2-9CEF-E74EFC555A56.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
  • C87D6E6A-1348-45F0-B8E4-984E0D8543D9.jpeg
    C87D6E6A-1348-45F0-B8E4-984E0D8543D9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Hi All,

Appreciate all tips....

I'm new to pellet smoking, and want to start off on the right leg. I've got my grills down to the REC TEC 590 to the GMG Daniel Boone. I like both of them, both seem durable, pid controller, easy to use.

I've gotten it down to:
gmg is less expensive, window viewer, and seems to have a better app.
Rec Tect more expensive, thicker steel, better customer service.

Appreciate any tips to make my final decision...
thanks
I think the forum has spoken! Come join the Rec Tec family. ??

So your asking a Rec Tec forum on brands, of course this forum is going to be bias to RT. that said, I’m 2 weeks into my 700 and love it. Own a couple of Big Green Eggs and also love them but after doing a 20 hour smoke on a few pork butts, I’m sold on the ease of use and smoke quality. Cant give you any comparison on brands as this is my first pellet grill but I can say that I’ve sent a few emails before and after the sale that were answered within hours. the build quality is pretty good and the 6 year warranty for my model is amazing.

Maybe there’s better in this price range but I didn’t find it in my research. I actually ordered the camp chef woodwind WIFI 36 and had a change of heart after a couple days. I paid a couple hundred more over the Camp Chef but I feel I got a better grill/smoker... The stainless steel really is what sold me. Others use mild steel for the heat deflector and drip tray, that will be a rust bucket after a week of use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back