Really slow getting up to temp

Tombo

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Over the last 5 or 6 cooks my RT700 has been really slow getting up to my set temp. On these cooks it has taken over 30 mins to get to temp. Tonight it took 45 min. to get up to 360. Any suggestions as to why?

Are there pellets in the fire box before you start the grill?

Mine takes longer in the cold, but I'm not in Texas.

What's outside temp? Mine always takes a while if it's covered in snow/ice and it's 30 degrees out.

I've seen improvement after vacuuming out the fire pot as well.

Using Kingsford pellets.
Yes pellets in the fire pot.
Live in the Houston, Tx area. No show here. It was about 50 yesterday
I clean the fire pot every 2 or 3 cooks

So not sure what the issue is.

Over the last 5 or 6 cooks my RT700 has been really slow getting up to my set temp. On these cooks it has taken over 30 mins to get to temp. Tonight it took 45 min. to get up to 360. Any suggestions as to why?
1) Make sure auger isn't stalling and the grill is relighting.
2) Verify that "blower" fan isn't slipping on shaft.
3) Check holes in firepot

i will clean out the hopper too but I had added a new bag before this last cook.

Low airflow? I put a whole set of Grill Grates on and it would not get over 300 until I removed half.

1) Make sure auger isn't stalling and the grill is relighting.
2) Verify that "blower" fan isn't slipping on shaft.
3) Check holes in firepot
Hey Chris,
How are you making sure the auger is not stalling? I have issues getting up to the higher temps as well.

Remove some of the pellets so you can see but more importantly, listen.

Remove some of the pellets so you can see but more importantly, listen.
I was under the impression that the auger is not always moving to start with based on the call for heat. Are you saying it is always moving? Sorry, I am new to pellet smokers so just trying to understand.

I was under the impression that the auger is not always moving to start with based on the call for heat. Are you saying it is always moving? Sorry, I am new to pellet smokers so just trying to understand.
It doesn't turn all the time.

I've been playing around with my 700 trying to get to ~500° for pizzas (based on what we cook them at on our BGE). After 60 minutes it stalled mid 400. RT said clean ash in grill and try different pellets (40° degrees here). I'm looking at trying different pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back