Rapid Heat Gain

Bif Hunkly

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm working on my first Pork Butt (snicker) and it was time to wrap. Been cooking at 270 and my pellet rate was 6.5%. Temp had been holding +/-1 or 2 degrees for about 8 hours.

I opened the smoker, took grabbed the pork butt (snicker) and wrapped it in two layers of aluminum foil. I put it back in the grill and came inside. About 5 minutes after putting it back on, I was getting overheating alerts on my phone. It was at 300 and seemed to be holding there.

A few days ago, I had put the lava rock stuff around the inside of door of the grill and the pellet box, so I thought maybe I need to lower my feed rate. But still thought it was weird that it would shoot up like that almost immediately after slapping the pork butt (snicker) back on there.

After lowering it to 4.5, the temp decreased and couldn't seem to get back to 270. I tried 5.5, and then put it back to 6.5 and it seems to be happy holding at 270 again.

So, I guess it had something to do with the aluminum foil screwing up the sensor or something?

When you opened the lid to wrap your the pork butt the RTD will see the temperature drop and then send that information to the controller about the temperature drop, next the auger will start adding pellets to try to maintain set temperature, after the lid is closed all those pellets that were added to the fire pot have to burn off and will make the grills temperature overshoot for awhile, this is totally normal.

When you opened the lid to wrap your the pork butt the RTD will see the temperature drop and then send that information to the controller about the temperature drop, next the auger will start adding pellets to try to maintain set temperature, after the lid is closed all those pellets that were added to the fire pot have to burn off and will make the grills temperature overshoot for awhile, this is totally normal.
This.

There's also no need to change the feed rate unless you're unable to maintain a low temp or getting flameout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back