quick review

dr16049

So. I am new to pellet grills never eaten off or used one. So I got the 590. Here is what i have thought so far about a month and a half in.
I was on the edge for the 700 but went 590. Glad i did plenty big enough for me. Set up was simple for me everything worked, I had no problems at all.
found out that on the burn in if you put way to many pellets in the pot it can cause an explosion when it lights so thats a no no. Wi fi worked fine I had no issues like ive read about in other threads. No warping of the interior pan like others and my lid fit fine. I had none of the issues i had read about.
cooking: since im new and was never a great griller i was hoping this would help me. It has.
first cook was a tri tip worked out fine, wasnt quite as tender as i wouldve thought, I will try injecting it next time. My sear and oven tri tip was as good.
chicken breasts were next, boneless skinless. thought id try it. WOW. they were the best ever. Low smoke for a bit then seared them off. excellent.
Baby backs. hmm well I read and read and read. I did the 321 roughly. Didnt spritz them. At the wrap i put them in a slight bath of apple juice and some things.
the 2 hour wrap I should have gone longer I think. When unwrapped for the final hour with sauce, i didnt think they were done, so I started reading. Saw the bend test, mine were nowhere near that... so the last houre went to almost 3. They never bent like they should have. they ended up good, oversauced though.
never pulled back like they should have but were tender, not fall off bone but bite tender. they were a 7 gotta make some changes.
Thick pork chops were next and holy cow were they good. Low smoke for about 45min then seared them. The best ive ever made. (seasoned with just salt pepper and some worchester about 2 hours before cook)yum.
Im just pulling stuff i have out and cooking it to try it, today i will use a spiral cut ham. i read about someone putting bacon in a pan over it to drip on it but cant find the thread so i guess i may wing it. wish me luck.

Overall: Very glad i bought this grill. Not only has it made grilling easy for me, everything comes out way better. No problems at all with the grill
its been a great purchase and would recomend it. so far so good.

So. I am new to pellet grills never eaten off or used one. So I got the 590. Here is what i have thought so far about a month and a half in.
I was on the edge for the 700 but went 590. Glad i did plenty big enough for me. Set up was simple for me everything worked, I had no problems at all.
found out that on the burn in if you put way to many pellets in the pot it can cause an explosion when it lights so thats a no no. Wi fi worked fine I had no issues like ive read about in other threads. No warping of the interior pan like others and my lid fit fine. I had none of the issues i had read about.
cooking: since im new and was never a great griller i was hoping this would help me. It has.
first cook was a tri tip worked out fine, wasnt quite as tender as i wouldve thought, I will try injecting it next time. My sear and oven tri tip was as good.
chicken breasts were next, boneless skinless. thought id try it. WOW. they were the best ever. Low smoke for a bit then seared them off. excellent.
Baby backs. hmm well I read and read and read. I did the 321 roughly. Didnt spritz them. At the wrap i put them in a slight bath of apple juice and some things.
the 2 hour wrap I should have gone longer I think. When unwrapped for the final hour with sauce, i didnt think they were done, so I started reading. Saw the bend test, mine were nowhere near that... so the last houre went to almost 3. They never bent like they should have. they ended up good, oversauced though.
never pulled back like they should have but were tender, not fall off bone but bite tender. they were a 7 gotta make some changes.
Thick pork chops were next and holy cow were they good. Low smoke for about 45min then seared them. The best ive ever made. (seasoned with just salt pepper and some worchester about 2 hours before cook)yum.
Im just pulling stuff i have out and cooking it to try it, today i will use a spiral cut ham. i read about someone putting bacon in a pan over it to drip on it but cant find the thread so i guess i may wing it. wish me luck.

Overall: Very glad i bought this grill. Not only has it made grilling easy for me, everything comes out way better. No problems at all with the grill
its been a great purchase and would recomend it. so far so good.
Great post and with time you will get your cooks perfect, every grill and cooking method is a little different. Now if I can repeat some of the home run cooks I've had, well I'm still working on this.

Great post and with time you will get your cooks perfect, every grill and cooking method is a little different. Now if I can repeat some of the home run cooks I've had, well I'm still working on this.
I’m working on perfect pizza crust. Tonight will be pizza, third night in a row. Last 2 times great, just want a touch more crisp. It’s all fun til the dough runs out! ??

I’m working on perfect pizza crust. Tonight will be pizza, third night in a row. Last 2 times great, just want a touch more crisp. It’s all fun til the dough runs out! ??
Pizza is one of those cooks that isn't a set it and forget it but I've had plenty of crispy crusts doing it this way.☹

Last edited:
Curious, for the chicken breasts did you do a brine of any sort? Or just throw them on with a rub? I’ve had my 590 for a lil over a month and haven’t done chicken yet and I have a couple breasts that need to get used so was thinking tonight would be good as time as any. I know a wet brine would help keep it moist but wondering if anyone has just thrown them on without.

Curious, for the chicken breasts did you do a brine of any sort? Or just throw them on with a rub? I’ve had my 590 for a lil over a month and haven’t done chicken yet and I have a couple breasts that need to get used so was thinking tonight would be good as time as any. I know a wet brine would help keep it moist but wondering if anyone has just thrown them on without.
I've tossed plenty of chicken on the Bull, never brined but it needs to be cooked at a higher temperature to not have the skin come out rubbery.

I've tossed plenty of chicken on the Bull, never brined but it needs to be cooked at a higher temperature to not have the skin come out rubbery.

These are skinless, so don’t think there would be a concern for rubbery texture. Unless it kind of forms one on its own. Thinking I’ll just throw them on with a rub and see what happens.

I did some skinless breasts at 250, don't know how long the were on but skin was rubbery and inside was dry. I think next time I will do 250 for about 30 min then crank it up to 350.

These are skinless, so don’t think there would be a concern for rubbery texture. Unless it kind of forms one on its own. Thinking I’ll just throw them on with a rub and see what happens.
Poultry needs to be cooked at a higher temperatures for it to come out not rubbery and chewy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back