Quick question on cooking at altitude

kenglishpc

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Are there adjustments to feed rate or other measurements that might need to be made to compensate for altitude? I'm at 6700' here in Colorado.

If you search the forum I remember a post on altitude and boiling point temps etc.... For differences in elevation. I agree to test it first, but I think you might need some adjustment. Have to see. Adjustment is easy though no worries.

Thanks guys. I know water boils at around 199* here. Which also reminds me, do any of you put water containers on inside the cooking chamber for ambient moisture? My propane cabinet smoker had a water trough right above the wood box (GOSM). The water worked as a thermal capacitor and moisture generator.

You're gonna find this is a totally different style of smoking/cooking... Water pans are not needed. But to each his own. A good time to search the forum for info and questions you have while you wait for it.

Last edited:
Oh, believe me, I've been reading and watching (youtube) everything I can find. My search on 'altitude' brought back 1 post (Wyoming related) with no information. My biggest concern right now is actually finding meat. May have to hit up some of the ranchers around me.

I live at 7,200 feet (Colorado) and saw this thread before I bought my RT-700. Sadly nobody answered the question above. I took the plunge and bought a Bull.

It works great.

I did an initial burn in and then took it to 500 degrees no problem. My first cook was a small brisket. 13 hours at 225. It came out awesome.

The only thing I did to the RT-700 was seal the lid following directions on this forum.

Four days ago, I talked my wife into baking a lasagna on it - in an old pan. An hour at 350, covered in foil. She said the RT-700 did a better job than her oven. And the heat stayed outside...

Last edited:
I haven't received it yet (Next Monday........). But was just wondering. I'm out in Elbert county, about 60 miles southeast of Denver.

Enjoying the smoker?

I’m in Denver and I’m placing my order for a 700 next week (finally convinced the wife)!

Curious How long it took for the smoker to arrive to you from placing the order.

also, looking forward to hear if anyone makes “altitude” adjustments!

I am at 3500 ft and have not had any problems with the Bull. I did take the elevation in account when calibrating my ink bird thermometer (I used boiling water instead of ice). I live in the desert so the outdoor temps are extreme. Outdoor temps have been 100+/- all summer so I did have to adjust the feed rate (which has kept my temps spot on). I am sure I will have to adjust the feed rate again this fall/winter when it gets much colder outside.

Last edited:
I am at 3500 ft and have not had any problems with the Bull. I did take the elevation in account when calibrating my ink bird thermometer. I live in the desert so the outdoor temps are extreme. Outdoor temps have been 100+/- all summer so I did have to adjust the feed rate (which has kept my temps spot on). I am sure I will have to adjust the feed rate again this fall/winter when it gets much colder outside.
What did you set your feed rate too?

I set my feed rate at 20. Have not had a single problem or flame out with that setting, though you might want to try 25 or 30 1st and see how that works. I am still using the Rec Tec Pellets that I bought with the grill. Temps stay spot on even when it is 110 outside. Just play around with it, Rec Tec has made it very easy.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone at altitude is using water baths?

Ive read multiple Other posts about this topic in this forum, but I’m specifically asking here since (yes, it’s an assumption) we are living with less humidity than the majority of the USA.

Enjoying the smoker?

I’m in Denver and I’m placing my order for a 700 next week (finally convinced the wife)!

Curious How long it took for the smoker to arrive to you from placing the order.

also, looking forward to hear if anyone makes “altitude” adjustments!

Hi Guys.

Sorry for the tardiness. I've had some medical issues and been away from the computer for a couple weeks. All better now (gallbladder removed), and just saw this. @SonnyK, I purchased off Amazon and it took a little over a week. I've made about 6 smokes, and a couple of grilling tries. All turned out pretty well. I've made zero electronics mods other than bending the pit probe away from the outer wall just a touch, that seemed to stabilize the pit temp fluctuations I was seeing. I also sealed the lids with felt as mentioned in other threads. This thing is ROCK SOLID! I placed a couple accessory orders (shelf, and internal shelf) and bought some traeger apple pellets to mix with the default blend. I just don't think I could ask more out of a smoker. Super Happy.

Just curious if anyone at altitude is using water baths?

Ive read multiple Other posts about this topic in this forum, but I’m specifically asking here since (yes, it’s an assumption) we are living with less humidity than the majority of the USA.
I've started adding a stainless tub of water on grates just to experiment. To be honest, I've not seen much difference. We have an ambient humidity of about 8 percent during the days out here, and generally see it get in the low 40's as measured by my Davis Vantage Pro 2. I"ve done some really long smokes (18-22 hours), and I only spritz about 4 times during that time. The last pork shoulder I did, I never even opened the lid till it was done (without water bath). Came out awesome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back