Question for those with Thermoworks Signal

Firebug

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello!

Searched but didn’t find my exact question.

I was set on ordering a Thermoworks Smoke x4 to add to my original first Gen Smoke.

However with the current sale the Signal is only $33 more. Only thing that worries me is the internal battery. The AA on the Smoke runs forever. The Signal needs to charge every time and is good for 16 hours. I have had large briskets that push that time frame.

Also, those that have had the Signals for a while have you noticed the internal battery capacity decreasing?

Is the graphing and other app features worth dealing with the internal battery over the simplicity of the Smoke x4?

Thank you!

I just bought a Signals and haven’t had time to use it yet. The decision on whether to buy it or the Smoke X4 was a hard one. There are offsetting pros and cons for both. Had the Smoke X4 been on sale at the time (it wasn’t then, but is now), the decision would have been even harder.

From my research, one of the primary differences is the internet connectivity of the Signals vs the 915 MHz radio frequency connection of the Smoke X4. If you need the capability to monitor temps over distances greater than a mile or so, then the internet connection is it. Otherwise, the Smoke X4 will do pretty much what the Signals will do.

As you point out the replaceable AA battery is a nice convenience. That said, you need to have 120VAC to power the grill, so should have a way to plug in the Signals AC adapter/charger anyway.

At this point, I am happy with my Signals purchase. If I had to do it all over again, I’d probably still go with the Signals. Being connected to the internet allows me to run to town (5 miles) and still keep an eye on what I’m cooking. YMMV

If I remember correctly the Signals allows changing the temp on the phone app. Smoke does no. If that Matters.
Is that if you are using the Billows fan? I do have a few pits I thought about trying a setup like the Billows on.

Is the graphing and other app features worth dealing with the internal battery over the simplicity of the Smoke x4?
I say yes, I have the 1250 and I just keep it plugged in. On any grill you have to have power to run them so just plug it into that power source. The graphing history is great.

I say yes, I have the 1250 and I just keep it plugged in. On any grill you have to have power to run them so just plug it into that power source. The graphing history is great.
Yeah the more I think about it the more I’m leaning towards the Signal. Sounds like the app has been greatly improved too!

Hello!

Searched but didn’t find my exact question.

I was set on ordering a Thermoworks Smoke x4 to add to my original first Gen Smoke.

However with the current sale the Signal is only $33 more. Only thing that worries me is the internal battery. The AA on the Smoke runs forever. The Signal needs to charge every time and is good for 16 hours. I have had large briskets that push that time frame.

Also, those that have had the Signals for a while have you noticed the internal battery capacity decreasing?

Thank you!
I actually had my Signals go for 20 hours without recharging. I’ve not yet tested it to see how long it can go, though. But if I’m not able to pay attention to it the whole time, I plug it into an outdoor power strip before the battery runs out.
I’ve only had it for 7 months, so I can’t speak to the battery’s longevity yet.

I really like the app functions with the unit, too. Very user friendly 😀.

Last edited:
The internal battery does seem to hold up well. I have gotten a low battery alert on long cooks when I forgot to charge before cooking. I also have the 1250 so now if I'm doing an overnight or other long cook, I plug the Signals in for piece of mind.

I really like that I can track temperatures from anywhere on my phone and the notifications/alarms are very reliable (and be adjusted remotely on the phone app).

You can either use it on battery, or just plug it in. You already have to have an outlet nearby for your grill, so........not a big deal to me.

Some don't like the app, but I do. It's lightyears beyond the RT app.

Thank you all for your experience and input!! I honestly don't think I could go wrong either way. I was set on the Smoke x4 but am heavily considering the Signals now.

Thank you all for your experience and input!! I honestly don't think I could go wrong either way. I was set on the Smoke x4 but am heavily considering the Signals now.
Both are great units. Do your research, compare features and decide if the extras the Signals offers are something you'd use or want.

I got in on the sale, and had the 10% off offer on top of that, so I went big.

I have had a Signals for a while and it is reliable. The battery seems to last a long time and I haven't seen any degradation yet. I have however had two of the probes go bad. This may have been induced by my cleaning practices so probably no blame should be directed toward Thermoworks.

Solid unit, works as advertised. Would purchase it again.

Well, maybe I’ll regret not getting the Signals but ordered the Smoke x4 this morning. $144 shipped was hard to pass up.

I live in the Rocky Mountains about 30 min from a town so don’t really leave when BBQ’n. And internet is spotty here anyway. I would have liked the graphing but ultimately just need simple reliability and I think that is where the Smoke X excels.

Thanks everyone again for the feedback!

Last edited:
Well, maybe I’ll regret not getting the Signals but ordered the Smoke x4 this morning. $144 shipped was hard to pass up.

I live in the Rocky Mountains about 30 min from a town so don’t really leave when BBQ’n. And internet is spotty here anyway. I would have liked the graphing but ultimately just need simple reliability and I think that is where the Smoke X excels.

Thanks everyone again for the feedback!
I don’t think you will regret ordering the Smoke X4; it’s a great unit and will certainly meet your stated needs. Congratulations on your choice of a excellent product.

Have both & they both serve a purpose…
Signals is the most used though, battery has been fine when needed. It is plugged in usually when it’s used.
We’ll over a 11/2 yrs now & no complaints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back