Question about Smoking at High Temps

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Hello,
I'm still very new, having received my RT-590 early March this year. So far I have been pretty active on it, smoking several briskets, a pastrami, pork butts, and beef jerky. I'm proud to say that I have been very happy so far with the outcome of all of the meats I've smoked so far. I love cooking and experimenting so for me this is just a really fun, new way to go about it. I've spent the last month watching videos, and reading about the different techniques out there. I'm also a chef so I understand the science behind the cooking which I think helps.

Last week I cooked a couple of pork butts. For one, I followed Aaron Franklin's recipe and the other I used a mustard slather and a rub. Both cooked at 275 since that is what Franklin recommends. At 275, there is little if any smoke. I freaked out a bit at first thinking there was something wrong with the smoker. What I found out is that there is just little if any smoke (to the eyes) at that temp. The Franklin butt was fantastic, moist, great bark, and the fat rendered beautifully. And it did have a smoke flavor. The other butt with the slather, was not as good in my opinion. And the bark was not as nice as the Franklin butt and minimal smoke flavor.

I'm making a brisket this morning and was going to set the temp to 275 again as I am following Franklin's recipe (salt & pepper only and a temp of 275) since I was so happy with the pork butt. But I got to thinking that it might be too high for a pellet grill in combination with an extremely tough and lean piece of meat. Also, seeing smoke is kind of comforting. So I lowered it to 240 which is my usual temp for brisket and the smoke is flowing nicely.

Sorry for the long build up to my question. Do meats get adequate smoke at higher temps even though I don't see any smoke? And is 275 too high to cook a brisket until it reaches about 160 when I will wrap it and let it go to about 206? I am thinking that a wood smoker would smoke at any temp so maybe following the suggested 275 would not have been the way to go.

Thank you in advance for any help with this and I am so happy to have found a forum of people of all skills out there to help people new like me.

Beth

I'm not sure on the smoke flavor on pellets grills, as the pellet is new to me. Im use to stick burners. But I have heard that using the extreme smoke function before turning the temps up truly makes a difference, im assuming that you had already done this?

I usually do brisket @ 225. 275 will be fine and for a long smoke like a brisket it will still get a lot of smoke.
Some use a smoke tube for more smoke flavor.
Some will start at 180 for a few hours to get more smoke.
Try it at 275 and at least that will give you a baseline for future cooks.

Are you referring to the feed rate of the pellets? Mine is set at 30 and has been for all the meats I have smoked.

I usually do brisket @ 225. 275 will be fine and for a long smoke like a brisket it will still get a lot of smoke.
Some use a smoke tube for more smoke flavor.
Some will start at 180 for a few hours to get more smoke.
Try it at 275 and at least that will give you a baseline for future cooks.
So not seeing smoke is okay? I did start it at 240 because I was worried about the physical smoke factor. Do you think it's okay to turn it up to 275 now? It's been on almost 3 hours and internal temp of meat is 135

No I as referring to temp.
Sure turn it up. Final temp of the meat can be different just with different briskets. When a probe goes in like butter than its done. 193-205ish.
I also have found that resting for a hour or two wrapped in foil then into a cooler covered with towels can make a big difference in juiciness. If you have the time, if not just let rest for 20 minutes or so before carving.

Are you referring to the feed rate of the pellets? Mine is set at 30 and has been for all the meats I have smoked.
I too use the 3.0 feed rate. I think factory setting is 6. Also I believe that it only effects LO setting. So I keep the feed rate low to keep the lowest temp possible which is 180. The feed rate
set at 6 can also keep it at 180 but later in the summer when outside temps go above 80 it would probably make more of a difference.

No I as referring to temp.
Sure turn it up. Final temp of the meat can be different just with different briskets. When a probe goes in like butter than its done. 193-205ish.
I also have found that resting for a hour or two wrapped in foil then into a cooler covered with towels can make a big difference in juiciness. If you have the time, if not just let rest for 20 minutes or so before carving.
Thank you!!

Yes @BethV ...these pellet smoker are more mild in the smoke flavors. I'm one that uses a smoke tube especially over 250° .even when you don't see the smoke at higher temps it's smoking.(it's wood fueled)..but not as much as extreme smoke 180° if it hasn't been said these RecTec work like a Convection Oven more than a smoker at high temps. I've even mixed wood chips in with my pellets sometimes in the smoke tube. Another option is The Heavy D" heat shield that actually holds some wood in it. There's posts on it here.
Just keep experimenting on getting your level of smoke. It's worth it.

Hello,
I'm still very new, having received my RT-590 early March this year. So far I have been pretty active on it, smoking several briskets, a pastrami, pork butts, and beef jerky. I'm proud to say that I have been very happy so far with the outcome of all of the meats I've smoked so far. I love cooking and experimenting so for me this is just a really fun, new way to go about it. I've spent the last month watching videos, and reading about the different techniques out there. I'm also a chef so I understand the science behind the cooking which I think helps.

Last week I cooked a couple of pork butts. For one, I followed Aaron Franklin's recipe and the other I used a mustard slather and a rub. Both cooked at 275 since that is what Franklin recommends. At 275, there is little if any smoke. I freaked out a bit at first thinking there was something wrong with the smoker. What I found out is that there is just little if any smoke (to the eyes) at that temp. The Franklin butt was fantastic, moist, great bark, and the fat rendered beautifully. And it did have a smoke flavor. The other butt with the slather, was not as good in my opinion. And the bark was not as nice as the Franklin butt and minimal smoke flavor.

I'm making a brisket this morning and was going to set the temp to 275 again as I am following Franklin's recipe (salt & pepper only and a temp of 275) since I was so happy with the pork butt. But I got to thinking that it might be too high for a pellet grill in combination with an extremely tough and lean piece of meat. Also, seeing smoke is kind of comforting. So I lowered it to 240 which is my usual temp for brisket and the smoke is flowing nicely.

Sorry for the long build up to my question. Do meats get adequate smoke at higher temps even though I don't see any smoke? And is 275 too high to cook a brisket until it reaches about 160 when I will wrap it and let it go to about 206? I am thinking that a wood smoker would smoke at any temp so maybe following the suggested 275 would not have been the way to go.

Thank you in advance for any help with this and I am so happy to have found a forum of people of all skills out there to help people new like me.

Beth
Definitely less smoke flavor in a pellet smoker. I’ve been a stick burner guy for 30 years. Now with the pellet smoker I use a pellet tube to add more smoke. Low temps produce more smoke so i usually put meat on early and let smoke at 180 degrees for an hour or more. Then to higher temps. It makes more smoke flavor in the final product. Remember to have fun. ?

Thank you!!
Yes @BethV ...these pellet smoker are more mild in the smoke flavors. I'm one that uses a smoke tube especially over 250° .even when you don't see the smoke at higher temps it's smoking.(it's wood fueled)..but not as much as extreme smoke 180° if it hasn't been said these RecTec work like a Convection Oven more than a smoker at high temps. I've even mixed wood chips in with my pellets sometimes in the smoke tube. Another option is The Heavy D" heat shield that actually holds some wood in it. There's posts on it here.
Just keep experimenting on getting your level of smoke. It's worth it.
Definitely less smoke flavor in a pellet smoker. I’ve been a stick burner guy for 30 years. Now with the pellet smoker I use a pellet tube to add more smoke. Low temps produce more smoke so i usually put meat on early and let smoke at 180 degrees for an hour or more. Then to higher temps. It makes more smoke flavor in the final product. Remember to have fun. ?
Definitely having fun and love experimenting with different techniques. I appreciate your response! Thank you!

I have owned all kinds of smokers over the years. Finally bought the Stampede in Feb, it replaced my smoker and my grill.
So far I have done 3 briskets in the smoker, my test is 265 degrees and there is plenty of smoke flavor in the end result.
Best Greg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back