Question About Internal Heat Sensor on the RT-700

JamesB

I am wondering if I should clean the internal heat sensor on my RT-700 periodically, because I use it frequently and it seems that “gunk” is accumulating on it. Will the adversely effect accuracy?

I have not found the need to clean the internal sensor. If it would appear to be getting a thick coating on it, I would wipe it off.

That said, I primarily use the ThermoWorks Signals unit and probes to monitor both chamber and meat temperature. Those probes do get routinely cleaned after each cook. The TW is far more accurate that the RT probes IME. YMMV

i do wipe mine of probably every other month. also it will be a real eye opener if you run a second probe in the cook chamber to monitor temps. she isn’t as stable as the grill claims

I periodically clean the probe just to keep the build up from getting to thick. The RT manual didn’t specify any maintenance schedule. I also have the Signals, InkBird and other external probes, and my temps are pretty stable in my Gen 1 RT700. I can see the drop and spikes each time I open it but the recovery is fast and I don’t see a lot of variation and I do 16 hours cooks a couple of times a month. Interestingly, I asked RT’s Techs about the differences in the measured temperatures vs. the built in probes and they told me their probe does not necessarily measure the “true” temperature. They said it is calibrated to “anticipate” changes in temperatures to properly accommodate for their PID If you are seeing big swings in your temps, you may need to change your feed rate.

I took a good analog oven gauge and adjusted the offset on my 590, now I know it is quite accurate once I get to the selected temp as it matches the gauge now. :)

I have not found the need to clean the internal sensor. If it would appear to be getting a thick coating on it, I would wipe it off.

That said, I primarily use the ThermoWorks Signals unit and probes to monitor both chamber and meat temperature. Those probes do get routinely cleaned after each cook. The TW is far more accurate that the RT probes IME. YMMV
Where do you place the chamber probe? In the middle or at the end near the internal sensor?

Where do you place the chamber probe? In the middle or at the end near the internal sensor?
I usually run two, one on each side of the grate, on the center line of the grate. I also have it raised up about two inches off the grate which I believe it makes it more accurate than being at grate level.

I also have it raised up about two inches off the grate which I believe it makes it more accurate than being at grate level.
Yes, I believe you are right. I use a clip which raises the probe about an inch above the grate.

I periodically clean the probe just to keep the build up from getting to thick. The RT manual didn’t specify any maintenance schedule. I also have the Signals, InkBird and other external probes, and my temps are pretty stable in my Gen 1 RT700. I can see the drop and spikes each time I open it but the recovery is fast and I don’t see a lot of variation and I do 16 hours cooks a couple of times a month. Interestingly, I asked RT’s Techs about the differences in the measured temperatures vs. the built in probes and they told me their probe does not necessarily measure the “true” temperature. They said it is calibrated to “anticipate” changes in temperatures to properly accommodate for their PID If you are seeing big swings in your temps, you may need to change your feed rate.
I hate to sound stupid (because it happens so frequently these days….), but what’s PID?

I hate to sound stupid (because it happens so frequently these days….), but what’s PID?
It stands for "proportional–integral–derivative" controller. It is what controls the smoker by determining what the set temperature is vs. the actual temperature and then knows when to feed pellets, controls the fan etc. Underneath the covers it is a program that is running to keep the grill temperature at the dialed in setting. It also runs the shutdown sequence.

I had an error code (ER2) I believe. I have a 700. A little research showed me that my rtd was dirty. Sure enough after I cleaned the probe with some grill cleaner the code went away. Has no one ever gotten that code here?

ER2 is failure to light. A clean probe is a happy probe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back