Stampede Question about front shelf mod.

Dan99

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi All My folding shelf brackets have arrived. What is the process for installing the brackets and shelf. What comes first attach the brackets to the smoker, or the shelf to the brackets first.
Thanks Dan
PS Measurements for a shelf?

I also ordered folding shelf brackets from Amazon (see below - $28). Scheduled to arrive today. I have the RT590 shelf which is narrow & fits too far under the smoker box to be very useful. So the brackets I ordered are 14", which lets me space the shelf out 4 inches from the smoker, thus I can have more usable space. Also these brackets fold completely down so nothing protrudes out and into the cover when the shelf is down (like the current poorly designed supports). The shelf hangs 4 inches lower when down, but plenty of clearance to ground. They also have a quick release & are 304 stainless.

ABOUT YOUR QUESTION: I can use the existing bolt in the front of the legs (where the current shelf bracket is), so probably only drill a small hole at the bottom for a stainless screw to keep the brackets from twisting sideways. I'll probably fasten the brackets to the legs first, then drill the RT shelf & the bracket afterward, using a couple of wood working clamps to hold things in place. The top bolt holds all the weight & the RT fastener is fairly stout. If I still feel that the RT shelf is too narrow, then eventually I'll replace it with something wider. There is probably room for a 16 inch wide shelf.

Will send a picture when complete.

1605104501194.png

Folding Shelf Brackets 14 Inch, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Collapsible L Angle Wall Mounted Brackets, DIY Shelves for Table Work Bench Max Load 330lb, Pack of 2 with Install Screws​

Brand: DOMISL
4.4 out of 5 stars 316 ratings

Price:$27.99 FREE One-Day

I also ordered folding shelf brackets from Amazon (see below - $28). Scheduled to arrive today. I have the RT590 shelf which is narrow & fits too far under the smoker box to be very useful. So the brackets I ordered are 14", which lets me space the shelf out 4 inches from the smoker, thus I can have more usable space. Also these brackets fold completely down so nothing protrudes out and into the cover when the shelf is down (like the current poorly designed supports). The shelf hangs 4 inches lower when down, but plenty of clearance to ground. They also have a quick release & are 304 stainless.

ABOUT YOUR QUESTION: I can use the existing bolt in the front of the legs (where the current shelf bracket is), so probably only drill a small hole at the bottom for a stainless screw to keep the brackets from twisting sideways. I'll probably fasten the brackets to the legs first, then drill the RT shelf & the bracket afterward, using a couple of wood working clamps to hold things in place. The top bolt holds all the weight & the RT fastener is fairly stout. If I still feel that the RT shelf is too narrow, then eventually I'll replace it with something wider. There is probably room for a 16 inch wide shelf.

Will send a picture when complete.

View attachment 7149

Folding Shelf Brackets 14 Inch, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Collapsible L Angle Wall Mounted Brackets, DIY Shelves for Table Work Bench Max Load 330lb, Pack of 2 with Install Screws​

Brand: DOMISL
4.4 out of 5 stars 316 ratings

Price:$27.99 FREE One-Day
Hi I got the 10" brackets Now looking for a shelf.How big is your shelf going to be?
Thanks Dan

My current RT590 shelf is 10" wide. But only 8 inches is presently usable since the RT bracket positions the shelf slightly under the front face of the smoker box. When I use the new 14" brackets, I will move the shelf out 4 inches so I can put a larger platter / pan on it. If I did not have my current shelf, and had 10 inch brackets as you describe, I would probably go with a 12 inch wide shelf & try to locate it out a little from the smoker box. For that reason I would attach the brackets to the legs first, then locate the shelf on the brackets (when they are up) so you are satisfied. I am assuming you are talking about a shelf in the front. I also assume you are attaching the brackets to the front legs. Again I would try to use the existing bolts at the top front of the legs if possible.

Here's a few pictures. Getting ready to fasten shelf to folding brackets. The brackets are pre-drilled so I just need to mark the hole positions, drill and get some SS fasteners.I might add a 2" strip to the rear of the shelf to increase the width (decide after I use it for awhile). Would still have about a 2 inch gap to the fire box. So the front edge of the shelf is now 14" out from the smoker box. Much more usable. AND IT FOLDS FLAT, so nothing sticks out into the cover. These brackets have a quick release for folding down.

Attachments

• 590 shelf mod 1.jpg
    590 shelf mod 1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 590 shelf mod 2.jpg
    590 shelf mod 2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 590 shelf mod 3.jpg
    590 shelf mod 3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 590 shelf mod 5.jpg
    590 shelf mod 5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 166
By the way I used the existing bolts & location in the front legs - also happened to fit one of the holes in the bracket leg. I just drilled the bracket hole larger for the RT bolt to fit. After tightening, don't think I'll need a second fastener. Easy to add if I need it. Since I won't be putting anything very heavy (maybe 10 - 12 pounds) on it, it's probably OK as is. The original RT shelf bracket only used the same (one) bolt on each leg.

Here's the final assembly. Easy to raise & lower. The alum pan is the type I use for ribs. It is 13" x 21" and easily fits on the shelf - wouldn't fit without tipping before.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    461.5 KB · Views: 132
Hi Ok So you used the RT shelf and just moved it out some. What screws did u used to attach the shelf to the brackets?
Thanks Dan

I used 1/2 inch long 10-32 Stainless round multi (for std or Phillips screwdriver) head bolts with lock nuts.

Thanks kgm825! I ordered one of those. Gonna bolt it to the pellet hopper side just below the handle for grilling tools.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back