Purchaseed a 700, what modifications should I consider/add on?

ND RecTeq guy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
Ordered the 700 last Monday and supposed to be here next Monday, cant wait! But i keep see comments about modifications. The one i will be doing for sure is make my own shelf. Im thinking 14"-16" deep. The factory one seemed small and i didn't like the way the ends stuck out.
I had a 340 (loved it) sold it to get the 700. I didn't do any modifications to it. I also have rhe Bullseye. Only modifications i did to it replace the factory grate with a cast iron. Love that unit too!
Other than the shelf what other modifications should I consider for my 700?

3rd party wireless thermometer. Sadly, even though you just paid over $1,000 for a smoker that claims to have the ability to notify you... it doesn't work. Hasn't for a year. May not ever. If you don't already have one and were planning on your fancy new smoker to work as advertised, just get a separate thermometer setup before you learn the hard way by ruining meat and disappointing guests.

3rd party wireless thermometer. Sadly, even though you just paid over $1,000 for a smoker that claims to have the ability to notify you... it doesn't work. Hasn't for a year. May not ever. If you don't already have one and were planning on your fancy new smoker to work as advertised, just get a separate thermometer setup before you learn the hard way by ruining meat and disappointing guests.
I've had mine for around 6 months and gave up on the wireless bullsh*t. I was never even able to get it to connect. I wheeled it back inside beside the router and still never got it to connect. Its honestly all cleaned up and put away for the winter. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with my purchase just because of the wifi though. The amount of smoke that is generated at 225° or on the super smoke setting I disappointing. I smoked on it 3 times total. I've got a 26" weber kettle and a WSM. I've debated after this summer and our preference of charcoal actually selling the 700 to try and get a gravity fed charcoal smoker. I just don't want to loose my butt on the smoker

Ordered the 700 last Monday and supposed to be here next Monday, cant wait! But i keep see comments about modifications. The one i will be doing for sure is make my own shelf. Im thinking 14"-16" deep. The factory one seemed small and i didn't like the way the ends stuck out.
I had a 340 (loved it) sold it to get the 700. I didn't do any modifications to it. I also have rhe Bullseye. Only modifications i did to it replace the factory grate with a cast iron. Love that unit too!
Other than the shelf what other modifications should I consider for my 700?
Well I did the wheel mod, added a rotisserie, downdraft mod,put a smart outlet in the back with USB ports added a smoke daddy, stainless shelf on right and an automatic paper towel dispenser under the front shelf.

Cook on it for a month, then figure out what you need. :)

Shelf, comp cart, etc, etc.

My wireless works great.

R
Same for me. My wireless has been flawless other than the initial setup. Unfortunately my system has the 2 and 5 ghz bands using the same name and their is no way to change it. All my other 2.4ghz toys have had no issues on initial setup but the RT700 refused to connect. I had to turn the 5ghz signal down as low as it would go on my router and unplug the satellites for the RT700 to finally see my router. Once setup it has been great and I get all the alerts and the app works great for me. I even got alerts on vacation that my grill had been turned on and at what temp it was being used (son decided to cook burgers for himself and his brother). My only issue with the RT700 is I still have to cook briskets and pork butts on my stick burner if I want a really good smoke flavor. I've tried smoke tubes but still don't get enough smoke flavor for my tastes. Currently my only "mod" is I got the comp cart when I bought my RT700. Wish I had the skills to make the original set of legs into a table/cart but that is way beyond what I can do.

As for the wifi connection i had issues connecting my rt340 to our linksys. Our linksys recently went out and i purchased a nighthawk. I haven't had one issue connecting since getting the nighthawk router. When i connected my new 700 it was almost instantly.

Well I did the wheel mod, added a rotisserie, downdraft mod,put a smart outlet in the back with USB ports added a smoke daddy, stainless shelf on right and an automatic paper towel dispenser under the front shelf.
I’ve done many upgrade mods to my Bull and we are very pleased with the results. Please let me know what rotisserie you added to your Bull.

For those of you with wireless issues, does it claim to work on both 2.5 and 5Ghz? I'm wondering because I am wanting to order the grill this week, but I want to learn as much as I can first.

I made a point to see if the alarms worked yesterday when smoking a pork belly which turned out great! They did work for me.

I do think you have legit claims but for me, I rarely if ever rely on the grill to wake me up. For example, if I run a pork shoulder or brisket overnight, I will run at low or 225 overnight and then turn up to 250/275 during the day when I can monitor myself.

But last couple times I've use the app, the alarms have worked. I do wish they would have like a sleep mode or something where when those alarms go off, it makes a noise even if on vibrant or something.

I would recommend thermoworks if you need a third party one. I've thought about getting one.

For those of you with wireless issues, does it claim to work on both 2.5 and 5Ghz? I'm wondering because I am wanting to order the grill this week, but I want to learn as much as I can first.
I believe 700 only works with the 2.4 ghz but I believe the 1250 can connect to either(5 ghz or2.4 ghz).

This is true. The 700 is not a dual band wifi grill. While the 1250 is externally really just a 700 with a built in removable shelf, it has a cast iron heat deflector, and a dual band controller and a 3 RPM auger motor. Rec Teq removed the interior light for the shelf, and honestly, after a couple of smokes, the 700's light is almost worthless.

While I really like my 700, and think it is an overall better deal than the 1250, if I was doing all over I would have went with my first choice (Pitts and Spitts).

As for the wifi connection i had issues connecting my rt340 to our linksys. Our linksys recently went out and i purchased a nighthawk. I haven't had one issue connecting since getting the nighthawk router. When i connected my new 700 it was almost instantly.
Similar experience. Nighthawk connected right away

2E3C2C17-5B1B-46C0-9F46-71DCC8BA7310.jpeg
5E69E546-30B9-45A5-815A-40C9220DA173.jpeg

Just finished the fabrication on a shelf system for my 700 (with a TON of help and inspiration elsewhere). Between this, the drip shield were working on, heat deflector mod, and a BFG Heart im thinking im about as close as I can get to a homemade 1250 without adding an outlet lol

I'm with the camp that says use it a while and find out what it doesn't do for you and what you'd like to change.

The only mod I had done to mine in the first year was to put a seal on the door. It just keeps it cleaner on the outside. Had no effect on temperatures/consistency.

I don't grill/sear on my 700, but I was bored and recently bought a 2 RPM auger motor and did some tests. It definitely gets up to temperature for searing faster. After using it for some low temp ribs, I haven't found it to have changed the low end, so I'll leave it in until I find a reason it's not working as well as the OEM 1.6 rpm motor. Some guys run the 3 rpm auger motor as well, but have some issues with holding steady at low temperatures on warm days.

My list of mods to do has a good light at the top, so I can see what I'm doing at night. Along with that is a power strip mounted to the cart.

I'm with the camp that says use it a while and find out what it doesn't do for you and what you'd like to change.
☝️ THIS ☝️
The only mod I had done to mine in the first year was to put a seal on the door. It just keeps it cleaner on the outside. Had no effect on temperatures/consistency.

I don't grill/sear on my 700, but I was bored and recently bought a 2 RPM auger motor and did some tests. It definitely gets up to temperature for searing faster. After using it for some low temp ribs, I haven't found it to have changed the low end, so I'll leave it in until I find a reason it's not working as well as the OEM 1.6 rpm motor. Some guys run the 3 rpm auger motor as well, but have some issues with holding steady at low temperatures on warm days.

My list of mods to do has a good light at the top, so I can see what I'm doing at night. Along with that is a power strip mounted to the cart.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back