Pulled the trigger this morning on the stampede

vwtdi1955

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I’ve been looking at these grills for 3 months now and was trying to wait until Black Friday to purchase one, but when I saw the competition cart offered at half price I couldn’t resist. Now that I spent all my saved money, I realize I now have to purchase pellets and a cover. I’m looking for a good all around pellet that can be used for almost anything. From what I’ve been reading I’ve been zeroing in on a blend from Lumber Jack, maybe the Supreme and or the Competition with a couple of bags of Hickory. i have no Rural Kings around so I'm looking to purchase from Dick's. I saw this morning they are offering free shipping plus $20 off of a hundred. As for the cover...is there a generic cover that will fit fairly well out there to buy? Also, are the stock wheels and legs worth anything? Thanks in advance for any advice, help, and opinions. Happy being a new member and owner, Keith

LJ competition has worked well for me. I have used several other of their pellets with good results. Lots of options for covers. There are a bunch of old threads on this forum with links.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum! I’m sure you will be happy with your grill. Lumberjack is highly recommended by many members - I don’t think you could go wrong there. As far as covers, I would recommend a search on this forum. Many recommend them, and many recommend against them. I would look at the arguments for and against and determine if a cover is for you. I personally prefer a cover - Recteq sells them specifically for your grill. There are some posts on the forum where members have used the legs and wheels to make rolling preparation tables. That is what I would do, especially if you don’t add a front shelf to your grill.

I'm only a couple weeks ahead of you. got my grill on Wed. Did the initial burn in yesterday. I would go with the Recteq grill cover. fits the grill perfectly and I really like the quality.

I went with apple wood pellets and the perfect mix from cookinpellets. Based on how much I plan on using this thing, I kind of want to try quite a few until I land on a mix/brand that I like.

LJ competition has worked well for me. I have used several other of their pellets with good results. Lots of options for covers. There are a bunch of old threads on this forum with links.
Take the Rural King ad on your phone into Dicks. They matched the price for me. Walked out with four 20# bags at $8.88 each.

Congrats on your new Stampede!

I've only had mine for a bout 3 months and I'm still trying different types/brands of pellets. That's been part of the fun.

That being said, I do like most of the LJ pellets I've tried so far, especially their Supreme blend.

Enjoy!

I have a Stampede with competition cart and use a generic cover from Amazon: Classic Accessories Veranda Water-Resistant 46 Inch Pellet Grill Cover, $37. It fits well and seems sturdy enough.
I had this brand cover for my weber gasser. At 1.5 years old the entire top section dry rotted and fell apart. I was issued a warranty replacement. Again at 1.5 year old the entire top section dry rotted and fell apart, this time the warranty expired so I thew it away and got a custom cover that is going on 8 years old with plenty of life left in it. Granted, my grill sits out in the open with full sun on it most of the day.

Congrats I have had mine for a month or two and have been loving it. I bought the rec tec cover to support the rec tec folks they were really cool about a small issue I had after getting the grill. So far I have only used the rec tec pellet blend and it has been outstanding. Wish they were doing the deal on the competition wheels when I bought mine but I got the grill grates at the same time and they are awesome too!

Been using Smokehouse Blend at Sam's for $15 for 40 lbs. Seem to work fine. Not all Sam's carry them however.

Been using Smokehouse Blend at Sam's for $15 for 40 lbs. Seem to work fine. Not all Sam's carry them however.
I'm gonna have to check out my local Sam's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back