Pulled the trigger on an RT-B380

Congrats.. would love to add that to my tools! Enjoy and share your amazing cooks.

After months of going back and forth on it finally decided to pull the trigger on a RT-B380 this afternoon. Now to pick up some pellets and debate which accessories to get.
I think you will be happy with your choice!

I think you will be happy with your choice!
Gotta admit a big part of my hesitancy on buying it has been the multitude of reports with temp control issues. But at the end of the day my main goal for it is hot & fast grilling and I've got my old Oklahoma Joes grill and smoker for low & slow.

There's going to be a bit of a learning curve after 30+ years of smoking on this. But it's not real practical for small cooks.

IMG_9384 (1).jpeg

Gotta admit a big part of my hesitancy on buying it has been the multitude of reports with temp control issues. But at the end of the day my main goal for it is hot & fast grilling and I've got my old Oklahoma Joes grill and smoker for low & slow.

There's going to be a bit of a learning curve after 30+ years of smoking on this. But it's not real practical for small cooks.

View attachment 8252
You're right about the mixed reviews with the temp control issues. I'm starting to wonder if we have different firmware?

@CarpeInferi congrats on the new RecTeq RT-380.

As for pellets I've been very happy with the Lumberjack brand of pellets.
I use LJ also. Almost no powder compared to others I have tried. A little more ash because of the bark.

View attachment 8252
Great choice for hot cooks, searing and such. Enjoy.

can you sear directly on the plate under the grill? Is riot mode open flame and capable of wok cooking?

can you sear directly on the plate under the grill? Is riot mode open flame and capable of wok cooking?
No, that's the heat diffuser. Riot mode is just the controller dumping pellets in as fast as they can be burned essentially, but you still have the heat diffuser in place. I have seen someone either here or on Facebook that had found grates which had a circular void in the center to hold a wok, but no idea how well it worked.

I’ve been real tempted for a long time now to buy one of those Weber grates with the removable center, take the Bullseye’s diffuser out, and see how that would work on riot mode with a wok. My biggest concern is the size of the hole in the grate-I seem to recall they are 11“ in diameter, and a 14” diameter wok may sit too low to the fire pot.

So I've cooked on it a few times now and am overall happy with it, but am still dialing in the temp adjustments. Started out at 175F+ over at 400 (Signals probe tapped out at 575F) and 150F+ over at 300; after adjusting the offset some I'm now within 50F of the set point.

One question I have is should the bottom of the hopper assembly be curled up on one side an flat on the other?

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpeg
    IMG_2651.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2664.jpeg
    IMG_2664.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2665.jpeg
    IMG_2665.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 97
I'll double check before I use it next, I may have inadvertently flipped it after having to prime it to get things going.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back