Public Service Announcement: Watch your assh.

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I had not removed my drip tray and heat deflector in about 6 months of cooks. I filled two large 18" metal dustpans worth of ash out and I noticed it cleaned up my smoke. If you haven't in a while, jack up your Bull to the max temp, let it do a good burn off and then scoop or vacuum out the bottom. My ash was almost piled high enough to go down into the burner compartment where the pellets light. Can't be good for a clean smoke...

Attachments

• 1F42B6B3-D731-4DB8-9B83-444B79AAADCF.jpeg
    1F42B6B3-D731-4DB8-9B83-444B79AAADCF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
Some claim to leave ash in the bottom for extra insulation. Sounds like yours was getting to the extreme. I always vac out the firepot, clean the grease trough and change out the foil after I've gone thru a hopper of pellets.
Interesting thought on the insulation, especially this time of year. I honestly don't know enough to know if it does help with that. I'm in Kentucky so it only gets really cold a couple months a year.

I clean everything out every few cooks. I personally don't think a layer of ash will provide any significant level of insulation.

If you really want to minimize temp swings, putting a few fire bricks along the bottom is going to work better than an ash layer.

Having said, it might take forever to shut the darn thing down due to residual thermal from the bricks. 😳

Last edited:
Some claim to leave ash in the bottom for extra insulation. Sounds like yours was getting to the extreme. I always vac out the firepot, clean the grease trough and change out the foil after I've gone thru a hopper of pellets.
RecTeq actually told me about that one time I called. Since my smoker is pretty shielded from the wind I have not noticed much of a difference. I build up the "insulation" due to laziness! :ROFLMAO:. I would say I clean out the ash every 2 times I clean the fire pot. I would say the main benefit I have experienced was when a pork butt was dripping into the barrel without me knowing. The ash soaked up a lot of the grease and made it easy to clean out.

I live in Socal, so cold outdoor temperatures are not often a factor. I don't see any temperature swings with my 700. So, extra insulation isn't on my list. But if it were, I'd use an insulation blanket and still keep my ash cleaned out. :p

RecTeq actually told me about that one time I called. Since my smoker is pretty shielded from the wind I have not noticed much of a difference. I build up the "insulation" due to laziness! :ROFLMAO:. I would say I clean out the ash every 2 times I clean the fire pot. I would say the main benefit I have experienced was when a pork butt was dripping into the barrel without me knowing. The ash soaked up a lot of the grease and made it easy to clean out.
Like a litter box!

I just got a bullseye about a month ago. When I removed the heat deflector after a few cooks and noticed all the ash down there.

My first thought is that ash getting on my food? I dont see any but it has to with the way that thing is blowing like a jet engine.

Not crazy about that thought. Guess that goes with the territory of owning a pellet pooper

I just got a bullseye about a month ago. When I removed the heat deflector after a few cooks and noticed all the ash down there.

My first thought is that ash getting on my food? I dont see any but it has to with the way that thing is blowing like a jet engine.

Not crazy about that thought. Guess that goes with the territory of owning a pellet pooper
If you have poop on your pellets, don't use them!

Where do you use foil? I'm new to teh reqtec pellet smoker and appreciate anything that can make cleanup easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back