Proportions of a Packer, flat vs point

padlin00

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Has anyone figured out how much of a full brisket is the flat and how much is the point? Let’s say you get a 16 lb brisket, how much of that is the point vs the flat.

Why I ask… at Costco a full prime brisket is $4 a lb, a choice flat is $9 a pound, which is the better deal if you really only need the flat?

Has anyone made burger from a point?

Do half of it straight brisket burger and do the other half with half regular ground beef and half brisket; to figure out which you like better. I've only had mixed - never straight brisket. Not that I can imagine it being a bad thing, but remember it's not a brisket slider(and won't taste like one) - it's a burger, with cheese, toppings and condiments.

I guess I’m just not picky enough, but I like smoking (and eating) both the point and the flat! I have separated them on occasion, but still cook them together, usually stacked one atop the other.

Since the flat is usually thinner, it will cook faster than the point, so separating them allows for better temperature control. I separate them when the packer has a significantly thinner flat and thicker point. When the flat hits the desired internal temperature and passes the probe test, I pull it. Generally, the point takes about an hour or so longer.

YMMV

I get the feeling most folks are like you and like both, it’s just too fatty for us, as are a lot of beef cuts. Guess we just don’t eat enough of it.

My crazy head seperates for burnt ends and the flat. Grabbed one over the weekend for super bowl stuff and planning on separating the two pieces and finally trying my hand at homemade tallow. If I’m thinking straight when this happens I’ll probably start a new thread for pics and generally advice as I’m prone to make stupid decisions/mistakes

Yeah, I'm all for full packers that I always cook whole. We inhale what we can and some of my crowd prefers the point sliced over the flat. I take whatever is left and repurpose in brisket chili, brisket nachos, brisket and eggs, etc. or just vacuum seal and freeze for a quick something on another day.

I get the feeling most folks are like you and like both, it’s just too fatty for us, as are a lot of beef cuts. Guess we just don’t eat enough of it.
Hey, that's what life is all about; eat what you enjoy! IMHO, there's more than one way to enjoy what we cook. Grill/smoke on!

Has anyone figured out how much of a full brisket is the flat and how much is the point? Let’s say you get a 16 lb brisket, how much of that is the point vs the flat.

Why I ask… at Costco a full prime brisket is $4 a lb, a choice flat is $9 a pound, which is the better deal if you really only need the flat?

Has anyone made burger from a point?
Let me help you out. Snake River Farms American Black Wagyu Brisket @225 don't over season & pull @ 195-197 let it rest in foil wrap & towel for 20-30 min. inside a styrofoam ice chest Don't overthink this. Yep it costs more (2X) but it's worth every penny

About to do my first SRF brisket next weekend! Had one at a buddies house and hands down better.

We've been separating the two Muscles when I trim
Season and cook them as two Roasts
Our last couple of Full Briskets from Costco have left us with less than ideal Points
They usually end-up as Chili, Stew or Hash
The Flats are cut into multiple Meals
One sliced for that day, and the others are Vac-Sealed and Frozen
13 Nov Brisket 1.JPG

We've been separating the two Muscles when I trim
Season and cook them as two Roasts
Our last couple of Full Briskets from Costco have left us with less than ideal Points
They usually end-up as Chili, Stew or Hash
The Flats are cut into multiple Meals
One sliced for that day, and the others are Vac-Sealed and Frozen
View attachment 18563
What didn't you like about the points?

What didn't you like about the points?
The last few have been either laced with ribbons of Fat and left nothing more than "Pieces" after trimming, only good for Chili or Stew etc
Or, after trimming, there wasn't much of the Point left for slicing and eating
Of the last few, the one in this Pic was the best .... looks more like a TriTip, and it's from a 23lb Costco Packer:
1675696652383.png

1675696776401.png

That’s one of the reasons why I try to pick a smaller 12-15# full brisket (packer) @DenStinett; the points on them seem to have less included fat. When I do wind up with one that has a fatty point, I cook it whole rather than separating it. That way much of the fat seems to render out.

Brisket is always an interesting cook; no two are ever alike and you sometimes have to make an adjustment. Then, again, there is something to be said for smoked brisket chili or chopped brisket sandwiches. Not my absolute favorite (that’s sliced brisket), but they can be pretty good too. And, if you haven’t tried scrambling some chopped smoked brisket in eggs with Hatch Green Chiles, you certainly should. :unsure:

As always, YMMV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back