Trailblazer Problem?

BWT30

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
This is my second Rec Tec and I think they're one of the best smokers around. My issue is something that I'm experiencing with my new 340 that I didn't experience with my older 300, that is a cycle. When my older smoker was operating, it would cycle on and off, to maintain a consistent temperature. My new 340, does not do this and I really can't get a proper answer from CS. They asked if mine was keeping the temperature and I said for the most part. There have been some temp swings but they've all come down to within a few degrees of set temp., so they say that it working correctly, but I couldn't get a definitive answer. So does anybody know if it's supposed to cycle on and off or does the blower motor stay on during the whole process.

Second, CS is sending me another lid as mine is warped. there are major gaps at the edges and along the back to the point that in order to keep the temp up at the set point, this thing is using pellets at a very fast rate. Is it possible that because of the lid being warped, and the amount pellets being used to keep the temp, that those could be the reason why the blower motor is running constantly?

Thanks for your help!!

I typically see the fan cycle when temperatures exceeds set point.

So in other words, the blower fan should be on all of the time, and cycle on and off when the set temperature is exceeded.
My old 300 cycled on and off regardless, so I always thought that was the norm!:unsure:

Mine cycles to "maintain" temp, so yes, I hear the fan go on then back off, over and over. It also cycles when it's over temp although I've not noticed if it does it less frequently then when maintaining temp but that would make sense.

Smoked some ribs today....unit did not cycle on and off. Blower fan remained on the entire time.

Hopefully CS will help me with this.

As mentioned, the fan motor will cycle on and off to maintain a very low temperature. It will also cycle on and off to go from a higher grill temp because of overshoot, or a higher grill temp that you have now set to a much lower set temp. As example, you set the grill on 500* to grill something, turn it down to 225* to smoke something, it is not uncommon to have the fan cycle until it reaches 250*. That doesn’t mean it will continue to cycle once 250* is reached. The main means of controlling any temp in the recteq is pellet feed-if the controller can do that, then it will run the fan 100% of the time.

I see the same as @Greg Jones mentions also.. it is not often I catch the cycle but it will if it happen as described above. Of course that is the Bull if it helps at all. Mine was received in Dec. 2020.

Last edited:
Same here , mine hardly ever cycles on and off , I think all is good with your smoker , unless temp swings are out of whack

Thanks guys....just wanted to make sure nothing was out of whack....my old RT300 did cycle on and off regardless, so it's good to hear that what I'm seeing is normal!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back