Problem - Swivel casters on stock legs broke

mooncusser2k

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I store my RT-700 in the garage and wheel it to the driveway to cook. I noticed recently it wasn't moving around as well as it had been. Then I realized one of the swivel casters was crooked (think injured ankle).

When I called RT, the rep was helpful with suggestions to troubleshoot whether it was the caster itself (more likely) versus the leg (less likely but possible). He asked me to follow-up via email with photos and we'd take it from there.

Upon closer inspection, both swivel casters are failing. The one I noticed first is essentially falling apart. It's very loose and wobbling on the stem, and ball bearings fell out of the swivel. The other one isn't quite as far gone yet but is certainly going bad, too. Not what I expected for a grill I've had for less than 8 months.

After getting my email and photos, the rep called me back to discuss options. The casters are covered under warranty - but unfortunately, they're out of stock. I'm also concerned that replacements might not last long-term. In the end, I opted for an upgrade to the Competition Cart. That means spending some money, and they're helping with a discount (not as much as the current 50% offer with a new grill purchase, but it helps).

I'm disappointed with the parts failing. I don't think I've been beating up on the grill as I move it in and out of the garage. That said, I'm pleased so far with how RT have responded. Going to the Comp Cart seems like a sturdier/more robust option for the long run, even though it means a bigger project and more money. Fingers crossed it ships soon and arrives undamaged.

I store my RT-700 in the garage and wheel it to the driveway to cook. I noticed recently it wasn't moving around as well as it had been. Then I realized one of the swivel casters was crooked (think injured ankle).

When I called RT, the rep was helpful with suggestions to troubleshoot whether it was the caster itself (more likely) versus the leg (less likely but possible). He asked me to follow-up via email with photos and we'd take it from there.

Upon closer inspection, both swivel casters are failing. The one I noticed first is essentially falling apart. It's very loose and wobbling on the stem, and ball bearings fell out of the swivel. The other one isn't quite as far gone yet but is certainly going bad, too. Not what I expected for a grill I've had for less than 8 months.

After getting my email and photos, the rep called me back to discuss options. The casters are covered under warranty - but unfortunately, they're out of stock. I'm also concerned that replacements might not last long-term. In the end, I opted for an upgrade to the Competition Cart. That means spending some money, and they're helping with a discount (not as much as the current 50% offer with a new grill purchase, but it helps).

I'm disappointed with the parts failing. I don't think I've been beating up on the grill as I move it in and out of the garage. That said, I'm pleased so far with how RT have responded. Going to the Comp Cart seems like a sturdier/more robust option for the long run, even though it means a bigger project and more money. Fingers crossed it ships soon and arrives undamaged.
WOW, good deal @mooncusser2k. Glad RT worked with you.

It's always sucks to have something fail on you when it's not used in extreme situations or conditions. But at least RT is sticking to their word amazing customer service.

Casters are a pain. I use them all the time building custom furniture. I've had high end ones fail on me with in weeks of use. Just nature of the beast...

I am having the same issue, plus the regular wheel got caught in the gap in my driveway and bent the hub... I started doing the wheel upgrade because I didn't realize the original wheel upgrade was for the 680...

Update - I called and Alexis was a great help and I ordered the comp cart instead of just getting new legs and wheels (would just happen again if I kept everything the same).

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I do appreciate RT working with me on this. The cart is on the way and might arrive in time for assembly this weekend. Fingers crossed! My screw gun is charged and ready.

Seeing both casters fail like this tells me they're more for occasional movement, rather than my going in and out of the garage. The cart should stand up much better.

I'll have to think about repurposing the legs. I'll need to buy casters or feet when the time comes for that project. The RT rep was reluctant to ask for that when he already got approval to discount the cart for me, and I understand why.

Thanks for the comments. I do appreciate RT working with me on this. The cart is on the way and might arrive in time for assembly this weekend. Fingers crossed! My screw gun is charged and ready.

Seeing both casters fail like this tells me they're more for occasional movement, rather than my going in and out of the garage. The cart should stand up much better.

I'll have to think about repurposing the legs. I'll need to buy casters or feet when the time comes for that project. The RT rep was reluctant to ask for that when he already got approval to discount the cart for me, and I understand why.
Welcome @mooncusser2k. My RT-590 and cart has shipped. I have a piece of plywood ready to install during the cart assembly for a bottom shelf. Hope it fits. LOL

I bought all the parts for the wheel mod, and plan to do that after I replace my legs with the comp cart... I intend to turn it into a rolling prep cart... I'd just buy the stuff for the wheel mod...

I bought all the parts for the wheel mod, and plan to do that after I replace my legs with the comp cart... I intend to turn it into a rolling prep cart... I'd just buy the stuff for the wheel mod...
Have you checked if the casters fit on your RT-700? I noticed the ones suggested for the wheel mod are M12-1.75 threaded stems, but I was told to try 1/2"-13. Not sure if something changed when they went to the wide leg setup.

I'm looking to get some casters while waiting for the replacement comp cart. It's barely moveable in the current condition.

Last edited:
Have you checked if the casters fit on your RT-700? I noticed the ones suggested for the wheel mod are M12-1.75 threaded stems, but I was told to try 1/2"-13. Not sure if something changed when they went to the wide leg setup.

I'm looking to get some casters while waiting for the replacement comp cart. It's barely moveable in the current condition.

I bought everything from the list, got my grill on blocks, and then realized this would be way easier with the grill removed and if I just bite the bullet and buy the comp cart.

I pretty much stopped after that, so I only took the regular wheels off and not the casters...

I put the comp cart together tonight, but will need help switching the bull over.. Once completed I'll take a look at the casters and let you know...

If anything is wrong for the updated bull, I'll post here and on the wheel mod post...

I appreciate the help! Might take a chance on ordering some M12 casters just in case. Found some on Amazon that could get here for Monday or Tuesday.

Based upon the little work I did on the regular wheels, I plan to cut the ends and middle out and then punch it with a drill press.... It will be fun, as well as nail biting until the finish, lol...

Let me know how it goes with the M12s

Will do, I'm hoping the swivel casters are a simple swap. I ordered 4-inch Steelex, the ETA is Tuesday. Fingers crossed...

You're brave for taking on the fixed wheels. I certainly don't have the tools for that job. But it will definitely benefit from bigger wheels.

Many thanks to @Bmseay for reminding me to check the wheel mod thread! You saved me from getting the wrong casters. The Steelex ones arrived yesterday but too late to do them.

Just put them on, and what a difference! (Especially since the original casters are broken.). M12 thread is a perfect fit, they went on easy. My RT-700 moves like a dream now! Glad I moved up to the 4 inch, too. They have a higher weight rating.

I'll still do the cart when the replacement one arrives. But it's great to fix this and get it moving in the meantime!

Many thanks to @Bmseay for reminding me to check the wheel mod thread! You saved me from getting the wrong casters. The Steelex ones arrived yesterday but too late to do them.

Just put them on, and what a difference! (Especially since the original casters are broken.). M12 thread is a perfect fit, they went on easy. My RT-700 moves like a dream now! Glad I moved up to the 4 inch, too. They have a higher weight rating.

I'll still do the cart when the replacement one arrives. But it's great to fix this and get it moving in the meantime!

Great to hear it went well! Smoke on brother!

Man... The replacement cart arrived yesterday and it's also beat up. The box looked a bit better than the first one, but the contents sure got banged around. RT might want to reconsider how these are packed.

I'm gonna try piecing together between the two sets.

Hopefully these do better when shipped on a pallet with a grill, than what I'm seeing. I'd hate to think more people have the same issues.

Ups carriers insurance on anything valued over $99 I believe. I’ve had issues with UPS damaged goods before and they footed the bill for replacement items

Update: A back panel is being sent out. Packed all by itself, so hopefully UPS doesn't damage it like the carts.

I received mine, minor scratches on back panel, don't care to even call RT about it (I think they are tired of my calls - all three of my orders have had damaged parts or issues (Bull (legs/wheel failure) Matador (legs - bolt sheared during install) Bullseye (dents and scratches - will never be pretty))... My wife and I were able to lift off the barrel off of the old legs onto the new cart - all we had to do was remove the pellets, grates, drip pan and deflector and we made it work. I felt pretty secure removing the bolts while on the old legs, no issue and it just dropped right in. As a reference point, I'm a pretty big guy - 6ft 230 ish... my wife is 5'4 around 100 and we made it work without too much issue.

It looks amazing on the cart - like a tank... should be working on the wheel mod for the old legs in the next few months, as time permits...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back