Bull Problem - Swivel casters on stock legs broke

I received mine, minor scratches on back panel, don't care to even call RT about it (I think they are tired of my calls - all three of my orders have had damaged parts or issues (Bull (legs/wheel failure) Matador (legs - bolt sheared during install) Bullseye (dents and scratches - will never be pretty))... My wife and I were able to lift off the barrel off of the old legs onto the new cart - all we had to do was remove the pellets, grates, drip pan and deflector and we made it work. I felt pretty secure removing the bolts while on the old legs, no issue and it just dropped right in. As a reference point, I'm a pretty big guy - 6ft 230 ish... my wife is 5'4 around 100 and we made it work without too much issue.

It looks amazing on the cart - like a tank... should be working on the wheel mod for the old legs in the next few months, as time permits...
They can send you touch-up paint for the scratches. The damage I found was more than that. Some folks might have banged out the damage and lived with it, but I knew it would bug me in the future. Credit to RT for working with me.

As decent as the packaging was for my RT-700, it seems like there's room for improvement with other items. UPS didn't do them any favors either...

I store my RT-700 in the garage and wheel it to the driveway to cook. I noticed recently it wasn't moving around as well as it had been. Then I realized one of the swivel casters was crooked (think injured ankle).

When I called RT, the rep was helpful with suggestions to troubleshoot whether it was the caster itself (more likely) versus the leg (less likely but possible). He asked me to follow-up via email with photos and we'd take it from there.

Upon closer inspection, both swivel casters are failing. The one I noticed first is essentially falling apart. It's very loose and wobbling on the stem, and ball bearings fell out of the swivel. The other one isn't quite as far gone yet but is certainly going bad, too. Not what I expected for a grill I've had for less than 8 months.

After getting my email and photos, the rep called me back to discuss options. The casters are covered under warranty - but unfortunately, they're out of stock. I'm also concerned that replacements might not last long-term. In the end, I opted for an upgrade to the Competition Cart. That means spending some money, and they're helping with a discount (not as much as the current 50% offer with a new grill purchase, but it helps).

I'm disappointed with the parts failing. I don't think I've been beating up on the grill as I move it in and out of the garage. That said, I'm pleased so far with how RT have responded. Going to the Comp Cart seems like a sturdier/more robust option for the long run, even though it means a bigger project and more money. Fingers crossed it ships soon and arrives undamaged.
Same problem with mine ,less than a year
old and same scenario with rolling on concrete. Sent a email with pics and talked with CS and they sent replacement casters .. not sure about long term but for now was very satisfied ..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back