Probe Options

Hilbe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
What's everyone use for their probes? Just use the included ones or is there another brand/model that people use with the RT?

I use the Thermoworks Signal and love it. Allows me to monitor multiple temps, track it real time on my phone and make adjustments as needed.

As for the probes themselves I was using the ones that came with it. But I started to not trust them after doing several ice bath test with them, they never seemed to stay within range that was set... so I now strictly use the signal.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

I use the recteq probes also. I calibrated them with a Fluke dry well calibrator. I have had to replace my control board a couple of times, which requires recalibration each time. The new control boards seem to be off about 3 degrees every time.

the RecTeq probes have proven to be unreliable. RecTeq has even sent a replacement for one that was way, way off they can be used for gross measurements (hand grenade cooking) but a handheld digital instant read probe gets me to the finish.

Grill Eye. I love Grill Eye because it’s WiFi enabled to my phone and can handle 6 different probes at once. It has alarms you set. Even temp range alarms. Plus graphs.
I do use the recteq probes pretty often as well.

A forum member asked me to make a probe holder for the RT probes. Anyone want to take a caliper to the other probes? Curious if they're similar diameter on the probe and connectors.

Just ordered the Thermoworks Smoke X(4) - figured I won't have to use the Thermapen near the end of the cooks like I do when using the recteq probes. I used the same maverick for 20 years with my grilldome, but want more than one probe now. Hope the SmokeX lasts as long! BTW I like the idea of a good transmitter rather than wifi for me.

I use the Inkbird Wi-Fi thermometer. And a Thermapen to probe & verify.

A forum member asked me to make a probe holder for the RT probes. Anyone want to take a caliper to the other probes? Curious if they're similar diameter on the probe and connectors.
The recteq probe (L) compared to the ThermoWorks probe (R). The recteq probe measures .160" and the ThermoWorks is .140". The biggest difference between the two is probably the connector ends, where the ThermoWorks has a strain relief at both ends and a 90* bend on a male plug.

Attachments

• 505B3EF7-89D7-4B59-8D77-B4B62F32281B.jpeg
    505B3EF7-89D7-4B59-8D77-B4B62F32281B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 123
I will use the stock probes up to near the temp I want to pull at. I will then check with my Thermapen or DOT unit. I will use my Smoke from time to time for pit temps. I routinely test the stock probes against my Smoke and they are always within a degree of two, so I'm my book, that's fine.

I use the stock, factory probes for general use but purchased the Enzoo Extended Range Wireless 4 channel as a supplement. It has 10 preprogrammed modes that include “rare, med rare, med, well, etc. for many, plus you can do custom profiles and it has an oven mode. It also comes with a decent carry case. I admit I’ve only used it for a month (about 10 cooks) but it’s within 2 degrees of the RecTec ‘s range readings and the alarms make it impossible to ignore. I’m not giving it a full endorsement but the price point, range and functions seem nice. I also like the timer/elapsed time capabilities. They advertise a 500 foot range but here in the OC, about 300 is the farthest I’ve ventured. When my friends see me walking to the grill with it they ask if I’m Dr. Frankenstein.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back