Prime Time Brisket

tpack

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Smoked this 12+ lb. prime brisket on the Recteq for 14 hours. It started out weighing a little over 17 and I trimmed off 4-5 lbs. before tossing it on the smoker. This was my 2nd brisket on my pellet smoker and it did not have as much smoke flavor as the first one I smoked about 6 months ago. It was still very good and damn tender after resting in my cooler for 5 hours, but just did not have the same smoky flavor as the first. I think it may have been the Bear Mountain/ Recteq combination of pellets that I had been using. I think the last one was 100% Recteq competition blend so I I laying the blame on Bear Mountain. Next one will be with B&B Mesquite and maybe Recteq. I froze the point after smoking and will make burnt ends out of it in the future with different pellets. May be the last Bear Mountain(BOLD) I buy.

full-8162-269118-2nd_brisket.jpg

full-8162-269119-2nd_brisket_1.jpg

I'm not impressed smoke wise eith any of the pellets. I smoke my brisket and pork butt on my stick smoker first for 6 or so hours and then throw it on the pellet to finish it off. Much better flavor doing it that way for me, but I like a heavy smoke flavor to mine.

Looks awesome!

I'm not impressed smoke wise eith any of the pellets. I smoke my brisket and pork butt on my stick smoker first for 6 or so hours and then throw it on the pellet to finish it off. Much better flavor doing it that way for me, but I like a heavy smoke flavor to mine.
I have cooked on an offset smoker for over 30 years and was really impressed with my first Recteq brisket after leaving it on the smoker for 8 hours. This brisket had 12 hours of smoke and not nearly as much smoke flavor. I plan on changing pellets completely when I make burnt ends out of the point. It had to be the Bear Mountain pellets. That`s the only difference.

Smoked this 12+ lb. prime brisket on the Recteq for 14 hours. It started out weighing a little over 17 and I trimmed off 4-5 lbs. before tossing it on the smoker. This was my 2nd brisket on my pellet smoker and it did not have as much smoke flavor as the first one I smoked about 6 months ago. It was still very good and damn tender after resting in my cooler for 5 hours, but just did not have the same smoky flavor as the first. I think it may have been the Bear Mountain/ Recteq combination of pellets that I had been using. I think the last one was 100% Recteq competition blend so I I laying the blame on Bear Mountain. Next one will be with B&B Mesquite and maybe Recteq. I froze the point after smoking and will make burnt ends out of it in the future with different pellets. May be the last Bear Mountain(BOLD) I buy.

full-8162-269118-2nd_brisket.jpg

full-8162-269119-2nd_brisket_1.jpg
Curious about your smoke ring - looks like the down side got the majority of the smoke - not very uniform? Did you see more uniform distribution of the smoke ring as you went further into the meat where it was thicker?
I'm doing my first brisket on the @recteq tonight/ tomorrow after using my Egg for years, which I've always been happy with except for the fact that egg doesn't really provide a good atmosphere for bark to build up.

Curious about your smoke ring - looks like the down side got the majority of the smoke - not very uniform? Did you see more uniform distribution of the smoke ring as you went further into the meat where it was thicker?
I'm doing my first brisket on the @recteq tonight/ tomorrow after using my Egg for years, which I've always been happy with except for the fact that egg doesn't really provide a good atmosphere for bark to build up.
There will not be any smoke ring where the point lies underneath the flat . Here is a picture from my previous brisket on my Recteq that looks very similar and it had better smoke flavor. I also looked at pictures from briskets that I have smoked on my offset and they look similar also. The bottom photo is from a brisket I cooked on my offset/stick burner. I smoke all of my briskets with the fat side up.

full-8162-269229-b5.jpg

full-8162-269230-img_1137_2.jpg

I've not done a brisket yet in my only 1 month old 700 but plan to soon. I have noticed a lack of smoke flavor in some of what I've cooked so far. My old Traeger did give me a little more smoke flavor. My Thanksgiving turkey was ok because I had it on 180 for a while to get more smoke.
Certainly not a deal killer as the 700 is a wonderful smoker and the fact that it can get to 500+ is a major reason I got it.
However, I've yet to really play with many other pellet brands as I had a good deal of Traeger pellets left. They are good IMO but I did get a smoke tube to use because I knew I would not want to smoke a brisket without good smoke flavor. Maybe for some this would be a reason to look at other units but for $10 more for the smoke tube, I'm good with it. I'm not sure what Rectec could do to change things. They do mention putting some pellets on the heat deflector which I've not tried but that would likely do the trick for those not having a smoke tube.

I have cooked on an offset smoker for over 30 years and was really impressed with my first Recteq brisket after leaving it on the smoker for 8 hours. This brisket had 12 hours of smoke and not nearly as much smoke flavor. I plan on changing pellets completely when I make burnt ends out of the point. It had to be the Bear Mountain pellets. That`s the only difference.
What pellets did you end of going with?

I still have RecTeq, B&B and Bear Mountain pellets. Will probably go with B&B when I buy some more. I like the RecTeq, but to expensive to have the shipped to Texas. B&B are good and much cheaper.

Looks amazing T

I still have RecTeq, B&B and Bear Mountain pellets. Will probably go with B&B when I buy some more. I like the RecTeq, but to expensive to have the shipped to Texas. B&B are good and much cheaper.

Bass Pro / Cabela's has free shipping on orders over $50.00
We buy 5, 20 lb Bags at a time
Now that they own Sportsman's Warehouse, you gotta wonder if they'll do the same (?)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back